How's WP8 is better?

uzmarvel

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I came here to get advice. I used android and iOS but didn't like them as I did BB10. I heard many good things about WP8 (and tablet) and want to know what's better in WP8 compared to BB10? Can someone please comment on these points if I have alternative, or better option on WP8.

The things I love on my BB10

- First and best one is ability to sideload android apps. I use android app in case I need.
- Unified Inbox that has all/most accounts on a list (and many filtering options)
- External Media card
- No freezes and unknown background apps like android
- File manager ( I have all of my PC files, dropbox, media card on one)
- NFC ( I use it alot, especially for one touch file transfers, bluetooth pairing)
- LED/Home screen notification
- Swipe based intuitive navigation
- HDMI out (as i don't have DLNA or wireless TV)

I don't like:
- Limited app storage (16GB only storage for apps and games is not enough for me)

I know that Lumias have very good camera, fresh and intuitive UI but I'm not sure about freezes and battery life in general. And I know that WinStore has most of the apps I want but still hesitant to get one as my next smartphone. I know that I can use my z10 for at least 2 years and still want to try WP.

Can you guys state the advantages that I can get when I buy lumia for example?

Please respond reasonably as I'm not here to flame the discussion, I just want advice from guys who used or knows both BB10 and WP.

uzmarvel

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there're many people who switched from BB10 to WP8 or vice versa. I just want to get ideas. And I'm not a person who goes to store and buys a phone after playing with it for 5 minutes. There're people here who uses smartphone extensively.

I wrote the last line to avoid any bashing or statements like 'Why are you here?'. I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm here not to troll, but to get opinion.

I even set up my friends Windows Tablet and I liked it, I even played with lumia already, but didn't look into it that deep.

If you want me to get out of here please just not respond to save time for you and me.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
- First and best one is ability to sideload android apps. I use android app in case I need - No go on WP
- Unified Inbox that has all/most accounts on a list (and many filtering options) - You can combine all your email accounts into one - not sure about "filtering options".
- External Media card - Nope -- Some handsets do have the SD slot but it becomes part of the core filesystem, i.e. you cannot take it out, pop it into an SD reader or another phone.
- No freezes and unknown background apps like android - WP is, by far, the most stable OS I've ever used. I honestly don't think I've ever had the phone crash or need to be reset.
- File manager ( I have all of my PC files, dropbox, media card on one) - I use Skydrive for most of my files...it works well. Not the same thing - cloud storage and local storage.
- NFC ( I use it alot, especially for one touch file transfers, bluetooth pairing) - WP does this well.
- LED/Home screen notification - If you are used to BB notifications, then WP might be difficult for you. The live tiles are awesome but they are working on a notification center.Not confirmed that the notification center is coming, personally think it's unlikely since Live Tiles are such a core element of the design
- Swipe based intuitive navigation - I find the WP OS to be extremely intuitive. You can make it what you want by customizing your homescreen.
- HDMI out (as i don't have DLNA or wireless TV) - Nope. But Nokia does have the "Play To" option which is pretty impressive.That works on wireless displays only, I think?

cliftonj

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used BB10 a few times and have a WP device so I'll try to help...

-To my knowledge side-loading android apps isn't possible with WP. It could be but not as far as I know. You might find a few alternatives within the WP store for what you want anyway
- WP has a unified inbox system where you link accounts together into one place. You can leave a few separate if you want as well
- Expandable memory storage is available with the Samsung Ativ S, some Nokia Lumia phones (620-820), HTC 8S and maybe a few others
- WP is pretty solid and freezes aren't as common as on Android. Microsoft did a great job making WP run well on the lowest of specs
- I'm not sure if there's a file manager (probably not but there could be)
- NFC is on the Ativ S, and most Lumias
- I believe HTC maybe the only WP maker with a Notification LED on their devices (8X-8S) although Nokia has added a glance screen feature that shows the time and some other information on the screen while the device is turned off
- The navigation in general is pretty intuitive
- You probably won't find HDMI out until the next gen of phones. Luckily for you that's not far away. Announcements are due to be made this month and maybe the next. New devices should be hitting shelves within the next few months

The higher-end Lumias (920+) have great cameras especially in low-light but you're missing out on expandable storage which is currently only available on the low-to-mid range Lumias.

I have the Lumia 620 and it's a pretty good phone. The yellow shell really pops which I like and if I want to be conservative I can swap it for a black or blue one. Battery life for me lasts about a day and a half using Twitter, Facebook, checking websites, TXT-ing and taking a few photos. Games will chew the battery up faster but that's common across all phones. Freezes do occur but I think that's because I dropped my phone a few too many times. My last WP hardly ever froze.

Advantages? The main one is WP has a very long-term future. Microsoft and Nokia have bundles of money and they're going to keep working on it because everyone's buying a mobile device. Do keep in mind Microsoft's a bit slow releasing updates so you might just be fine using your Blackberry for the next 2 years. Alternatively, the Lumia 520 is an affordable and okay phone you can try out. It's the most popular WP device. If you find prices between the 520 and 620 or 625 to be pretty close like they are in my area go for the 620/625 model. It has a few extra features that make it well worth it. The back camera quality is okay (not the best) and the front one is terrible but it's a cheap phone and won't break the bank. In 2 years time after you've had a play with the cheaper model you can upgrade to a high-end one if you're still on board. Good luck!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I came here to get advice. I used android and iOS but didn't like them as I did BB10. I heard many good things about WP8 (and tablet) and want to know what's better in WP8 compared to BB10? Can someone please comment on these points if I have alternative, or better option on WP8.

- First and best one is ability to sideload android apps. I use android app in case I need.
- Unified Inbox that has all/most accounts on a list (and many filtering options)
- External Media card
- NFC ( I use it alot, especially for one touch file transfers, bluetooth pairing)

I don't like:
- Limited app storage (16GB only storage for apps and games is not enough for me)

I know that Lumias have very good camera, fresh and intuitive UI but I'm not sure about freezes and battery life in general. And I know that WinStore has most of the apps I want but still hesitant to get one as my next smartphone. I know that I can use my z10 for at least 2 years and still want to try WP.

Please respond reasonably as I'm not here to flame the discussion, I just want advice from guys who used or knows both BB10 and WP.

First, here is my review of the z10 as a WP user: http://forums.windowscentral.com/bl...-wpcentral-ambassadors-review-experience.html

Now to try and directly answer your questions:
-Freezes are very rare in WP. Most people have never had one. Personally, I think WP runs smoother than BB10 (though I haven't used the leaked 10.2 roms).
-Battery life depends on individual phones. That said, I would put WP, in general, as average. It does well but isn't going to blow you away.
-As far as apps go, WP is def. better than BB. Yes BB can sideload, but only apps that were meant for Android 2.3.3 and below (until 10.2 comes out). Also, as you know, it isn't as easy as sideloading apks. There is a process to it.
-WP can do some of the same unified Inbox abilities with different Hubs and Groups. It won't be as well as BB though.
-You can store media on SDcards with WP as well.
-Built in Here Maps and Drive are huge. They allow for download of the entire US onto your phone. That means your GPS will work great without and service. And it is free.
-WP supports NFC if the hardware is there.
-No LED notification unfortunately
-Navigation is pretty intuitive in WP. I found BB to be very unintuitive. That said, once I learned it, I very much liked it. WP with GDR2/Amber update can wake the phone with a double tap on the screen.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Some handsets do have the SD slot but it becomes part of the core filesystem, i.e. you cannot take it out, pop it into an SD reader or another phone.
This is true of WP7, not not WP8. WP8 handles SD card just as any other device does.

uzmarvel

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Great advices guys. Thanks alot. I don't want to try cheap models as it'll scare me away because of possible lag or bad camera quality. Based on above posts, I'll probably buy WP tablet soon to replace my laptop. But I'm looking forward to mobile computing plans of MSFT. I wish they had a docking station that converts a WP into a small laptop. That would be great.

I'll follow the news for lumia lines until I see compelling ones. I want to have WP or Ubuntu phone as my next communicaton device.
If I have 64GB storage I don't think I need SD card.

Notification is a must have for me. Preview messages from lock screen and fast reply from anywhere (both BB10.2) are the things I'm addicted to at the moment. I'm glad that I can install custom roms on WP too, will definitely use it.

I'll read that post about comparing BB10 and WP, thanks for that as well.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You can't install custom ROMs on WP8 devices. The ROM has to be signed, so only legit ROMs can be used. The only "custom" ROM installing that has been done is downloading the official ROMs from the unofficial channels (Nokia Care Suite).

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
So you don't want anyone to respond? First, there are barely any WP users and then you want only WP users that know and have used bb10...people who use/have used bb10 is even way less than wp8. Statistically you have just narrowed your sample population down to a few hundred if that in the whole world...and the chance they come to this thread makes it even less.

Since you know BB10 why don't you just listen to people who use wp8 and for yourself decide which is better? That way you get a lot of responders.

Cheers.

"used or knows". Lots of people know about OS's in theory but less have used both. I still think there are enough people with knowledge enough to answer his questions.

Relax, bro

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
What are your app and game dependencies? Moving to WP will greatly depend on your app and game use. I can guess since you sideload apps onto your BB that you must like a lot of apps. Many of the android apps available aren't available on WP. The only thing that keeps me from throwing my WP out the window is my iPod touch 4g. If i didn't have this device to help me get many games and apps i want WP would have been in the lake outside my house a while ago. I often think of that commercial where the couple gets robbed and the burglar doesn't take their old TV, and i think that if i get robbed as soon as a burglar sees the app selection he will hand it back to me. Basically, just so i can help you out leave something like your top 15 apps and top 10 games and i will check out some for you, and also let you know if there are any WORTHWHILE alternatives.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I often think of that commercial where the couple gets robbed and the burglar doesn't take their old TV, and i think that if i get robbed as soon as a burglar sees the app selection he will hand it back to me.

Actually, something along this line already happened, as reported here.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

- External Media card

I don't like:

could I recommend symbian ? such as the 808 pure view ?

uzmarvel

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
What are your app and game dependencies? Moving to WP will greatly depend on your app and game use. I can guess since you sideload apps onto your BB that you must like a lot of apps. Many of the android apps available aren't available on WP. The only thing that keeps me from throwing my WP out the window is my iPod touch 4g. If i didn't have this device to help me get many games and apps i want WP would have been in the lake outside my house a while ago. I often think of that commercial where the couple gets robbed and the burglar doesn't take their old TV, and i think that if i get robbed as soon as a burglar sees the app selection he will hand it back to me. Basically, just so i can help you out leave something like your top 15 apps and top 10 games and i will check out some for you, and also let you know if there are any WORTHWHILE alternatives.

No worries, I don't need much apps. Those sideloaded apps are just a better option I had so I took advantage of it. For me the most important things are offline navigation (nokia has it), cross platform chat (available in wp) and clean reach UI email client that I can integrate multiple accounts into one (such as outlook client) AND battery life (either swappable or huge internal battery). The rest is tolerable. And of course I'll take my time to check app availability before I buy.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Notification is a must have for me. Preview messages from lock screen and fast reply from anywhere (both BB10.2) are the things I'm addicted to at the moment. I'm glad that I can install custom roms on WP too, will definitely use it.

Hate to say this, but about half of what you want, you can't do on WP. Especially notifications. You would probably be better suited with an Android phone like the Moto X or a Galaxy Nexus line device. The Moto X does not come with expandable storage, but you can get a 32GB and they give you 50GB free of Google Drive storage. You can swap out storage on a Nexus device. And to be fair, the background apps that are the hot debate with Android aren't really an issue. You don't need an background app killer with Android like so many think you do (not to be confused with a Task Manager that @hopmedic is so against). If File Management is a high priority, again, you'll want an Android phone. It's basically a super flash drive. Plug it in and move and store anything you like. Many Android phones also have HDMI out. And most come with LED notifications and NFC.

However, I doubt you'll find an Android phone as snappy as the Lumia's. Even if you find one with a quad processor. Another thing - battery life. Unless you get a Droid Maxx, you'll probably want to invest in another battery if you intend to use the device. And as of the last few days, you'll not find a better camera than a Lumia.

So it comes down to what is most important. Unfortunately, WP can't offer all of what you're looking for. However, like me, if you're looking for a change and willing to give up some things, WP is a GREAT experience. I keep my Nexus tablet to soothe my Android desires and I have an iPod Touch to keep all my games I had previously purchased.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to try cheap models as it'll scare me away because of possible lag or bad camera quality.

The cheap models don?t lag. Some games need 1gb of RAM, and won?t work in the base models. That is the only problem, if you are really into those 5/10 games.

The cam quality is OK for what you pay, if you want a truly amazing camera, buy the 1020.

As others have said, some of the functions you are searching for are not available on WP. However, for me the only thing that really matters in that list and that BB does better is the notification system.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone 8.x isn't better. It is different.

To your points...

1. At the moment you won't be side-loading much of anything on a Windows Phone device. Thems the breaks, but what we lack in other ares we typically more than make up in others.
  2. You have the option for a unified inbox, but as others have stated it wouldn't be as robust as BlackBerry's solution.
  3. Some Windows Phone 8.x devices have expandable storage. Many do not.
  4. I've had freezing and restarts on just about every phone I've owned. When it happens on Windows Phone, while rare, isn't earth-shattering or jarring. I just try to find the offending application or combination of actions and try not to duplicate.
  5. Windows Phone does not have a file manager.
  6. If the hardware is present, Windows Phone supports NFC. (I've never used it on my phones)
  7. Notifications are handled differently. You won't get an LED. Your screen may flash, but if you miss it the only way you'll see you have a notification is either through a Live Tile, the lock screen or by going in the app itself. Usually, going into the app unchecks the unread ticker so you could miss a notification / message if you aren't careful. There is no way to adjust the toast notifications you get.
  8. Metro/Modern UI is fabulous. Silky smooth transitions and a polished, refined look you won't see anywhere else without serious modifications.
  9. DLNA support only

On the newer Windows Phone 8 devices (not secondary carrier releases of phones from earlier in the year), you should start to see more internal storage. Keep in mind 32GB on a Windows Phone translates into 29/30GB of free space. I know on Android a paltry 16GB can go down to 12 rather easily. This is why people like to root their devices and install a somewhat vanilla build of Android.

You'll have to play with a Windows Phone 8 device yourself and see if you like the trade-offs. Processing power should be about the same, same RAM and same graphics. Nokia has had a major emphasis on imaging in their devices. If the camera is not as important, maybe opt for the 920/925, etc. The 1020 is an impressive device based on the technology packed into the polycarbonite frame. However, it isn't for everyone.

I'm currently switching back and forth between a 1020 and an HTC One. Both are well made devices that go in two completely different directions. My wife will kill me though if I change phones again though. I am attracted to Android because of the applications. I also like the hardware of the HTC One. It otherwise works and meets my needs but the Lumia just feels right. I know the One is getting the Android 4.3 update on AT&T, but the 1020 is also due for an upgrade in the next 60 days. Fundamental basics on each device will be addressed, making them more compelling. Problem is I'm just as plugged into Microsoft as I am into Google. I would say a Google user is better suited to Android (no offense WP users), and a Microsoft user could enjoy a Windows Phone more naturally. iPhone users get everything else.

gogogadgets

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a really informative thread. I'm also a BB10 user who is looking for alternatives if BlackBerry bites the dust which looks very possible. Definitely won't be switching any time in the next year or so as I'm pretty happy and feel that, technologically, BlackBerry is that far ahead for the moment, but if they stop developing BB10, they'll fall behind and I'll hunger for the new stuff.

My question is about VPN. Do Windows phones have it, even as an app? It's built in to the core OS of BB10 and I just kind of took it for granted, but today at work we were trying to run tests on various devices on a private network and couldn't get my co-worker's Lumia 960 (?) to connect. Is VPN coming to Windows Phone any time soon or does it exist already and we missed it?

By the way, I love how civil it is over here. Reminds me of how CrackBerry used to be back in the day. ;)
Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss