Microsoft releases remote desktop app, for IOS/andriod, skips WP8

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft employees even use WP8 or they are all using iOS and Android on their phones.

I'm ready to bet many (if not the majority) are using Android and iOS.
Of course, some will hide that under the excuse "Oh, I have to know what the competition is up to". Which also should worry us...if they're waiting for Android and iOS to come up with stuff so they can later copy it, it doesn't really speaks well in their behalf.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
They can go and screw themselves actually lost my 925 last week ordered a shiny new htc one blue. Went from 900 to 820 to 925. Just had enough of their crap.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
There is no need for an rdp client on WP when you have it working perfectly on a usable device like a Surface. There IS a need for remote management dashboards/control panels however that are better suited for the small screen.
Why would you need a remote control app on a surface? It is basically a computer in itself!

Phone Guy 4567

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I understand why MS develops for other platforms and don't have any problem with them doing so, but to not release remote desktop on WP is just embarrassing. This is their own product and they don't care that it's not available on WP, yet I keep hearing about big bad Google not playing fair when it comes to the Youtube app. Google is a competitor and it makes sense for them to not develop for WP and it's small user base, nothing evil about it IMO. The fact that MS has consistently ignored it's own platform makes any criticism of other companies not developing for WP void of any merit IMO.

The argument that MS will put the feature into the OS is the same one that comes up whenever Skype falls behind. Android had video messaging long before WP and people were saying they are probably integrating Skype into the OS, hasn't happened yet but the Skype app finally added video messaging long after its Android counterpart.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Google does this periodically. It isn't unheard of for iOS to get an app/app update before Android (Google Currents was one, IIRC, and the current Hangouts update is another).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm ready to bet many (if not the majority) are using Android and iOS.

And you would probably be correct. My boss is a Microsoft MVP and was recently to a Conference. He said that even there WP had a very light presence. It was mostly iPhone & Android. He himself uses Android. I realize that a lot of the attendees aren't MS employees, but they all make a living working with MS products and for the most part are MS fans.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
seriously this is just annoying,
i'd understand if its from another 3rd party... but it isnt, its straight from Microsoft, giving me the finger, for buying their products..
i think Microsoft is trying to tell us, that we should switch to andriod/IOS to enjoy a more premium experience, with better app support, and faster releases..

this is obviously not the first time, not even the second.. and this kind of behavior is what may finally push me away from the WP8 bandwagon.. losing the Nokia brand was already swaying me away :S

if they arent planning to release a Remote desktop app for WP8 , than thats a major problem..
if they are indeed planning, but its still not ready. then sorry, other platforms should wait just as much as us , if not longer, get your priorities right, microsoft, please..

sad :S

/rant

ms is looking at user base. they will effect more users by selling to android/ios than to wp. it's not a preference for sure, they would prefer to have 80% of the market to themselves in mobile, but they do not. so they work at making as many apps/client softwares as possible for the bigger user base.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seriously should've held the app on the other platforms until it was ready for Windows Phone, this is just embarrassing. How are WP users supposed to believe in the platform, if it seems that even Microsoft doesn't believe in it?

I hope my friends don't get word of this, I know 2 who will give me a hard time for it. This is becoming annoying, I can understand third-parties pulling this, but when Microsoft itself does it, that's just a low blow...

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
How important is a remote desktop app, really?

It'll come to WP. Can't say I'm missing it before it does.

exactly. The only people complaining are doing it out of "principle". Quite how its slap in the face of the wp community to release an app no one actually uses on a platform they don't have goes completely over my head.

Snes is the best, no mega drive is, no snes is.

Grow up everyone.

Ali Assaedi

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
exactly. The only people complaining are doing it out of "principle". Quite how its slap in the face of the wp community to release an app no one actually uses on a platform they don't have goes completely over my head.

I assure u , I use remote control daily, 3-5 times, from my tiny mobile... I also assure u that I ain't "no one", I'm a someone , so yea, that app does matter..

but ur right, its a principle issue.. today its this app, yesterday it was photosynth, tomorrow maybe it would be an app that actually matters to urself :)
taking good care of ur customers >greed for new customers..

its the same **** ISP does here, they give nice offers to brand new customers, while the current ones can go f themselves,:p

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

Snes is the best, no mega drive is, no snes is.

Grow up everyone.

It is the principle of the thing. I agree, it's not the most useful app, but it's just embarrassing that even Microsoft is prioritizing iOS and Android.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It is the principle of the thing. I agree, it's not the most useful app, but it's just embarrassing that even Microsoft is prioritizing iOS and Android.

I like how a lot of the people here just assume that Microsoft doesn't care about WP. Assuming makes you look stupid.

Maybe they're not prioritizing iOS and Android. Maybe they're putting extra effort in a WP app that has more options. Maybe they're optimizing it for GDR3 release. Maybe they're testing it out on these two OSes so they can use the feedback to create a superior WP version. I can think of a million more maybes but we can only know why it happened if MS tells us.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

you miss read post.

If you feel embarrassed because Ms released a remote desktop app on apple phones then i feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but an app ain't one.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I like how a lot of the people here just assume that Microsoft doesn't care about WP. Assuming makes you look stupid.

Maybe they're not prioritizing iOS and Android. Maybe they're putting extra effort in a WP app that has more options. Maybe they're optimizing it for GDR3 release. Maybe they're testing it out on these two OSes so they can use the feedback to create a superior WP version. I can think of a million more maybes but we can only know why it happened if MS tells us.

It's a perception issue.

How does Microsoft convince 3rd party software developers to port their apps to WP when they don't prioritise their own apps?

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
It's a perception issue.

How does Microsoft convince 3rd party software developers to port their apps to WP when they don't prioritise their own apps?

it is a perception issue, but its the perception that releasing a random app has anything to do with anything.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb