Don't lose the Back Button in WP8.1

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeppers.

That and people should try new things. Some times the new way of doing this is better.

Again, I want to see what Microsoft has in mind first. It could be better, but I'm very happy with the current three button system. Microsoft ought to let us see what they're cooking up first, so we can get a sense on whether or not it's better.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Again, I want to see what Microsoft has in mind first. It could be better, but I'm very happy with the current three button system. Microsoft ought to let us see what they're cooking up first, so we can get a sense on whether or not it's better.

This!! I'm happy with the current layout, but if Microsoft is removing it, what they do to replace it should be good. And they shouldn't disable the button for the phones that still have back buttons.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind just the start button at the bottom in fact I think it would make the phone look sleeker

True, but again, I just want to see what Microsoft has in mind first. They managed to only have one button on Windows 8 devices because gestures pick up the slack for a lack of buttons,but gestures might not work as well on phone, seeing as they're smaller and more optimized for one handed operation.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I think they should still keep it, even if it does look slightly slicker. How about making the back and search buttons smaller?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
they can also add on screen back buttons where needed it doesn't have to be strictly gesture based

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm not not biggest fan of virtual buttons. They can easily move and end up in different places. Having a single back button in one place causes a lot less headaches. I'm open to what Microsoft has to offer up, but at present, anything I can think of just sounds worse than what we've got now. But who knows, maybe Microsoft came up with something revolutionary, something painfully obvious that no one saw before, but now that's it's here, it's apparent how much sense it makes.

Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Meagey

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
As I've mentioned earlier, I'm not not biggest fan of virtual buttons. They can easily move and end up in different places. Having a single back button in one place causes a lot less headaches. I'm open to what Microsoft has to offer up, but at present, anything I can think of just sounds worse than what we've got now. But who knows, maybe Microsoft came up with something revolutionary, something painfully obvious that no one saw before, but now that's it's here, it's apparent how much sense it makes.

Guess we'll have to wait and find out.

Good point!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think people are getting too worked up over a rumor. Paul Thurrot made some outrageous claims in the past and they never came true so i wouldn't put too much faith into what he says for now.

Please refresh my memory? Which "outrageous claims"?

And let's be fair... Thurrot is not claiming this is true, he's saying a single source that got several other things that only an insider would know correct (which Paul has NOT revealed) is saying that these things are true. Big difference.

I often disagree with him, particularly over the last year or so, but I do find that he is pretty careful about what he publishes and does not publish hyperbole just to get page views.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't mind just the start button at the bottom in fact I think it would make the phone look sleeker

There's some other kind of smartphone like that, isn't there? Can't quite remember the name... But I know I prefer WP over it by a long shot!

Rolandh

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I tend to forget to press the Back Button & just press the Windows Button, as coming from Android I'm used to the Back Button just backing up in an app then minimizing it and then having to use the Multi Tasking Button to close. So just tend to us the Back Button as a Back Button in apps & as the Multi Tasking Button, don't see the point of Closing 6tag to write an SMS then having to open 6tag agin when I can just press the Windows Button to get back to the Start Screen then open 6tag & then Multi task between the 2, GDR3 has done away with the need for the Back Button as you can just Close apps from the Multi task Window.

I'd put the Back Button in the App menus & make the current Back Button a Multi Tasking Button to bring up the open app list since GDR3 has introduced the Close Button on open app tiles to match IE tabs Window. I'd even take single press of Windows Button to go to Start Screen, keep long press as it is now, add double tap of Windows Button for task list & make the Search button a fixed bar at the top of the Start Screen with a press of the Search Icon to open a window that allows the selection of QR Code Reader, Local & Sound Search while pressing on the Search Bar brings up the keyboard and allows you to search directly instead of opening Bing to then Search.

Roland

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo