Windows 8.1 update hanging at 78% ?!?!?

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
My computer updated, restarted and now Is Stuck at "Setting up 78%" for at least an hour... Wtf??? The wheel is still spinning..... I have an HP Envy 14 i7 Quad so it should be snappy. What should I do...

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
you really think so? Its probably been 2 hours now. Still spinning. Still 78%. I have a 1TB HD but its less than half full. And its only an update so none of that should matter... Sigh. Just want to know if anyone else is having a slow "Setup".

If it was me, I would probably give it another hour. Chances are you are going to have to restart your computer, but might as well wait a little more.

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I accepted the "Restore" option and now it's hanging at the MS Flag... Nothing else my HDD light is solid. Its been 20min. Guess ill wait longer. Reluctant to do this again... Or frightened to I should say. Sigh

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Restore was successful. Went to restart the update process and it did save the Download and is currently preparing the update. Round two. *DING, DING* Fight!

ksmithservices

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm at 78% again... Lol. Comeee onnn!!! At this point im just going to leave it. Let it do its thing. Obviously a process at 78%-79%-or 88% just takes a while. I don't get why it would need to since its an update, not a full install. Maybe data is migrated. Who knows.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine stayed at 88% for at least an hour, but it installed fine once it finally got past that point.

I did mine in the afternoon ~12 PM EDT.

Andrew Roberts2

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
After about 1+ hour it went from 78% to 86%. It's moving and I'm sure not going to fail so just be patient. Wait... lol...just finished. And restarting... (for real)
Let ya know how it goes in a sec

Andrew Roberts2

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
100% Perfect. I'm on the comp now...It's just a game of patience. Considering it is in fact a large update, it will take time. I'd say about 3 hours. Good luck to anyone updating. Don't get frustrated if it hangs for a bit at whatever percentage and at whatever stage. It will happen and it will continue to completion. Don't restart.

Traventine

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here, except for me, its 82%. I've restarted my comp, but with it stopping at 82% again. And people wonder why I hate Windows. It costs $200 for an OS that barely works, then you cant even install it. GG Bill Gates, GG.

CDH1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Same issue. Seemed to hang at 82% for about an hour and a half. Was about to restart when I saw this forum and decided to wait a little longer. Patience seems to have paid off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo