Anyone know if they FINALLY put the HID Bluetooth profile in Amber update?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I assume you mean connecting a BT keyboard to your WP. Even if you could, how could you take good notes using such a small screen. I would find myself focusing on the screen and not listening to what I should be putting in my notes.

I would recommend picking up a Surface RT with keyboard. Much better option and more useable in the future for other things. Just my 2cents.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I assume you mean connecting a BT keyboard to your WP. Even if you could, how could you take good notes using such a small screen. I would find myself focusing on the screen and not listening to what I should be putting in my notes.

I would recommend picking up a Surface RT with keyboard. Much better option and more useable in the future for other things. Just my 2cents.

Maybe they just prefer a physical keyboard?

As to the answer, I believe it's no. Not 100% sure but I think the most recent update to bluetooth was GDR3 and that was only to fix connection issues. My understanding is BT 4 is coming in WP8.1, no idea if HID will be available.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This wouldn't be something for Nokia to add. This would be something for Microsoft to do, since a keyboard, for example, would need to interface on a low level with the OS. Therefore it's not something that would be in Amber.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This wouldn't be something for Nokia to add. This would be something for Microsoft to do, since a keyboard, for example, would need to interface on a low level with the OS. Therefore it's not something that would be in Amber.

Most people use the Nokia updates names rather than GDR2 or 3. Also GDR2 and Amber were bundled.

You are correct though.

Psycmeistr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site

Since I'm a pretty good typist I don't even need look at the screen while I'm typing-- so that's not an issue for me. I have a Bluetooth keyboard that folds to a nice compact form that makes it easy to carry-- much easier than carrying around a tablet, especially when you're a guy and you don't have a purse or anything.

I hear you with regard to its needing to be a Windows Phone update. I have complained on the Microsoft website time and time again regarding this oversight. As all my previous smart phones (including Nokia with Symbian) had this capability, in my estimation, it's an unforgivable sin for Microsoft not to include this capability in a phone that has business applications like Microsoft Office. It's not like it's new and complicated. Lots of other platforms have the HID protocol- it's been around for years.

It's the ONE THING about Windows Phone (other than the abysmal marketing of their platform) that really tees me off.

Last edited:

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they just prefer a physical keyboard?

As to the answer, I believe it's no. Not 100% sure but I think the most recent update to bluetooth was GDR3 and that was only to fix connection issues. My understanding is BT 4 is coming in WP8.1, no idea if HID will be available.

I thought Nokia included Bluetooth 4.0/LE in the Black update with GDR3. Nokia announced in October they would be adding the Bluetooth MAP profile but did not specify when.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
MS is also missing out on connecting to other BT HID Device like barcode scanner.

Exactly! There has been talk that MS and WP8 would be great fit for Enterprises but for many companies Barcode scanning is a requirement. Also other devices like credit card readers, remotes for presentations, remote camera shutter devices and remote controls for media could all use this functionality.

WP8s lack of adequate Bluetooth features are one of the reasons that devices like smart watches are hard to support on the platform. Add to that the inability to run in the background, access to incoming phone calls, SMS, emails and other notifications and it kind of holds back the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6