At&t or Verizon?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I chose Verizon because where I live they suck less. Their coverage is better for the most part and I have had a lot of problems with AT&T in the past. So for me, it's less about phone options than it is about the carrier themselves.I have an 822 and I'm still very happy with it.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
That may vary greatly from market to market. When i lived with my parents, my vzw phone wouldn't ring unless I drove up the street, but I could see the local att tower blinking on the horizon. That is obviously not the case everywhere, but in western pa, att is the better carrier.
Yeah, ya gotta go with what works. What good is the coolest phone ever if you can't get a signal? I tried an HTC Evo with Sprint but ended up dropping them because their coverage was awful where I live and work. My phone spent 3/4 of the day roaming. Coverage is king.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wait, doesn't Verizon have sim cards now?

Only for LTE part. Some world phones also uses SIM card for GSM when you travel abroad.

Within US, you are limited to Verizon as the carrier only as CDMA is still used for voice. Outside the country, you will dependent on GSM. So, unless your phone is a world phone (Verizon's term), it will be virtually useless.

Don't forget, most Verizon's phone today still can only have voice OR data at the same time because of CDMA. Some phones can do both simply because it has two independent radios, one for CDMA, one for LTE and drains battery like crazy.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd say most of Verizon's phones can browse and talk at the same time, I'm fairly sure every phone that's been sold in the past year or two. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. Also you can just swap sims on a Verizon phone and the new phone will just work. The sim grabs the esn and activates the phone over the network, and in my experience is much easier than AT&T.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
need a choice for neither. Both of these carriers are crap. Now if you want to have a poll for which technology (GSM v CDMA) it is much easier. GSM all the way, CDMA is a dead end road.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
No iPhone, even the 5s and 5c, on Verizon has been able to do that. As for activation on AT&T, what activation? You plugin the SIM card and power on the phone. That's it. How Verizon could be easier than that?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
No iPhone, even the 5s and 5c, on Verizon has been able to do that. As for activation on AT&T, what activation? You plugin the SIM card and power on the phone. That's it. How Verizon could be easier than that?

Oh maybe that's the case with the iPhone I was unaware.

But with AT&T, id say more times than not, depending on what phone you are switching to it just won't work. Either the sim is the wrong size (dam all their sizes!!) or the sim becomes dead after use. (happens when switching to and from certain phones, I think the iPhones in particular)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Most of Verizon's LTE phones can do voice and data at the same time. SVLTE is Simultaneous Voice and LTE, and back when we were griping about what was taking the 928 so long to come out, one of the rumors was that there was a problem with the SVLTE on the device. With the iPhone, no iPhone has ever been able to do SVLTE on Verizon, while they can on other carriers. Just speculation, but this could be a hardware limitation with the CDMA models, or it could be part of an agreement between Apple and Verizon - who knows. Agreements are crazy.... But regardless of why, iPhones on Verizon can't talk/data at the same time, while iPhones on other carriers can.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Most of Verizon's LTE phones can do voice and data at the same time. SVLTE is Simultaneous Voice and LTE, and back when we were griping about what was taking the 928 so long to come out, one of the rumors was that there was a problem with the SVLTE on the device. With the iPhone, no iPhone has ever been able to do SVLTE on Verizon, while they can on other carriers. Just speculation, but this could be a hardware limitation with the CDMA models, or it could be part of an agreement between Apple and Verizon - who knows. Agreements are crazy.... But regardless of why, iPhones on Verizon can't talk/data at the same time, while iPhones on other carriers can.

I do recall reading somewhere that they crammed LTE and CDMA into one chip... I didn't even know you could do that lol

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
But with AT&T, id say more times than not, depending on what phone you are switching to it just won't work. Either the sim is the wrong size (dam all their sizes!!) or the sim becomes dead after use. (happens when switching to and from certain phones, I think the iPhones in particular)

That's not really AT&T's fault at all. Verizon also has different sized SIMs (full sized SIM on early world phones, mini-SIM on recent LTE phones and micro-SIM on iPhones). I have been using SIM cards with AT&T for over 10 years now and never encountered dead SIM issues. As for iPhone, when it was exclusive on AT&T (maybe still the case), you are required to have iPhone specific data plan in order to use iPhone on AT&T. But for everything else, there is no such requirement.

As for iPhone on Verizon: iPhone uses the same type of Qualcomm chip as other popular smartphones. The Qualcomm chip is capable of support both voice over CDMA and data over LTE at the same time. But Apple decide to disable this feature for the sake of longer battery life. Having two radio up at the same time is quite detrimental on battery life. This has been the Achilles heel of CDMA network. And as others have mentioned, CDMA is a dead end. Verizon itself is looking to switch over to VoLTE and shuts down CDMA network completely. When that happens, your current phone will be as good as a door stop. No current Verizon phone support VoLTE.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What that has anything to do with VoLTE or Voice Over LTE? If you like AWS (which refers to 1700 band), all AT&T LTE phones support that band already.

Well, I grabbed the article based on memory, and it seems memory has served me wrong. Reading it again, you're right. :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss