Glance What is the point

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I like it because when i take the phone out of my pocket, i get to see the time (and notifications in future) without doing anything. It also is convenient when i want to see the time in the middle of the night for some reason. Pressing the power button will cause the bright screen to turn up which will irritate your eyes. The current red time display is soothing.

Exactly!
I've been amazed how helpful it is to have glance over the past day. I use my phone as my alarm clock so I don't have a digital clock by my bed anymore. Without glance, I had to hit the lock button to see the time. First of all, fishing for your phone and the lock button is tricky in the dark. Second, if I unlocked it, the screen was really bright and jarring. But Glance solves that.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems useless to me. I can just press the power button to see my notifications and the time.

Sure I can hold my hand over the screen to get the time, it is just easier to press the power button. I find it completely useless.

you need 2 fingers pressure points to press power button , glace you need 1 finger , a simple example would be you have phone sitting on the desk for you use power button , pick the phone up , hold it and press power button ,

Glance - double tap.. your done.

hope it makes sense cheers,

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
We asked for more features and when features come people bash them. It's because of people like you that we can't have nice things.
I suspect there is something more to this Glance technology. Its right out in front, in our faces. There must be more to it and we might not see it until we get to GDR3.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
you need 2 fingers pressure points to press power button , glace you need 1 finger , a simple example would be you have phone sitting on the desk for you use power button , pick the phone up , hold it and press power button ,

Glance - double tap.. your done.

hope it makes sense cheers,
Two fingers?! Lol how do you unlock your phone?

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So because people don't like an extra update added by NOKIA, MICROSOFT won't give us good things? Does that make sense? I also apologize for making the generalization that people using it are being lazy(Even though the counter example[like saying narrator is being lazy because they won't read it themselves] doesn't make sense, I understand that people like to so other things like cooking and have something read to them because they may not like reading or can't read at the moment, but that doesn't seem lazy to me.). I do understand a little of glance and I can admit I thought it was cool, but after the initial update I immediately tried glance and double tap to wake, and after experimenting with it even though I knew I wouldn't use it, I got bored and realized what a boring update it was. As I read these comments and examples glance makes more sense to me but double tap to wake for me is ALMOST completely useless. Only for those few people who keep their phones on their desk or counter(very dangerous too do at my school, so I don't do that) it might come in handy. But if my comment about it showing our laziness offended anyone, I apologize ����(why are WP emojis black and white?!?!).

Haha, I feel the same way about Double Tap to Wake! I tried using it, but sometimes it even didn't recognize my taps which was quite annoying... And I felt it was more comfortable to click the Power button anyways!

As I said previously, Glance isn't very useful for me, but it is for someone I know. Especially when she's cooking, she puts her phone on the kitchen counter, and it's easy to look at the time in big numbers on the phone! 😝

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Not really. I prefer the Sleeping Screen.
See, I'm against Glance background. Not only because it seems like a recipe for screen burn, but because it seems at odds with what the purpose of Glance should be. Once the notifications (identical to the lockscreen) come, what's the point of the two coexisting at all? In my mind, Nokia is basically recreating the lock screen, instead of pursuing the future of a screensaver-esque feature. And that's what Motorola has done. When you get a new notification, it goes straight to Active Display – your screen doesn't have to light up with a full-colour background and display a toast that runs away after a few seconds. From the Active Display, you can view all notifications, open the recent-most, and even clear notifications. Heck, even the WP lockscreen can't do those things!

I love the idea of a screen full of useful info which takes no input, which Glance Screen brings to the phone.
Glance screen gives you a clock, not a screen full of useful info. At best it will become an always-on lockscreen, except you can't directly unlock it. Er, right. I feel there is a middle ground that can be found here, and that middle ground leans much further to the side of Active Display. Just look at the people in this thread. People don't even understand what the purpose of Glance is.

Last edited:

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Have you noticed that even if it is set at peek, the sensor is always on ( seen in low light ). That is the main battery eater.
If the battery is your concern, you can set it to "peek", where it's only on if something moves over the sensor (like your hand, or pulling it out of your pocket, then it goes off after about 15 seconds unless you move your hand over the sensor again. So, no major use of the batter. But, if it's anything like it was on the Nokia N8, it it uses very little battery, regardless.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
the only thing that appears on my 820 when it is set to always on is the clock what do have to do to get the others
plug your charger in or turn on battery saver.
When toggling volume, press the button on the right to toggle silent (remember to toggle it back afterwards!)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you noticed that even if it is set at peek, the sensor is always on ( seen in low light ). That is the main battery eater.
The passive IR sensor on the phone has a very low sampling quality. Is no better than those cheap *** single AA powered door motion sensors. And these things last forever.

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it's cool, since it is a feature unique to Windows Phone.

I don't think Glance is unique.Even Symbian s60v5 phones have it.S60v5 phones like nokia 5233

with their meagre 256 mb ram and 434 mhz processors had it.People suffer from memory loss as companies keep hyping about old wine in new bottle.

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Glance is unique.Even Symbian s60v5 phones have it.S60v5 phones like nokia 5233

with their meagre 256 mb ram and 434 mhz processors had it.People suffer from memory loss as companies keep hyping about old wine in new bottle.
I have a S60v3 as my secondary driver, i use it for web browsing daily. And it has glance too.

So i guess its not exclusive to WP then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720