Media Center Pack killed my Windows 8.1 Activation!

joshingyou

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if this has happened to any of you...

I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 with no problem. Then I realized that the Media Center Pack is missing (when I looked under Systems). So I clicked on "Add Features to Windows" and put in the activation code that I got back when they gave out free Media Center Pack. Then after reboot, my computer suddenly says "Windows is not activated" and apparently the old Media Center product key overwrote the original Windows 8 product key. And I have tried my old Windows 8 product key and it doesn't work anymore.

I already called Windows product support today but he wasn't very helpful. I am gonna call tomorrow to the activation center and ask for help there...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That's really weird. I had Media Center installed on Windows 8 Pro, and Media Center still works after the upgrade to 8.1.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I had the same thing happen on one of our computers, except it happened when I had to reinstall windows 8 after a bit of a hardware meltdown. I was on the phone with MS tech support for over an hour when they finally told me that no one had heard of this issue and they would have to investigate it and get back to me by email in the next 24 to 48 hours. Everything had been working just fine since january, now poof!

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I had that same problem as well and now I have level 2 tech support calling me tomorrow. Whatever level I had work on my computer took over my computer tried installing a new activation code but it wouldn't accept it. So hopefully tomorrow goes good because I'm not rebuying Windows 8 for over 100 bucks just because I installed a free update.

god_forbids

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, there are many kinds of Win8 keys. Leaving Pro out of it, the FOUR types at play here are:

Win 8
Win 8 Media Center
Win 8.1
Win 8.1 Media Center

As you discovered, the installation of Media Center overwrites the base Win 8[.1] key.
So in trying to fix the botched upgrade you did this:

Win 8 Media Center >>> Win 8.1 >>> Win 8 Media Center

And ended up having a Win 8.1 install with a Win 8 Media Center key. Congratulations on finding a bug :D Activation should be able to get it sorted by giving you a Win 8.1 Media Center key, but there's still the issue of your "missing" Media Center. Are you certain it was installed before the upgrade?

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That didn't work withe. They gave me a new activation key while remote controlling my PC and it wouldn't accept the new key. Hopefully when they call me at 3 level 2 tech support can fix it

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My 8 -> 8.1 was close to perfect. Two issues. MyChannelLogos isn't working. I haven't investigated yet, however I don't think it'll be a big deal. I had to re-run TV setup in media center to get the HDHomerun Prime working in Media Center.

dlarryj

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
joshingyou -- I have a similar but different problem. I updated from Win 8 to 8.1 just fine (I thought). All apps and programs including Media Center are still working.
I got a message that I needed to activate Windows. The indication was that the product key, which was the Media Center Pack key, was invalid. So I tried the original Win 8 product key. I got this message when I used that original key:
"That key can’t be used to activate this edition of Windows. Please try a different key."
So I decided to activate using the phone call method -- I typed slui 4 in the Run box (WindowsKey + R). I phoned the USA phone number, provided all 63 of the necessary numbers and then the voice on the other end of the line told me:
"I’m sorry; we cannot complete this transaction as our records do not recognize this as a valid product."
Then on one of the wpcentral.com forums I ran across this: "Open up IE and type this into the address bar: ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade" ...which I did and was brought to a page to download Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. I don’t know if my original download page mentioned Media Center or not. I clicked "Download", was taken to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media... download thumbnail which was incomplete -- it had only a little "x" in it -- I clicked Download -- got "This app wasn’t installed – view details." The details info said, "The Windows 8.1 Preview isn’t available right now. Please try again later." -- Huh? -- Anyone else run into this particular scenario?

John Fern

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Same here.. My upgrade from 8 to 8.1 was activated and working fine. I installed Media Center Pack with the free PID I received and now my windows is not activating. Has the issue fixed for you guys?

Moe Moe3

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Same here. Is there any solution already? Damn it took me couple of hours to install all my apps and now this **** happens. At least a downgrade to 8.0 ?

saifvm

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. Its incredibly irritating and whats most surprising is that this has been the only thread or information about this issue that I've been able to find. You'd think this issue would be a little bit more known.
I also called microsoft support and unfortunately the technician didn't seem to know. He stated that the media center key was only valid up until the promotion (jan'13?). I'm going to wait a couple more days after which I'm going to have to reinstall 8 and then 8.1 without media center.

Moe Moe3

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I've found the solution guys !!!
You have to use your Media Center Key instead of your Windows 8.1 Key, just did that and baaaaam activated succesfully. :wink:

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
same issue for me. i used a free media center key, but didn't realize that it had expired in Jan. But windows let me input this key and it showed successful, until after i rebooted. Now i cannot find anywhere to get a valid key.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad I read this post, I recently upgraded to 8.1, and was missing Media Center.
I was planning adding my free MC upgrade.
How's it going so far?

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I've found the solution guys !!!
You have to use your Media Center Key instead of your Windows 8.1 Key, just did that and baaaaam activated succesfully. :wink:

I tried this last wk, but this did not work for me. Did you input a key that you bought or a free one? And does anyone know where to purchase a key?

Moe Moe3

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried this last wk, but this did not work for me. Did you input a key that you bought or a free one? And does anyone know where to purchase a key?

Yes a Free Key from the MS Promotion Last Year. Here are the steps what I did:

1. Install windows 8.1 with your 8.1 Key (used my dreamspark premium key)
2. Add the MC feature with your free key and reboot
3. Now windows will alert that your OS isn't activated although it was before the reboot.
4. Go to settings and put a new product key in. Here I used my free MC Key and I could activate it online successfully.

Hope I could help you guys

dlarryj

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Success!
10-24-2013
I called Microsoft (1-800-642-7676) today for help with my Win 8.1 that wouldn't activate. I selected the "Installation" "Windows 8.1" (as I recall) options and was connected to a technician. I explained my problem. After he did a couple of minutes of research he asked to remotely control my computer, which I allowed him to do. He made some comment about me still being in the warranty period so this $99 service would be free today. He tried two or three different activation codes before he hit on one that worked, but was ultimately able to activate my Win 8.1. He said the keys I had wouldn't work because they were Win 8 keys. He gave me a copy of the key he used in case I need it later.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb