Personalize your Lumia's Glance screen with Glance Background beta

gajomau

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You're invited to try out the new Glance Background beta application, which allows you to customize the Glance screen on your Lumia with a personalized background image. Choose from several preloaded images or create your own.This trial is aiming to collect user feedback on overall usability of this feature, including quality of images, power consumption and editor features.
So, please give it a try and let us know how it works for you.
Note: The beta is provided as a stand-alone app for Lumia devices that support the Glance feature and that have the Amber software release. Check that your device is supported before installing.

source: Personalize your Lumia's Glance screen with Glance Background beta | Nokia Beta Labs

EDIT:

help the developers of this app, add sugestions, bug reports, etc --> https://betalabs.nokia.com/trials/Glance-Background/summary

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Works great on the 1020 got a couple of night time pictures taken on London bridge of the surrounding skyline. Most impressive.

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been tinkering around a bit and found these images look extremely good on the glance screen :)

Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Wallpaer-HD_jpg(14).jpg
    Wallpaer-HD_jpg(14).jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Wallpaer-HD_jpg(6).jpg
    Wallpaer-HD_jpg(6).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Wallpaer-HD_jpg(5).jpg
    Wallpaer-HD_jpg(5).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 16

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that images come out looking pretty bad? It looks like the app adds scanlines in addition to the excessive dithering.

I'm guessing it's all done to preserve battery life, but it looks like Nokia took the position of maximizing battery life on AMOLED displays. Battery drain for an LCD stems from the backlight, the state of the pixels isn't much of a factor. The whole screen could be white and the drain wouldn't be much different than having a single pixel lit. With AMOLED, however, there's an incentive to keep fewer pixels lit because each one does directly contribute to battery drain.

My point being that it would be nice if we had the option to disable that, even at the risk of increased battery life. But what I'm really waiting on are notification. That's the thing that will make glance really useful.

gajomau

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that images come out looking pretty bad? It looks like the app adds scanlines in addition to the excessive dithering.

I'm guessing it's all done to preserve battery life, but it looks like Nokia took the position of maximizing battery life on AMOLED displays. Battery drain for an LCD stems from the backlight, the state of the pixels isn't much of a factor. The whole screen could be white and the drain wouldn't be much different than having a single pixel lit. With AMOLED, however, there's an incentive to keep fewer pixels lit because each one does directly contribute to battery drain.

My point being that it would be nice if we had the option to disable that, even at the risk of increased battery life. But what I'm really waiting on are notification. That's the thing that will make glance really useful.

well, it's the first version.. go to the beta labs website and submit that suggestion..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)