Windows Phone's Market Share Makes Me Sad

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Were you looking for something like this?
*snip*

You bring up a good point with "9-10% of what number?". Percentage wise, WP did great! In real numbers, it's not so impressive. If you have a penny and I give you another one, I doubled your net worth. However, it's still pretty much worthless.

Very close to what I was looking for, just more of a breakdown per country to see what the 9% was part of. Not a huge deal, I think we all get the point. Statistics can be made to say whatever you want.

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
i use my work as an example, in Canada, corporate law firm, we have around 100 phones, 85 are iphones, 10 are blackberrys, 4 andriods, and my lowely little windows phone.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I bet that windows phone is at least at 10% in the Seattle area if not not more. I see them everywhere

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
We have 100 phones at my work, 3 are windows, 2bb and the rest about split between Droid and IPhone. I know one guy that just got 520's for his wife and son and a few who have spouses that use WP now. It is picking up...slowly.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have never seen anyone with a Windows Phone, in public. Lol. :/. Its even worse than Blackberries in my area. (Mid Michigan). My friends that don't visit tech sites/blogs had no idea what Windows Phone looks like. Most everyone who has seen/used my phone give positive praise, but not enough to make them switch platforms. Its takes alot for people to make that switch. Especially the kind of person who buy their phone based off a poll they made on FB... Lol. (Gotta stick to what people say is "cool".)

Last edited:

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it's nice to have something different than everyone else. I consider Windows phone to be a hidden gem that is my secret and would like to keep it that way.

attract

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's very interesting opinion, but it's not our responsibility to make Microsoft selling more Devices. They should do more than other OS to attack young people.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I, personally, know only four other people with Windows Phone (each of them are Lumia 900s).
I, personally, know only two other people with a Windows 8 tablet (Surface and Surface Pro, respectively).

Neither of these things means much to me, to be honest. I know 4 people with Android devices (4 Galaxy S III, 2 Galaxy S4). I know one with a Windows Phone 7 device (Lumia 900). I know 6 with iPhones (I think 4 are 4S, 1 is a 5, and not sure on the last one). I know 6 with Windows Phone 8 devices (3 Lumia 920, 2 HTC 8X, 1 Lumia 822). Different groups of people flock towars different devices, so it's tough to judge with a sample size within one's circle of peers.

I know one person with an Android tablet (ASUS Transformer), and 3 with iPads (2 iPad Mini, 1 iPad 2). I know no one with a Windows 8 tablet, let alone an RT one. I know no one on Vista, one on XP, 5 people on Windows 7, and 5 on Windows 8.

Again, just too small of a sample size to use one group (even a church congregation) to judge market share.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
One quick observation, the chart refers to shipments. If anyone remembers back in the early 2000's, Cisco and HP were counting units shipped to distribution partners as sales even if the product had not been sent to an end-user. The wording just makes me frown and think maybe all those shipments are sitting on shelves somewhere..don't Apples and Blackberries have a shelf life or expiration date? ;)

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That's very interesting opinion, but it's not our responsibility to make Microsoft selling more Devices. They should do more than other OS to attack young people.

And they can start by getting places to actually talk about the phone. I went into BestBuy 2 weeks ago, and they had a very small amount of phones "on display" with no banners. I picked up the mobile phone help paper they had with their phones, and there was 3 WP in the about 20 pages of phones it had. They didn't have the 1020 on display, nor did they have any cases or accessories in the aisles(or if they did they made no effort to show you where). It all seemed very nonexistent.

I might step into the AT&T down the street and see what they have up, but my guess is it'll be a similar experience.

Farhan Reehman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It's growing, albeit slowly. The fact is I don't think WP will ever be a volume leader the way Android is, Android is just too big already, it needs to find a profitable niche and own it, Apple have the high end nailed and will do for some time, maybe business, camera power users, something like that, they have close to 10% across Europe now and more in places like Poland and Italy.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
As the move towards ecosystems accelerates, and as Windows merges between form factors, I think we'll see a change in WP's fortunes. So long as MS don't miss the wave. I can't see many PC users switching to a Mac or a Chrome based PC to fit with their phone, so I'm expecting a good uptake of WP devices instead. As soon as we can run our apps on all our Windows ecosystem devices, I predict a marked change.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Expanding the market share of Windows Phone is going to be difficult, no matter how great it is. And we can't control what Microsoft does to advertise it either, although they have been doing a fine job. But we all have a role to play in this too- if you have a Windows Phone and love it then show it to your friends as family, show them what it does differently and why you like it that way. And then if they choose to switch over tell them to do the same.

Also, if you know anyone on a feature phone looking to get a newer model, recommend the Lumia 520/521.

The market share may be anemic right now, but we have power to make a change.
that will be difficult as the OS Is missing many features ,os bugs( other storage).now future updates show coming features but alit of those are on other os for a long time already that's why its very difficult right now .when wp8 matures abit then it will be easier

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As the move towards ecosystems accelerates, and as Windows merges between form factors, I think we'll see a change in WP's fortunes. So long as MS don't miss the wave. I can't see many PC users switching to a Mac or a Chrome based PC to fit with their phone, so I'm expecting a good uptake of WP devices instead. As soon as we can run our apps on all our Windows ecosystem devices, I predict a marked change.

Slightly off topic, but I also had the same thought as I was getting mad at Google for the whole Youtube thing. I was thinking to myself if I had one minute with Eric Schmidt, what would I say, and I figured it would be about Google apps and Microsoft. It went kinda like this
"so why wouldn't you support Windows and windows phone?"
"well, we here at Google support all viable platforms and we just don't see them as viable platforms"
"huh? Haha over 100 million people use Windows 8, I mean, I could see Windows Phone, but how could you not embrace the future?"
"we don't see windows as being the future"
"then what do you suggest I do if I want a Gmail and google now app?"
"buy a chrome book! We support those 100%"
"*chuckles* dude, I'm gonna switch email services before I switch operating systems, that makes no sense"

I never got past that part though

athaki

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
The part I find frustrating is that when I showed off the phone to my wife she said it was 'too confusing'. I really don't know what's so confusing about the interface.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The part I find frustrating is that when I showed off the phone to my wife she said it was 'too confusing'. I really don't know what's so confusing about the interface.

confusing = different

My wife says the same thing, she's an iPhone 5-er. Its very different from the respective norm, the icon grind setup.

As windows 8 becomes the standard windows OS, more people will become more familiar with the UI.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I think it is just that it's not immediately familiar. Some people just can't get their minds around anything they aren't already comfortable with no matter how simple it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99