Look what cool thing i found on my wp8 today.

sjgore

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The check boxes thing might seem obvious to experienced users, but for us newcomers we'd never know about these things if it wasn't for threads like this.

It's a bit like the "long-press a highlighted word to get the text cursor to appear" tip... very useful to know, but you could use the phone for years and never know about if you didn't read it!

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Opening the recent call list and pressing the phone icon rather than the name will redial that number, not open the contact's full information.

In a similar manner to the emails, pressing the left of a messaging thread lets you multi-delete them by checking.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
the notification that pops up at top of the screen, when it displays you can swipe it right and it will vanish

It vanishes too fast anyway. I'd like to have an option to keep it there until I swipe it to the right.

It?s not your fail. WP has to have tutorials for those things.

I'm pretty sure every phone comes with a manual in which these things are explained. It's just that nobody bothers to read it.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah but thought it would be nice to see what you found today. I would love to find a place that you could look with a run down of these little things but the thread you stated is fine should you want to go through pages and pages of comments to find not much.

It takes a lot of courage to discover something, the courage made me delete an important mail :p

You can take a screenshot using power button + window button at the same time
You can also usethe same check boxes in text messages :)
You can pin the marketplace as a tile, shows you updates available, if any
You can thank me for my efforts, if you'd like to hahah

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Two tips:

1) Before pinning a web site to the start screen, zoom in to a recognisable area (ie. a company or web site logo) and the tile will have the zoomed in content on it identifying the site, rather than an indistinct mini shot of the whole page.

2) You can use the screenshot function to 'backup' your start screen tiles as a kind of guide, so it is easier to put them back again after a hard reset.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Amazingly, post GDR3, you get everything back as it was post-hard reset. Themes, layout and apps!

Wait, is this true? Do you have a link to an announcement about that? I'm not planning to test it anytime soon, but boy was it annoying to lay out the start screen from scratch on my 1020.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wait, is this true? Do you have a link to an announcement about that? I'm not planning to test it anytime soon, but boy was it annoying to lay out the start screen from scratch on my 1020.

Well, I did reset my phone shortly after GDR3 (few days). This didn't work for me, so don't count on it. Perhaps the poster was joking? I think.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I knew this since WP7 roll out. :)

Hey all.

I'm sure we have all at some time gone ohhh my i didn't know that wp did that.

I randomly found today that if you tap left of an email you can select loads to delete.

Anyone else found something cool about there wp today?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just personal experience though I saw it in the news about the GDR3 changelog in the main site newsfeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786