Don't lose the Back Button in WP8.1

Dev Jaykrishnan

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I like the search button. I do however think that it needs to become a button like the Back button.

When in any app the button should search within the app(emails, texts, phone calls, and pictures as well). When on the home screen it should be a full phone search where it looks for everything on your phone(Apps, texts, emails, pictures, people, etc.). Pressing and holding anywhere will bring up Bing.

BRILLIANT! I've quoted this idea over at Uservoice. Hope MS sees it !

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
For crying out loud the back button will work on phone with a back button (all current and upcoming phones). When phones come out without a back button, obviously we don't need it.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
i agree with you. I always accidentally hit bing search button when using my phone with one hand. I'm right hand man by the way

Disagree, most used feature on my phone. Plus, I think phone 8.1 will utilize the search button like it works in windows 8.

Dev Jaykrishnan

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
The changelog said that Windows Blue will be removing the function of the back button from the hardware requirements. That doesn't sound at all like it would be possible to use it on older devices that are 8.1 capable. Correct me if I'm wrong please ?

Dev Jaykrishnan

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand but i think you can see ur multitasking view by long pressing the homescreen...

Naah man! Long pressing the home screen button brings out Cortana. What they could do is make a virtual back key for the Windows 8 apps instead of disabling the hardware on Windows Phones

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yea, seriously, they tried that with android. First 4 buttons, then 3 buttons, then some OEM's like HTC started putting 2 buttons. All it leads to is fragmentation and confusion. The 3 button system is fine. Just make them part of the screen like android.

Imagine, a buttonless phone with Windows 10.3...

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
The button doesn't need to go away, but it has to have a smarter use than it has now and has to be integrated on the screen along with the Windows and Search buttons.

As it is now, closing apps with deep navigation is a pain in the ****. Off the top of my head I can think of the IMDB app and how much of a headache it can be to close it... I check a movie, then I check the one of the actors of that movie and his own movies... If I check another actor, closing the app can take about 30 seconds or more.

Having to go to the multitasking screen on purpose isn't good either... What we need is a way to close the apps directly from in app that doesn't require all that back-button pressing.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The button doesn't need to go away, but it has to have a smarter use than it has now and has to be integrated on the screen along with the Windows and Search buttons.

As it is now, closing apps with deep navigation is a pain in the ****. Off the top of my head I can think of the IMDB app and how much of a headache it can be to close it... I check a movie, then I check the one of the actors of that movie and his own movies... If I check another actor, closing the app can take about 30 seconds or more.

Having to go to the multitasking screen on purpose isn't good either... What we need is a way to close the apps directly from in app that doesn't require all that back-button pressing.

I agree with this. All we really need is the function to close or exit an application from within the application itself. This needs to be implemented by the applications developer.
Any of you guys who are familiar with Symbian will understand how this works. My N8 only had one hardware button which was multifunctional so I reckon that if MS do away with the back button it shouldn't mess with the operation of the phone that much.
That being said, I personally do like having a dedicated back button and use it all the time on my Windows Phone and my Android phone too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Why do you need to close the app? WP will close it for you once it needs to.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. All we really need is the function to close or exit an application from within the application itself. This needs to be implemented by the applications developer.
Any of you guys who are familiar with Symbian will understand how this works. My N8 only had one hardware button which was multifunctional so I reckon that if MS do away with the back button it shouldn't mess with the operation of the phone that much.
That being said, I personally do like having a dedicated back button and use it all the time on my Windows Phone and my Android phone too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

The entire idea to WP is to not gave all those freaking buttons like iPhone etc. Swipe from off screen down would be a good way if possible. Or a charm..

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
WP have the most logical back button.
removing it is like removing one of the best feature.
android back button for example works only until youre at the home screen.
while wp back button will move back where you came from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99