[Question] Does Windows 8.1's IE11 still hate drop down menu?

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, i have Windows 8.1 on my desktop but i don't have any touch device to test this.

My question is simple: IE11 on Windows 8.1 is touch friendly for drop down menu? I post an explicit example: Walmart.com: Save money. Live better.
with a desktop pc just hover the left menu with the mouse and you can see the sub-categories. With ANY touch windows 8 or windows phone you just can't do anything, the "mouse hover" event is not triggered by the touch.

Yeah, its an old story, i know, but even if someone says "it's correct because it's standard" i say "it's incorrect because it doesn't work".

Internet is full of example like the site i just linked, i can fill a long list :p So.. someone with a touch windows 8.1 can tell me if it works now?

Thank you! :grin:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, its an old story, i know, but even if someone says "it's correct because it's standard" i say "it's incorrect because it doesn't work".

You are right. The Walmart website is incorrect, so you should be posting in their forums instead of here.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
walmart.com works on my surface RT, you have to do a slighter longer press than a tap but not a long press

thank you for the answer! You are running a windows 8.1 right? Can you try those sites too?
ASUS (over on product)
http://www.uranium-backup.com/ (over on products)

You are right. The Walmart website is incorrect, so you should be posting in their forums instead of here.
i'm even not in america, i probably never see a walmart in my life XD

Depends on the site, but it seems much better overall now
so there are sites that still doesn't work with touch? :(

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Try the same thing on United.com. None of the drop-down menus work on metro IE10 or IE11 on my Surface Pro.

Same goes for Sony.com (which is actually the Sony online store in the US).

These, and many other sites, I have to launch into desktop IE to use, and then switch to trackpad or mouse, which is annoying and an unacceptable situation.

I don't care if these sites are somehow "not following standards". These issues are common, and metro IE should support them.

I feel the same way about Safari on iOS - I don't care if Steve Jobs decided that Adobe Flash is "not standard" - many web sites use it....

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Try the same thing on United.com. None of the drop-down menus work on metro IE10 or IE11 on my Surface Pro.

Same goes for Sony.com (which is actually the Sony online store in the US).

These, and many other sites, I have to launch into desktop IE to use, and then switch to trackpad or mouse, which is annoying and an unacceptable situation.

I don't care if these sites are somehow "not following standards". These issues are common, and metro IE should support them.

I feel the same way about Safari on iOS - I don't care if Steve Jobs decided that Adobe Flash is "not standard" - many web sites use it....

United.com works, just long press on the links and the menu appears. Sony.com also works, just long press.

(tested right now on my surface RT running full 8.1 RT in IE11 metro mode)

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
If u tap and hold works....

United.com works, just long press on the links and the menu appears. Sony.com also works, just long press.

(tested right now on my surface RT running full 8.1 RT in IE11 metro mode)

Thank you!! thats a great news!!! i think now we can say it probably will be implemented in windows phone 8.1 too :D I'm crossing my finger :D
on uranium-backup.com site the "drop down menu" is 100% css and if that work i'm pretty confident to say that almost all the others must work too :)

thank you again! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa