10-15-2013 02:06 PM
97 1234
tools
    I don't understand but i think you can see ur multitasking view by long pressing the homescreen...
    10-10-2013 05:38 AM
    Since windows 8 have no back button and windows 8 apps and games now will run on on both
    10-10-2013 05:53 AM
    I don't understand but i think you can see ur multitasking view by long pressing the homescreen...
    Naah man! Long pressing the home screen button brings out Cortana. What they could do is make a virtual back key for the Windows 8 apps instead of disabling the hardware on Windows Phones
    10-10-2013 06:07 AM
    it's just a RUMOR, why you guys so panic
    rcazador and nohra like this.
    10-10-2013 06:21 AM
    A rumor that WPCentral vetted as reliable.
    10-10-2013 06:29 AM
    Yea, seriously, they tried that with android. First 4 buttons, then 3 buttons, then some OEM's like HTC started putting 2 buttons. All it leads to is fragmentation and confusion. The 3 button system is fine. Just make them part of the screen like android.
    Imagine, a buttonless phone with Windows 10.3...
    10-10-2013 07:12 AM
    The button doesn't need to go away, but it has to have a smarter use than it has now and has to be integrated on the screen along with the Windows and Search buttons.

As it is now, closing apps with deep navigation is a pain in the ****. Off the top of my head I can think of the IMDB app and how much of a headache it can be to close it... I check a movie, then I check the one of the actors of that movie and his own movies... If I check another actor, closing the app can take about 30 seconds or more.

Having to go to the multitasking screen on purpose isn't good either... What we need is a way to close the apps directly from in app that doesn't require all that back-button pressing.
    kmoc777 and BadIntentVG like this.
    10-10-2013 07:32 AM
    Please keep the back button! I hate the iOS interface!
    lippidp likes this.
    10-10-2013 07:44 AM
    A rumor that WPCentral vetted as reliable.
    and it's still a rumor, Microsoft puts no words on this.
    10-10-2013 08:12 AM
    Still, doesn't hurt to make it clear to them where people stand on this, against or otherwise
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    10-10-2013 08:21 AM
    The button doesn't need to go away, but it has to have a smarter use than it has now and has to be integrated on the screen along with the Windows and Search buttons.

As it is now, closing apps with deep navigation is a pain in the ****. Off the top of my head I can think of the IMDB app and how much of a headache it can be to close it... I check a movie, then I check the one of the actors of that movie and his own movies... If I check another actor, closing the app can take about 30 seconds or more.

Having to go to the multitasking screen on purpose isn't good either... What we need is a way to close the apps directly from in app that doesn't require all that back-button pressing.
    I agree with this. All we really need is the function to close or exit an application from within the application itself. This needs to be implemented by the applications developer.
    Any of you guys who are familiar with Symbian will understand how this works. My N8 only had one hardware button which was multifunctional so I reckon that if MS do away with the back button it shouldn't mess with the operation of the phone that much.
    That being said, I personally do like having a dedicated back button and use it all the time on my Windows Phone and my Android phone too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    10-10-2013 08:24 AM

Why do you need to close the app? WP will close it for you once it needs to.
    10-10-2013 09:20 AM
    I agree with this. All we really need is the function to close or exit an application from within the application itself. This needs to be implemented by the applications developer.
    Any of you guys who are familiar with Symbian will understand how this works. My N8 only had one hardware button which was multifunctional so I reckon that if MS do away with the back button it shouldn't mess with the operation of the phone that much.
    That being said, I personally do like having a dedicated back button and use it all the time on my Windows Phone and my Android phone too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    The entire idea to WP is to not gave all those freaking buttons like iPhone etc. Swipe from off screen down would be a good way if possible. Or a charm..
    10-10-2013 09:27 AM
    Why do you need to close the app? WP will close it for you once it needs to.
    It's my way of doing things.
    10-10-2013 09:43 AM
    WP have the most logical back button.
    removing it is like removing one of the best feature.
    android back button for example works only until youre at the home screen.
    while wp back button will move back where you came from.
    10-10-2013 09:44 AM
    Here's what I think is the best utilisation of ALL the hard keys on a Windows Phone

Back Button:
    1) Load previous page( in browser)
    2) Hold to view running apps with option to close them( either gestures or X button )

Windows button:
    1) Load home screen (like duh)
    2) Hold to call Cortana

Search Button:
    1) Search content within the phone while on Home Screen and integrate Search option to be app specific. For example, while opening the Wikipedia app, instead of navigating to the search menu, just tap the button and input the search. Also, while using navigation apps like Here Maps, it'll be much easier to find what you want
    2) Hold to invoke Bing search

Volume keys:
    1) Hold to change track under lock screen.
    2) Zoom functionality while using Camera app.

What do you guys think?
    nohra likes this.
    10-10-2013 10:03 AM
    I'd like to see back button function as is, windows button long press opening notification center, and search button long press opening voice. Seems to make more sense, as the voice seems more tied into searching. Of course, having the home button blink for notifications would make even more sense.
    10-10-2013 10:19 AM
    Please go to the uservoice page and vote for this. Not having the Back Button working will be awkward and will do more harm than good to this beautiful OS
    Don't lose the Back Button in Windows Phone 8.1
    Voted with all 3 of my votes...

And turn the Search button into something usable, MS!! (I'd love a d-pad (not raised, just something flush with the face), but i'm sure that's just me... )
    Dev Jaykrishnan likes this.
    10-10-2013 10:53 AM
    Here's what I think is the best utilisation of ALL the hard keys on a Windows Phone

Back Button:
    1) Load previous page( in browser)
    2) Hold to view running apps with option to close them( either gestures or X button )

Windows button:
    1) Load home screen (like duh)
    2) Hold to call Cortana

Search Button:
    1) Search content within the phone while on Home Screen and integrate Search option to be app specific. For example, while opening the Wikipedia app, instead of navigating to the search menu, just tap the button and input the search. Also, while using navigation apps like Here Maps, it'll be much easier to find what you want
    2) Hold to invoke Bing search

Volume keys:
    1) Hold to change track under lock screen.
    2) Zoom functionality while using Camera app.

What do you guys think?
    I too have thought that would be a great function for the volume keys to have it zoom in and out on the camera.
    10-10-2013 10:54 AM
    I too have thought that would be a great function for the volume keys to have it zoom in and out on the camera.
    I don't understand why it wasn't there in the first place. Even older Symbian phones had that feature.
    10-10-2013 11:21 AM
    BRILLIANT! I've quoted this idea over at Uservoice. Hope MS sees it !
    That is what Windows Phone 7 did until they changed it to how it is now.
    10-10-2013 12:18 PM
    It's my way of doing things.
    Fair enough, but don't take away MY way of doing things. You will have a little x to close your apps in GDR3.
    10-10-2013 12:22 PM
    Please keep the back button! I hate the iOS interface!
    YES! Having a software back button and it being at the top of the screen is one of the things I HATE about iOS! I hope this rumour is just about them removing the requirement for OEMs not actually forcing it to be removed. This is how I see it...you know how they were on about asking Android OEMs to install windows phone along side android then this would mean that the phone couldn't have hardware buttons so it would have software buttons like some android phones so that it can dual boot without button issues because the buttons would be on the display
    lippidp likes this.
    10-10-2013 12:23 PM
    I can't imagine myself using wp without back button, but maybe MS has a brilliant solution to use phone without backbutton.
    So i can't just go and vote against the thing i don't even know yet.
    10-10-2013 12:25 PM
    I can't imagine myself using wp without back button, but maybe MS has a brilliant solution to use phone without backbutton.
    So i can't just go and vote against the thing i don't even know yet.
    Fair point. But incase you didn't see, all I did was ask them to make it an optional software patch that would allow the user to try the OS either with or without the back button. If the general reaction is positive, like you expect, then it's only a matter of time that they make it a permanent feature in their future devices. I believe that'll be a more better solution than waiting for MS to cook up a new version of 8.1 if this idea bombs.
    10-10-2013 12:43 PM
97 1234