Is it easier for devs to push out app updates on Android?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Reason I ask is, I have an android phone for work, WP for personal. I get app updates all the time, constantly for my android phone, not so much on WP. Even big name apps like Netflix, amazon, usaa, etc always release updates. Yet hardly ever do we get updates on the WP side.

Is this more just laziness it lack of effort on the devs part or is the process of sending out updates through MS a pain?

I really wish apps like Amazon would get updated to meet or exceed what androids app has in features. We still can't filter searches on the WP app.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Reason I ask is, I have an android phone for work, WP for personal. I get app updates all the time, constantly for my android phone, not so much on WP. Even big name apps like Netflix, amazon, usaa, etc always release updates. Yet hardly ever do we get updates on the WP side.

Is this more just laziness it lack of effort on the devs part or is the process of sending out updates through MS a pain?

I really wish apps like Amazon would get updated to meet or exceed what androids app has in features. We still can't filter searches on the WP app.

I have never worked on an Xbox branded game, but according to many reports that can also be read here at WPC, getting certified to carry the Xbox branding is a major pain.

As for everything else, no. It takes a little bit of work, both for Android and WP, but there is nothing difficult about it. For companies like Amazon, the only reason not to treat WP equally is because they have different priorities.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
One major reason for Android app frequent update is simply due to the fact that no two Android phones work the same way. App devs are forced to constantly update their apps to work with different Android phones. Getting an App work across the board is a major pain.

For regular app update on WP (not Xbox games), it takes about 5 days to finish the certification process from the minute you submit the app update. There is no limit or pain as to how often you can submit app updates. It's a quite easy process.

My understanding the certification process only takes 1 or 2 days on Google as Google basically doesn't check anything or doesn't care. That's why so many malware get publish on Play market every year.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Also don't forget, in most countries, Android now has the largest share of the marketplace, and WP has a small userbase.

Its inevitable companies will prioritise Android over WP.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Frequency and ease are two different issues. My updates come consistently in the evenings. All at the same time. It used to be here in the mornings, just before I get to work but now it happens in the evening. Everyday. I don't think it has anything to do with prioritization especially since updates are OTA and not carrier dependent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb