Win 8.1 "remove everything and reinstall Windows"

Pitiated

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I downloaded Windows 8.1 today (coming from Windows 8), and I have to say I really like it.

Anyway... after the update I was trying to start over completely (format - reset), but the "remove everything and reinstall Windows" is not working and I really want to start from 0. I click on "Get Started" and seconds later, it tells me that "some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide this files". As you can guess, I don't know where to get this files and I don't have my Windows installation, because my Windows 8 was a digital purchase and the upgrade to 8.1 was directly from the store... so I'm stuck and I need help.

Please can anyone help me here?

Thanks!

Pitiated

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you having any issues with Windows 8.1?

It is not necessary to format and reinstall if everything works ok.

No issues at all. I just want the option to do what I want and MS is not letting me do what I want so I'm asking if anyone knows how can I have a clean install

Thanks

MyTempName

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
You need to get your hands on an 8.1 ISO image, in the Source directory on there will be a file called install.wim, around 3gb in size, drop it in a new folder on your C: drive, such as C:\WindowsImage

then open an adminstrator command prompt (Windows + X, then select Command Prompt (Admin)) and type:

reagentc.exe /setosimage /path C:\WindowsImage /target c:\Windows /Index 1

you should then find your 'reinstall Windows' option will take you back to a base 8.1 install.

<rant mode>

You know, Microsoft could have provided this file as part of the 3.5gb download, they could have let us download an ISO so we only have one download no matter how many machines we have to upgrade, they could have carried over the windows 8 version and stored the 8.1 upgrade somewhere so it could be reapplied without another 3.5gb download, but no, they didn't, 'cause screw paying customers.

If you just pirate an 8.1 ISO you get a pretty good upgrade experience, if you're a paying customer and download 8.1 through the store you get to jump through hoops like some kind of circus animal. Thanks again Microsoft.

</rant mode>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos