Stuck on version 8.0.10211.204 (Portico)

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey there! Very unfortunate that my first post here is a cry for help, but here it goes :(

I have a HTC 8X, and my phone is stuck on WP version 8.0.10211.204, the Portico update. I don't receive any other updates. I am a developer, so I tried the GDR3 update for developers, but it says that my phone is not up-to-date. When I go to updates, it says it is up-to-date. What can I do?

My device:
HTC 8X Vodafone branded (from Germany)
I have a Dutch Vodafone simcard in it (I live in The Netherlands, not Germany, but the phone comes from Germany).

wp_ss.jpg

What I think the problem is: I don't receive carrier updates because I don't have a German vodafone simcard in it. Could this be correct? Any advice on how to receive new updates? I don't want to flash it with a bootloader (unless there are no options left). I don't have warranty, as I have bought the phone used (I am moving to United States for a half year, and I don't want to be stuck on a contract, so I 'scored' a used 8X).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
That is possible yes, but isn't there another update between GDR2 and Portico? Correct me if i'm wrong!

Edit: GDR2 is 8.0.10327.77 so there should be another update in between, the one that is required for the GDR3 developer update.

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but the difference is, I bought Windows Phone 8 in Jordan and placed a Jordanian SIM card in it and I'm not receiving updates :)

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem but the difference is, I bought Windows Phone 8 in Jordan and placed a Jordanian SIM card in it and I'm not receiving updates :)

Hmm, strange. That could mean that it doesn't have anything to do with the simcard, we just have to wait for the carrier to push out the update, OR flash a stock HTC rom on it. i don't want to flash anything though :( Any other options are welcome.

Bernd Vantyghem

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm also still having this version 8.0.10211.204 (Portico); I have an Ativ S and my phone is unlocked (I'm from Belgium). I never had os updates from march till now :unhappysweat: :unhappysweat:

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, strange. That could mean that it doesn't have anything to do with the simcard, we just have to wait for the carrier to push out the update, OR flash a stock HTC rom on it. i don't want to flash anything though :( Any other options are welcome.

That's correct, updates have nothing to do with the sim card, it is all down to which carrier the phone is locked to

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia was able to release information regarding their updates, I don't know if HTC did a similar thing (I'm guessing no). One thing you can think of doing is unlocking your phone, if it isn't already. This may help things. However I think the simplest solution would be to flash it to a different ROM. That way you avoid the carrier thing all together. I personally think it's wrong for carriers to hold back updates but this is the reality.

You could try checking the German Vodafone website to see if they have released it.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So I guess flashing to unbranded rom is the only option for me? Can't find any info on updates on the German Vodafone website.

There are a few guides on how to unbrand the HTC 8X, I will try it out, and let you guys know if it worked.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
An update: GDR3 is out for Vodafone Germany, and I tried updating with country settings on Germany, and then on Wifi, still nothing! I think it does have something to do with the simcard. I will try updating without simcard, and let you guys know. Many people on German WP site with 8X and Vodafone have confirmed to receive the update :(

If the simcard trick doesn't work, I will try to flash it to stock ROM from XDA, and let you guys know if it worked!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
An update: GDR3 is out for Vodafone Germany, and I tried updating with country settings on Germany, and then on Wifi, still nothing! I think it does have something to do with the simcard. I will try updating without simcard, and let you guys know. Many people on German WP site with 8X and Vodafone have confirmed to receive the update :(

If the simcard trick doesn't work, I will try to flash it to stock ROM from XDA, and let you guys know if it worked!

Is your phone unlocked? If not maybe look into doing that? I have an EE (UK) I unlocked it and I'm using a Virgin SIM and I receive the updates (unfortunately stuck to EE though). Virgin does use the EE network though.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think it is unlocked. I have a Dutch Vodafone simcard, and the phone is supported by Vodafone Germany. As I understand, they count as different carriers for the simlock. I do have a Vodafone logo when I startup the phone, so it has a Vodafone rom I guess.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it is unlocked. I have a Dutch Vodafone simcard, and the phone is supported by Vodafone Germany. As I understand, they count as different carriers for the simlock. I do have a Vodafone logo when I startup the phone, so it has a Vodafone rom I guess.

If you had an unlocked phone then you wouldn't have this issue, you should be able to use any SIM from around the world. If you have a friend on a different network, see if it works on your phone. The SIM shouldn't be stopping you from getting updates if the phone is unlocked unless there's some special software that Vodafone has put on there.

I was able to use a SIM from Finland with my unlocked phone.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
SIM card should have not impact on updates. Branding is. If your phone is a branded phone by a carrier, you are bound to that carrier's release schedule unless you unbrand your phone by flashing unbranded firmware.

Even if your carrier releases certain updates, it doesn't mean you will get yours right away. Many carriers use staged roll out method to control the server congestion level.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Updates are rolled out according to IMEI number and have nothing to do with the SIM.

My ATIV S was one of the last to receive GDR2 which should mean that I'll be one of the first to receive GDR3 when Samsung release it. This is how updates are usually released, last to get one update means you are the first to receive the next update.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Updates are rolled out according to IMEI number and have nothing to do with the SIM.

My ATIV S was one of the last to receive GDR2 which should mean that I'll be one of the first to receive GDR3 when Samsung release it. This is how updates are usually released, last to get one update means you are the first to receive the next update.

You haven't read the thread have you?

He owns a 8X. It's from Germany, he lives in the Netherlands. Vodafone Germany have released all updates to GDR3, he's stuck on GDR1. He's using a Dutch Vodafone SIM. The only thing that makes sense is that it's locked.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
SIM lock should have no relation to it either. Besides, if his phone is still SIM lock, he won't be able to use any other SIM card to even make a phone call.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You haven't read the thread have you?

He owns a 8X. It's from Germany, he lives in the Netherlands. Vodafone Germany have released all updates to GDR3, he's stuck on GDR1. He's using a Dutch Vodafone SIM. The only thing that makes sense is that it's locked.

The SIM makes no difference, the only thing that matters is the IMEI number when it comes to updates. There are still unlocked, unbranded Samsung ATIV S devices out there that haven't got GDR2 yet as well. The SIM lock wouldn't matter either, just because Vodafone Germany released GDR2 it doesn't mean that Vodafone Netherlands have released it.

There's also the little problem of the GDR2 update for the 8X being pulled due to bricking issues so if Vodafone haven't released a fixed version yet then he won't get it.

Sid Arya

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Guys this problem is with all the handset of HTC.Even am also looking for solution of this problem as am holding HTC telestra Australia in India and not getting GDR2 and GDR3 but those updates are already released in Australia and even I am changing the location too from India to Aus.But nothing has been worked.So please help me too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa