Glance What is the point

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Easy, when you take it out of your pockets, you'd want to see what you have for notifications (future implement) and the clock.

I have my phone off and on vibrate but sometimes I don't feel the vibrate cause it doesn't touch my leg.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line is that it is nice to have more features/options even if not all use them. It differentiates the brand and expands the possibilities of what the device can provide to users. (Personally, I like it and am now enabling the new Glance Background as well.)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It may be useless to you now, but maybe later, it'll be useful. Of course I said that about Instagram being useless. When it came however, I got it. Eh, still useless.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
If the battery is your concern, you can set it to "peek", where it's only on if something moves over the sensor (like your hand, or pulling it out of your pocket, then it goes off after about 15 seconds unless you move your hand over the sensor again. So, no major use of the batter. But, if it's anything like it was on the Nokia N8, it it uses very little battery, regardless.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I just think it looks interesting. Granted, without notifications, I still find myself having to turn on the screen, but with GDR3, we get notifications rights on the Glance screen.

It's nice if you have it sitting on a desk or something, just a quick glance (see what they did there?) and you know what's up, without having to look. That couple with Double-Tap to Wake makes it very nice. Instead of having to reach for the power button, you can just tap on your screen and get you notifications view. And again, with GDR3, you get notifications on the Glance screen, so you could take a quick peek, decide if it's worth acting upon, then if you have Double-Tap to Wake turned on, just tap your screen so you can take action. I know it's not much, hardly a phone buying deal breaker, but they're both nice little features, and I've seen virtually no extra battery drain.

And if these features are useless to you, ok, go ahead and turn them off. You get to make a choice here, which I think is wonderful. Do what works best for you. I find myself constantly switching back and forth. No idea why, I just do. It's all on a whim, but hey, at least I can do that easily.

I myself am quite fond of the new pictures on Glance screen update. I'm just using one of the default backgrounds (the city scape), but it still looks nice, I just like it. No idea why, I just do. Again, virtually no extra battery drain, and I just makes my phone look pretty even when turned off.

So do whatever pleases you. Choice is key here, and I think that's a wonderful thing.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, OP. I agree so much with you. I'm mean really how hard is it to press the dang button? The way I pull my phone out my pocket my phone is already close to the button and glance seems just useless period. No matter what argument you say it is just stupid. It shows how lazy we are getting. We are adding backgrounds to the glance screen and soon notifications. Why not just press the button if you want to see a background and notifications. It doesn't take much.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, OP. I agree so much with you. I'm mean really how hard is it to press the dang button? The way I pull my phone out my pocket my phone is already close to the button and glance seems just useless period. No matter what argument you say it is just stupid. It shows how lazy we are getting. We are adding backgrounds to the glance screen and soon notifications. Why not just press the button if you want to see a background and notifications. It doesn't take much.

Come on man, what harm is there in Nokia adding a feature to a phone? It's not going to bite, you can disable it in the settings...

But really, this feature is useful to some. Not everyone is like you and me. For example, one person I know never puts her phone in her pockets; she puts it on the counter while she is working. It isn't going to harm you or me just because there is a feature that we don't need but some do. Besides, she thinks it's a brilliant feature, because she can conveniently see accurate time in big numbers on her screen.

That's almost like saying, "Man, we people are getting lazy, because Windows comes with a program called 'Narrator'. Why can't everyone learn to read?" It might not help you or me, but it helps others.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No matter what argument you say it is just stupid. It shows how lazy we are getting. We are adding backgrounds to the glance screen and soon notifications. Why not just press the button if you want to see a background and notifications. It doesn't take much.
We asked for more features and when features come people bash them. It's because of people like you that we can't have nice things.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

If you don't like it/need it, simply turn it off in the settings. It's that easy.

Why are we complaining about this? Glance is useless to some, yet very useful to others. There's nothing lost by having it as an option on your phone, so why bash it? I'm a firm believer in options, I feel people should always be able to chose what works best for them (I just get annoyed when people mindlessly follow the crowd, without considering how it benefits them. Eh hem, iSheep...).

Nokia is just helping to support Windows Phone by adding some nice and useful features. If you don't need it, simply disable it, problem solves. What's worthless to you could potentially be invaluable to others. And unlike Samsung where they jam pack it full of features in a somewhat unorganized manner, Nokia manages to add all this while maintaining a relatively clean look. However, I must admit, my Settings screen is getting a bit long, so a reorganization would be nice.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, OP. I agree so much with you. I'm mean really how hard is it to press the dang button? The way I pull my phone out my pocket my phone is already close to the button and glance seems just useless period. No matter what argument you say it is just stupid. It shows how lazy we are getting. We are adding backgrounds to the glance screen and soon notifications. Why not just press the button if you want to see a background and notifications. It doesn't take
much.

For those of us who have a wireless charging stand and use our phones as a nightstand clock, both Glance and the Double-Tap feature are useful, much easier than fumbling around in the dark for the power button, especially since the other two buttons are on the same side of the phone.

It's got nothing to do with us all getting lazy as you suggest, it's about ease of use in certain situations, and most importantly, a choice Nokia has given us.

I'm sure when we all learn to pull our phones out of our pockets just like you, the world will be a better place.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I know Glance is a nifty new feature but common u van always use ur watch and this glance really saps the battery's juice so better to,switch it off.
It does NOT sap the battery's juice on Peek, maybe if it's on all the time but on Peek, it doesn't. I charge it to 100% a few hours before I sleep, before I sleep I wave my hand over it many times during those few hour, during the night I check 2-3 times, in the am it's still at 100%, and I leave it on Peek all the time during the day, if it uses the battery set on Peek it's nothing measurable, set to all the time, maybe .

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It does NOT sap the battery's juice on Peek, maybe if it's on all the time but on Peek, it doesn't. I charge it to 100% a few hours before I sleep, before I sleep I wave my hand over it many times during those few hour, during the night I check 2-3 times, in the am it's still at 100%, and I leave it on Peek all the time during the day, if it uses the battery set on Peek it's nothing measurable, set to all the time, maybe .

Even when set to Always On, I there's no noticeable increase in battery drain (and keep in mind that I have Double-Tap to Wake turned on also). Granted, on LCD devices, like the Lumia 920, it might have a big impact on battery, due to the fact that an LCD screen can only be on or off, and nothing in between, but on AMOLED devices, like my Lumia 1020, individual pixels can be turned on or off, and so pretty much no impact on battery.

I like Glance and Double-Tap to Wake. They're both nifty features with no noticeable impact on my phone's battery. They're neat, even if I don't always have them turned on.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
We asked for more features and when features come people bash them. It's because of people like you that we can't have nice things.
So because people don't like an extra update added by NOKIA, MICROSOFT won't give us good things? Does that make sense? I also apologize for making the generalization that people using it are being lazy(Even though the counter example[like saying narrator is being lazy because they won't read it themselves] doesn't make sense, I understand that people like to so other things like cooking and have something read to them because they may not like reading or can't read at the moment, but that doesn't seem lazy to me.). I do understand a little of glance and I can admit I thought it was cool, but after the initial update I immediately tried glance and double tap to wake, and after experimenting with it even though I knew I wouldn't use it, I got bored and realized what a boring update it was. As I read these comments and examples glance makes more sense to me but double tap to wake for me is ALMOST completely useless. Only for those few people who keep their phones on their desk or counter(very dangerous too do at my school, so I don't do that) it might come in handy. But if my comment about it showing our laziness offended anyone, I apologize ��(why are WP emojis black and white?!?!).

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
For those of us who have a wireless charging stand and use our phones as a nightstand clock, both Glance and the Double-Tap feature are useful, much easier than fumbling around in the dark for the power button, especially since the other two buttons are on the same side of the phone.

It's got nothing to do with us all getting lazy as you suggest, it's about ease of use in certain situations, and most importantly, a choice Nokia has given us.

I'm sure when we all learn to pull our phones out of our pockets just like you, the world will be a better place.

How exactly do you pull out your phone anyway? The way I pull my phone it almost the way I hold it and the button is right there? I also keep my phone facedown in my pocket so that may be different, I know for most girls at my school(if they had windows phones[I have only seen 3 windows phones at my school in total, but they were all WP 7.8.]) they definitely could not pull the phone from their **** pocket and press the button, but maybe it could be possible.

Cinderella RT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Moto X best feature - Active Display | Android Central

Active Display is Glance done right. It's exactly how notification management should work, Nokia / Microsoft need to pay attention.
Not at all.
People keep forgetting the purpose of the lock button and of the lock screen: to prevent accidental input.
Same reason why I don't like double tap to unlock.
That's why I don't like app shortcuts and the like on my lock screen.
I love the idea of a screen full of useful info which takes no input, which Glance Screen brings to the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa