Start screen scrolling

Charles Wang

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if this was introduced in GDR2 or Amber or a problem with my phone, but essentially, in the start screen, if you swipe down quickly, and then press the windows key, the screen will keep trying to scroll after you reach the top. It appears that the inertial scrolling controls are still working in the background after you press the start key. Not a biggie, but a bit jarring for a beautiful UI. The same happens if you swipe up quickly and press the start key. You will jump to the top, and then the phone will keep scrolling... a bit annoying.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
My sisters 620 had the same problem after the amber update. I did a soft reset and touch wood, she hasn't had a problem since. If you haven't tried already, to soft reset you power off the phone, and then hold the volume down and power button together and wait for the phone to boot, and then release.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh I thought you meant something else. Oh no, this has been the same since windows 7. You notice it more if you have lots of tiles on the start screen. Personally I think it adds to the naturalness of WP. Not a problem at all. I like it personally.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if this was introduced in GDR2 or Amber or a problem with my phone, but essentially, in the start screen, if you swipe down quickly, and then press the windows key, the screen will keep trying to scroll after you reach the top. It appears that the inertial scrolling controls are still working in the background after you press the start key. Not a biggie, but a bit jarring for a beautiful UI. The same happens if you swipe up quickly and press the start key. You will jump to the top, and then the phone will keep scrolling... a bit annoying.

Perhaps, it's just me, but why would you want to do that, at least, more than once?

Charles Wang

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh I thought you meant something else. Oh no, this has been the same since windows 7. You notice it more if you have lots of tiles on the start screen. Personally I think it adds to the naturalness of WP. Not a problem at all. I like it personally.

Really? I don't think i'ts natrual at all. I find it very jarring to have the screen continously bounce up and down. I think the start button should interrupt the inertial scrolling once it hits the top, but I guess this thread demonstrate that not everyone find it an issue.

Perhaps, it's just me, but why would you want to do that, at least, more than once?

If you have a long screen and start scrolling, then you decide its taking too long so you press the start button, or if you're looking for something, and change your mind?

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nothing. That's not the point. Besides, it's a perfectly valid use case, which MS has overlooked, and which makes the experience not as smooth as it could be.

Hmmmmm. Seems to me, from your posts, that it is exactly the point. You don't want to wait that 2 seconds until it stops scrolling.

It may be a valid case but it is also pretty lame. I think MS has better things to do than worry about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923