Windows 8.1 volume steps...

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody.

Does someone notice that the increase or decrease volume now instead of steps of 2, is with steps of 4? Is there a way to take back the old Windows 8 volume steps?

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody.

Does someone notice that the increase or decrease volume now instead of steps of 2, is with steps of 4? Is there a way to take back the old Windows 8 volume steps?

My biggest pet peeve for me right now. On my Surface it decreases by two steps, but on my Dell XPS 17 it adjusts volume by four steps and its annoying me like crazy. Hope there is a way that this can be changed back to the way it was in Windows 8.0.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I made some changes to the audio drivers and software on my computer. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 I found that a lot of my drivers were actually reset to the default manual drivers. This really screwed up some things on my laptop. However, I went to the Realtek website (which is the manufacturer for my audio drivers) and downloaded the latest driver which included compatibility for Windows 8.1. You may lose some functionality provided by Dell. However it is also possible that Dell's audio software for me was attempting to raise the volume at the same time, causing the volume to be raised in four steps instead of two. Regardless after installing the latest drivers (which I think disabled Dell's unnecessary software) my volume now increases as it is supposed to- in two steps. Hopefully this helps others. If you have any questions, I'll try and help out the best I can.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Probably a stupid question, but why doesn't it increase in steps of 1? Is the scale too fine grained?

hmm not sure. I know if you go in the desktop you can fine tune the volume in the system tray in steps of one by clicking on it. Using the volume keys or scroll wheel will move in 2 step increments

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Probably because someone decided that it had to go from 0 to 100, and they only wanted 50 steps. Isn't a scale of 0-100 with even numbers better than a scale of 0-50 with all integers?

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems to depend on how fast/long you press the volume button. Mine will increment/decrement in steps of two, but if I hold the button or press it quickly a few times in a row it'll jump to 4, 8, sometimes 10 steps at a time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs