Search button

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
A thing that I just found out, and its huge to me cause its so useful: if you select some text over a document or browser or whatever and then press search key it will just take you to Bing search with the selected text!

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
hmm, this doesnt work for me, i presume some setting i have un-checked! i am in IE, select a word, so its highlighted, press the hardware search button (on my 920) it goes to the bing search page but doesnt do anything, just as normal, no hint of the word i had selected

edit: ok, it does work from an office file, but not from browser

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i am on gd3 dev also - lol - shame, as it would be far handier for me working from selecting text on a website, i dont use office at all on my 920

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually... it does work for web sites! How, you ask? You have to actually copy the highlighted text, then press the 'Search' button. Et viola, mon brav. As Del would say. I expect this will work in any app that lets you copy text. Have fun, chums.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
not for me it doesnt, i already tried that originally :unhappy:

Actually... it does work for web sites! How, you ask? You have to actually copy the highlighted text, then press the 'Search' button. Et viola, mon brav. As Del would say. I expect this will work in any app that lets you copy text. Have fun, chums.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Really? GDR3 for me also. Just hold on word in IE10, hit the copy icon, then hit the search button (which is set to use Bing). Weird if it works for me and not you...

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Works on WP7.8 as well, I highlighted some text in the browser and hit search. Works like a charm!

Why don't these things come with instructions? Not that I'd read them, mind you, just saying...

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i found out why, one setting i obviously had different to you guys was in advanced settings in internet explorer i had google set as default search provider not bing, when i set it back to bing, all this copy and search stuff worked :)

edit: hehe, now i dont even have to copy the word, just selecting it in ie10 appears good enough - will give this bing a chance at my default search for a while then, as that is rather nifty!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion