Will GDR3 be to WP8 what FroYo was to Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
With the release of Android 2.2 (FroYo) and to a certain extend Gingerbread, Android really took off as a platform. It was with these updates that it really matured from a niche platform to a serious contender.

Do you think GDR3 will have the same effect for WP8? Just like with Froyo we will be getting a load of new and much needed changes (rotation lock and notifications just to name a few), but also new hardware support. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 does not bring notifications :(

It brings rotation lock and an X for closing out of your apps. (As well as new hardware support) Hardly big features. But I agree with Wilsen. 8.1 is supposed to be the huge feature update. Hopefully closing the feature gap with iOS and android as well as more such as Cortana.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
GDR3 will do little to cement WP's position in the market. As far as I can see it's going to be pretty much like GDR2 - some features that people have wanted for ages, but also leaving out some features that people have wanted for ages. There's still a lot of key stuff that isn't being implemented. Perhaps 8.1 will make WP a viable OS for the masses. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
With the release of Android 2.2 (FroYo) and to a certain extend Gingerbread, Android really took off as a platform. It was with these updates that it really matured from a niche platform to a serious contender.

Do you think GDR3 will have the same effect for WP8? Just like with Froyo we will be getting a load of new and much needed changes (rotation lock and notifications just to name a few), but also new hardware support. What are your thoughts on this matter?

GDR2 is better them froyo

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
WP8 also has a lot of things that Froyo doesn't

With Froyo I rebooted my phone 10x per day also

Well yes stability was a problem with Froyo. My first Android phone had Froyo stock. Functionally though, Froyo isn't far behind WP8. It's actually ahead in some ways, due to app availability. Overall I would say it's at least on par with WP8. Try enabling rotation lock on your WP. Or emailing more than one document. Or editing an .xls or .doc file. Or quick toggling WiFi/bluetooth/data. Or setting your phone to go to Silent Mode when you get to church. And don't forget that Froyo was released 3.5 years ago, a lifetime in mobile technology.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
GDR3 is bigger than I expected but still not a game changer. The GDR updates have mostly added features already present on other phones and support for more hardware. They're keeping WP in the game but not more than that. Hopefully WP 8.1 will change that and have features that will wow people like Cortana. (unlike rooms and kid's corner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers