This just struck me: Windows Phone does not support connecting to external displays. So, I thought, if Microsoft decides to implement this feature in future, maybe they could borrow this idea from me (and give me a lot of dough for it, duh)
    Rumour has it that Microsoft will soon merge Windows Phone and RT. So when it happens why not do this: keep the Windows Phone interface while using the phone, and switch to the Windows RT interface when the phone is connected to an external display?

Of course, they can still keep improving windows phone this way, and yet have the ease of use and intuitive interface on phone. When connected to an external display, they could give us the full Windows 8 modern UI experience and apps...basically a fully functional surface tablet.

It will obviously need a lot of tinkering and changes to make the switch a little more familiar (to not make the desktop UI look very different from the phone interface, that is), as familiarity will make it easy to use in both the modes.

Difficult it might be, but it is worth a shot. What do you think, folks?
    10-16-2013 12:48 PM
    maybe they could borrow this idea from me
    No credit to who you borrowed it from? lol. Blackberry, iOS and Android can all mirror to external devices, in one form or another. Microsoft Surface tablets do this too.
    10-16-2013 12:57 PM
    This just struck me: Windows Phone does not support connecting to external displays. So, I thought, if Microsoft decides to implement this feature in future, maybe they could borrow this idea from me (and give me a lot of dough for it, duh)
    Rumour has it that Microsoft will soon merge Windows Phone and RT. So when it happens why not do this: keep the Windows Phone interface while using the phone, and switch to the Windows RT interface when the phone is connected to an external display?

Of course, they can still keep improving windows phone this way, and yet have the ease of use and intuitive interface on phone. When connected to an external display, they could give us the full Windows 8 modern UI experience and apps...basically a fully functional surface tablet.

It will obviously need a lot of tinkering and changes to make the switch a little more familiar (to not make the desktop UI look very different from the phone interface, that is), as familiarity will make it easy to use in both the modes.

Difficult it might be, but it is worth a shot. What do you think, folks?
    I keep on reading that in the not-too-distant future Windows 8 will encompass phones, tablets, and laptops, so that programs on all media will be interchangeable on an identical interface. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
    10-16-2013 01:22 PM
    No credit to who you borrowed it from? lol. Blackberry, iOS and Android can all mirror to external devices, in one form or another. Microsoft Surface tablets do this too.
    I said that it would be cool if WP had a desktop like interface in external display mode, which the competitors don't. But if you are bent on giving them credit, then alright they can have a few dollars too :P
    10-17-2013 03:24 AM
    I said that it would be cool if WP had a desktop like interface in external display mode, which the competitors don't. But if you are bent on giving them credit, then alright they can have a few dollars too :P
    Moto already did something similar, Google "atrix lapdock".

Not exactly the same, yes, but gave desktop-like functionality powered from a mobile device. It failed dismally, mainly because you needed the dedicated dock.

The problem with desktop functionality on an external display is the interface - how would you interact with that interface without plugging in a keyboard and/or mouse?
    10-17-2013 05:28 AM
    I keep on reading that in the not-too-distant future Windows 8 will encompass phones, tablets, and laptops, so that programs on all media will be interchangeable on an identical interface. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.
    What we often hear about is OS unification between one or more OS'. The more reliable sources never mention anything about that leading to an identical UI. That last part is made up by those who don't understand what unification is. Unification is about APIs, not at all about the UI.
    10-17-2013 05:49 AM
    I asked the developer of AirParrot if he had any Android plans - no dice.
    Might ask him about WP and WRT tho :)
    10-17-2013 05:52 AM