Glance on AMOLED screens can't be good

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Being that AMOLED screens can suffer from burn-in, I'd imagine that Glance Screen would destroy any AMOLED display. Something to think about if you have a AMOLED display and prefer to leave Glance always on.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thought I would mention the position of the Glance Clock changes every five minutes or so. It moves up across my screen, presumably to prevent this exact issue. At least, it does so on my Lumia 928.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm it moves around to prevent burn-ins. Someone I know uses the option to keep Glance on always, and no signs of burn-in anywhere! :grin:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The pictorial glance screen backgrounds, however, do not move at all. OK if peek is set, but what about when on charge? Are we saying that the static glance backgrounds from Nokia are dangerous?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The pictorial glance screen backgrounds, however, do not move at all. OK if peek is set, but what about when on charge? Are we saying that the static glance backgrounds from Nokia are dangerous?

I'm going to repeat what at least two people have already said: the clock moves around. I have a background on my Glance screen, but the clock itself is not static.

NotSafeForWork

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

That's why Nokia put an option to have the background switch between all the selected pictures at a certain interval, so multiple backgrounds are recommended to prevent AMOLED screen burn.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've wondered if the scanlines alternate at regular intervals to alleviate the risk of burn in. Not that I'm going to sit there and see if it happens. But yeah, it's definitely a risk with AMOLED, especially given that blue subpixels have a much shorter life expectancy than the other colors.

txDrum

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The backgrounds periodically either rotate or turn on and off if you have only one image selected.

Apoorvdec

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
hey man i think you dont no tha nokia has already sovled this problem . To resolve this, the
displayed pixels are alternated every
hour to the ones that are otherwise
turned off, so that pixel burn won?t
happen. This has quite a happy
consequence. The image used for
the background almost looks as
though it?s on another, lower level
than the clock figures. Less pixels =
less light = it looks further away.

djmuzi

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When I look on the 808 and Lumia 925 display side by side the on the 808 the whole display except the clock pixels are completely off.
The Lumia 925 glows in dark grey ... Stupid ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb