10-26-2013 03:34 PM
69 123
tools
    Google does this periodically. It isn't unheard of for iOS to get an app/app update before Android (Google Currents was one, IIRC, and the current Hangouts update is another).
    FinancialP and MikeSo like this.
    10-18-2013 10:13 PM
    I'm ready to bet many (if not the majority) are using Android and iOS.
    And you would probably be correct. My boss is a Microsoft MVP and was recently to a Conference. He said that even there WP had a very light presence. It was mostly iPhone & Android. He himself uses Android. I realize that a lot of the attendees aren't MS employees, but they all make a living working with MS products and for the most part are MS fans.
    10-18-2013 10:16 PM
    "Microsoft got a head start on developing for Android and iOS by acquiring technology from HLW Software, which produced Remote Desktop equivalents until this month; there's no such luxury for Windows Phone." - Yes, Microsoft is working on a Remote Desktop app for Windows Phone
    10-19-2013 08:56 AM
    seriously this is just annoying,
    i'd understand if its from another 3rd party... but it isnt, its straight from Microsoft, giving me the finger, for buying their products..
    i think Microsoft is trying to tell us, that we should switch to andriod/IOS to enjoy a more premium experience, with better app support, and faster releases..

this is obviously not the first time, not even the second.. and this kind of behavior is what may finally push me away from the WP8 bandwagon.. losing the Nokia brand was already swaying me away :S

if they arent planning to release a Remote desktop app for WP8 , than thats a major problem..
    if they are indeed planning, but its still not ready. then sorry, other platforms should wait just as much as us , if not longer, get your priorities right, microsoft, please..

sad :S

/rant
    ms is looking at user base. they will effect more users by selling to android/ios than to wp. it's not a preference for sure, they would prefer to have 80% of the market to themselves in mobile, but they do not. so they work at making as many apps/client softwares as possible for the bigger user base.
    10-19-2013 09:23 AM
    Why would you need a remote control app on a surface? It is basically a computer in itself!
    He was just trolling, no one in his right mind would deny the need of an rdp client on WP.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-19-2013 09:43 AM
    Seriously should've held the app on the other platforms until it was ready for Windows Phone, this is just embarrassing. How are WP users supposed to believe in the platform, if it seems that even Microsoft doesn't believe in it?

I hope my friends don't get word of this, I know 2 who will give me a hard time for it. This is becoming annoying, I can understand third-parties pulling this, but when Microsoft itself does it, that's just a low blow...
    MyNL822 likes this.
    10-19-2013 01:53 PM
    How important is a remote desktop app, really?

It'll come to WP. Can't say I'm missing it before it does.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-19-2013 02:13 PM
    How important is a remote desktop app, really?

It'll come to WP. Can't say I'm missing it before it does.
    exactly. The only people complaining are doing it out of "principle". Quite how its slap in the face of the wp community to release an app no one actually uses on a platform they don't have goes completely over my head.

Snes is the best, no mega drive is, no snes is.

Grow up everyone.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-19-2013 03:02 PM
    exactly. The only people complaining are doing it out of "principle". Quite how its slap in the face of the wp community to release an app no one actually uses on a platform they don't have goes completely over my head.

I assure u , I use remote control daily, 3-5 times, from my tiny mobile... I also assure u that I ain't "no one", I'm a someone , so yea, that app does matter..

but ur right, its a principle issue.. today its this app, yesterday it was photosynth, tomorrow maybe it would be an app that actually matters to urself :)
    taking good care of ur customers >greed for new customers..

its the same **** ISP does here, they give nice offers to brand new customers, while the current ones can go f themselves,:P
    10-19-2013 06:48 PM
    If this app came out for WP8 first, it could help sell WP8 phones.
    10-19-2013 07:18 PM

Snes is the best, no mega drive is, no snes is.

Grow up everyone.
    It is the principle of the thing. I agree, it's not the most useful app, but it's just embarrassing that even Microsoft is prioritizing iOS and Android.
    10-19-2013 08:19 PM
    It is the principle of the thing. I agree, it's not the most useful app, but it's just embarrassing that even Microsoft is prioritizing iOS and Android.
    I like how a lot of the people here just assume that Microsoft doesn't care about WP. Assuming makes you look stupid.

Maybe they're not prioritizing iOS and Android. Maybe they're putting extra effort in a WP app that has more options. Maybe they're optimizing it for GDR3 release. Maybe they're testing it out on these two OSes so they can use the feedback to create a superior WP version. I can think of a million more maybes but we can only know why it happened if MS tells us.
    10-20-2013 02:29 AM
    you miss read post.

If you feel embarrassed because Ms released a remote desktop app on apple phones then i feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an app ain't one.
    10-20-2013 06:47 AM
    I like how a lot of the people here just assume that Microsoft doesn't care about WP. Assuming makes you look stupid.

Maybe they're not prioritizing iOS and Android. Maybe they're putting extra effort in a WP app that has more options. Maybe they're optimizing it for GDR3 release. Maybe they're testing it out on these two OSes so they can use the feedback to create a superior WP version. I can think of a million more maybes but we can only know why it happened if MS tells us.
    It's a perception issue.

How does Microsoft convince 3rd party software developers to port their apps to WP when they don't prioritise their own apps?
    10-20-2013 11:38 AM
    It's a perception issue.

How does Microsoft convince 3rd party software developers to port their apps to WP when they don't prioritise their own apps?
    it is a perception issue, but its the perception that releasing a random app has anything to do with anything.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!
    10-20-2013 11:52 AM
    you miss read post.

If you feel embarrassed because Ms released a remote desktop app on apple phones then i feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an app ain't one.
    I don't mean myself personally, I mean for Microsoft (more specifically, the Windows Phone division). This app is worthless to me, means nothing. But from an image standpoint, this easily looks like Microsoft cares more about gettings apps out to other platforms first. It just doesn't look good, and speaks ill of the company as a whole, especially when Windows Phone hasn't quite taken off yet, and many developers are often asking themselves why they ought to develop for it. Well, if even Microsoft won't push apps out in a timely manner, why should they?
    10-20-2013 12:32 PM
    I don't mean myself personally, I mean for Microsoft (more specifically, the Windows Phone division). This app is worthless to me, means nothing. But from an image standpoint, this easily looks like Microsoft cares more about gettings apps out to other platforms first. It just doesn't look good, and speaks ill of the company as a whole, especially when Windows Phone hasn't quite taken off yet, and many developers are often asking themselves why they ought to develop for it. Well, if even Microsoft won't push apps out in a timely manner, why should they?
    Throwing old ladies off a bridge would speak badly of tthe company. The apple/android dev team doing their job and making an app for ios and android whilst the wp team do their job and work on the os does not.

And you cant feel embarrassed for someone who doesn't themselves feel embarrassed.

Don't you think that people might be making slightly too much of an issue of this? Maybe?
    10-20-2013 01:19 PM
    Throwing old ladies off a bridge would speak badly of tthe company. The apple/android dev team doing their job and making an app for ios and android whilst the wp team do their job and work on the os does not.

And you cant feel embarrassed for someone who doesn't themselves feel embarrassed.

Don't you think that people might be making slightly too much of an issue of this? Maybe?
    Perhaps, it's just annoying how Windows Phone is always put last, even by Microsoft, so it seems.
    10-20-2013 01:43 PM
    it is a perception issue, but its the perception that releasing a random app has anything to do with anything.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!
    It is not a random app, it was written up all over the net, as a great new feature, and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.

I worked for two of the biggest hardware/software manufacturers,in the world, for over 30 years. Believe me this was a foolish decision on their part.
    10-20-2013 01:54 PM
    It is not a random app, it was written up all over the net, as a great new feature, and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.

I worked for two of the biggest hardware/software manufacturers,in the world, for over 30 years. Believe me this was a foolish decision on their part.
    It was written up all over the net because its a click bait story. It galvanises "tech" peoples dislike of Microsoft and allows for gross over exaggeration of perceived issues.

Just look at this thread, people throwing toys out of the pram and claiming Ms stabbed them in the back.

This is not an important story, this is not an important app. Its internet hysteria.

Also, saying things like "trust me i worked for" makes you sound like a 12year old, it may be true, but do you honestly expect your claim to make me just say "oh you did? Well shucks mr, you must know a whole buncha stuff that would just pickle my head. You are right and i am wrong!" no, it wont, You could be Tim cooke for all I care. It doesn't give credence to your argument, especially when its a claim this hysterical.
    10-21-2013 11:12 AM
    I use the Tappin client. Works pretty well to access files on your home computer.
    10-21-2013 11:25 AM
    By the way, nearly without fail, everytime an app comes out, I can place good money that it will be for iOS or Android. Ne'er a mention of Windows Phone.

Microsoft is SORELY under-marketing the Windows Phone Platform, which I consider to be far superior to either Apple or Android.

Whomever is in charge of marketing for the Windows 8.x Phone operating system is failing MISERABLY, and we are missing out on some otherwise great app ideas as a result. Nokia is towing the line as far as the cutting edge of placing Windows 8 as their platform of choice, but Microsoft itself isn't lifting a finger to advance WP8. A superior platform like WP8 should be commanding a much greater market share than what it currently does.
    10-21-2013 11:31 AM
    ... and implies that iOS and Android are more important, to MS, than WP.
    Maybe they are. Microsoft makes $1 billion+ a year directly off of Android, but so far WP has been a big money pit.

...the Windows Phone Platform, which I consider to be far superior to either Apple or Android.

<snip>

A superior platform like WP8...
    Well it seems that only 3.7% of smartphone users agree with you.
    10-21-2013 11:38 AM
    I too was wondering when this would show up.

I am sure that a MS Remote desktop app is in the works. As for Remote Desktop being useless on a phone I couldn't disagree more. I use it all the time on my phone. Nothing impresses a client more than being able to fix a computer problem they are having and doing it from my car, parked of course. I use two, One called remote desktop, Remote Desktop | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and costs a whole $1.99. The other is TeamViewer, which is free.

Would I like a MS Remote Desktop app? Of course. Is it a deal breaker for me? Nope.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-21-2013 11:44 AM
    There are 3rd party RD apps already, like the excellent Remote Desktop mentioned above. As big as Microsoft is, even they they have finite resources. Out of all the things they need for WP, native RD should be on the bottom of the list.
    10-21-2013 12:06 PM
69 123