Nokia Selling Personal Phone #? Location App?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
So...I have the same phone number for 7 years now, and I only give this number out to friends/family and use my google voice for banks, jobs, utility companies and etc.

So I get the GDR2/AMBER update from ATT (last week), got the 'blocked SMS setting'/app enabled( just curious if it would work and tested it with my daughter)

A few days later I get a I get a text from 85760 saying
"Patterson Apple Day Reminder
See you tomorrow, rain or shine....Look for Dr. Laura's purple balloons as you enter off Mulberry"​

So I ignore it thinking someone has typed the wrong #, but then i get hit with the same message 5X more times...strange as I don't get spammed at all.

I then google (sorry Bing'ed ) and find out that there is a Pattern's Fruit Farm in my area and off of Mulberry Road! Hmm...

Dismiss this as a one time thing and move on

Well today, I get another another spam text from 347-575-6**3 saying
"Congrats! Your Mobile Number has one 5,000 GBP in the NOKIA UK MOBILE PROMO.
For Claims:+447937667620 & email n.promo [at] cash4u [dot] com"​

Huh...what?
How did the spammer know that I had a Nokia phone? Coincidental? Some Location based app selling stuff (thinking how did some machine know what general area I lived in and didn't send me an reminder about Foo being sold in Texas this weekend

edited:
I guess another theory could be one of my family/friends could have had their phone's contact list exposed and sold....but how would they know what area I lived in and that I had a Nokia phone?

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Or random phone number, and location "guess" based on area code?

didn't think of that (doh)

doesn't explain the Nokia Contest spam?

EDITED:
And on cue I just got a call from 503.305.5**3 sigh...

I don't have a lot of apps, but the one's I do have are going in the trash...should have been curious when that battery App required location services to work

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Huh...what?
How did the spammer know that I had a Nokia phone? Coincidental? Some Location based app selling stuff (thinking how did some machine know what general area I lived in and didn't send me an reminder about Foo being sold in Texas this weekend

it is clearly random Guess.. In my place people get such messages frequently [even my BSNL mobile got VODAFONE price :p ]. the problem is with apps like TrueCaller, free SMS apps and all. they take the contact information :D

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A random number generator discovered that it is a number associated with a cell phone and put it on a list. That's my guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234