More tiles, worse in design

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, the fact that you lose the ability to have a tile that covers the whole width of the screen is a huge negative. As long as this isn't possible, it's crappy design by MS. WP8 needs a new bigger tile that covers the whole width of the screen on the 3 column view. Who is with me?

Last edited:

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't really think of a purpose for this tripple wide tile at the moment, except maybe weather, photos and start screen grouping.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Now your biggest tile will be smaller than the biggest that that you have on a 2 column layout. The Agenda for example looks freakin small now, it's just worse. A bigger tile needs to be possible. Everything becomes small now, and nothing pops at all. Nothing strikes! Bad design if it stays this way.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can agree with that. It's a bit awkward to not be able to cover the width of the screen anymore. That said, a 2x3 icon would be enormous and unnecessary.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I'll reserve judgement until I see it first hand. At 6" it's nearly a small tablet and while using a ton of the small icons would look hideous IMO, going with more medium and large tiles would look pretty good on that large of a device IMO.

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, the fact that you lose the ability to have a tile that covers the whole width of the screen is a huge negative. As long as this isn't possible, it's crappy design by MS. WP8 needs a new bigger tile that covers the whole width of the screen on the 3 culumn view. Who is with me?

I disagree completely... I've always loved the idea of the double wide tile but never used it because it took up too much screen real estate. I'm excited for this new three tile wide screen so I can actually use double wide tiles without it hindering the look and usability of the start screen

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I cannot understand how one can disagree. The concept of the tiles is that they show information. If you just want dozens of small tiles that almost show no info, like last email, next appointments, then WP loses it's advantage in design aesthetics. The biggest tile in the 3 column layout is smaller than the biggest tile in our current 2 column layout. Also, something that's important for you, doesn't pop out anymore like a beautiful looking tile that covers the whole width of the screen. It is now lost in a chaotic tile mess. A beautiful weather live tile will not strike like it used too. Do not understand me wrong, I love the extra column, but not with this sacrifice. The design vision of WP requires a tile that can cover the whole width.

I can agree with that. It's a bit awkward to not be able to cover the width of the screen anymore. That said, a 2x3 icon would be enormous and unnecessary.

And I do not see why 2x3 would be too big. Even with such a big tile, you still have 3x3 left on a single screen view without scrolling. Enough for 36 of the smallest tiles! Such a nice big tile also solves the problem for complainers who whine that they don't have a wallpaper, and that the homescreen looks boring. Trust me A LOT of people use just 4 -8 apps. Especially women. Imagine how hard it is for them to fill in the home screen nicely. My sister for example uses only the dial app, contacts app, messaging, facebook, whatsapp, camera and maybe instagram. Her homescreen looks extremely boring because of this. If she had this new 3 column layout she would even have trouble filling up the home screen without putting tiles in there she doesn't care about. A big-a-s-s tile with some beautiful photo or weather information - of her boyfriend or her pet, or whatever most people put as wallpapers on other phones - would solve everything. such a big tile would even be large enough to dial numbers directly from the home screen. But that would need interactive tiles, which should be a next step for WP imo.

Last edited:

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
This is the right time to implement an optional background image and some blank space between the tiles.

It doesn't make sense on 4 inches, but on 6, hell yeah.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with you. I think the start screen looks worse with all the extra tiles and I am a huge fan of the double wide tile. In fact, I don't think I will be getting the 1520 because of this. I want the option to have my live tiles stretch across the whole screen. I want the option to display even more info in my tile and take advantage of the larger screen because displaying info was the original intention of the live tiles. As far as an example, Just look at the WPCentral live tile. Perfect example of a tile that would benefit from the extra screen space. So yeah, I'm with you. It really bothers me, it has bothered me since we 1st started seeing renders of the new phones. I'm completely disappointed and it will probably keep me from buying any new Lumia's the holiday season. And no it wouldn't be too big, at least not for me and apparently not for you either.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I wondered how long before I would see wp users calling home about the problems of tiles on larger screens. the information aspect is lost in tiny tiles, the animations not result helpful either.

wonder if ms has any ideas for improving or widgetizing rules to make them worth while again on these forwent screens?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I wondered how long before I would see wp users calling home about the problems of tiles on larger screens. the information aspect is lost in tiny tiles, the animations not result helpful either.

wonder if ms has any ideas for improving or widgetizing rules to make them worth while again on these forwent screens?

Offtopic, but you got "awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !" from South Park? I just can't help but hear Cartman saying this. :p

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I barely use enough live tiles to fill my home screen as is. Given the change, I would have to put 5 filler apps that I don't use in just to keep my home screen full

ojo otter

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I barely use enough live tiles to fill my home screen as is. Given the change, I would have to put 5 filler apps that I don't use in just to keep my home screen full
that's your preference, I have sooo many tiles that I use daily and my home screen is miles long! I would love it to be more tiles

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>>>> svenhassel
"This is the right time to implement an optional background image and some blank space between the tiles.
It doesn't make sense on 4 inches, but on 6, hell yeah."

It's all about scale. And good design has no size constraints, only efforts put forth.

>>>> onysi
"If u know how to arrange empty spaces and blocks, it can look beautiful."

Ahhhh, the crux of the matter....space.
Since this thread is focusing on WP8 users design choices, I thought perhaps some sources on design might be useful for ref in making these choices. And since white/negative space and use thereof has been mentioned, some refs specific as to the value of white space in aesthetic design might also be useful.

A few targeted items I found of interest...
The Value of Whitespace | Canister Creative
-----------------------------
The Value of White space
Just because it is empty does not mean it is unnecessary...More white space is usually desirable?but not just any white space will do, it does need to be well-designed white space. It needs to be used in conjunction with all the other design elements at the designer?s disposal (which are: line, value, texture, motion, shape, colour, typography, image, grid, movement, balance, emphasis, and unity.)

Clutter can be beautiful
There is another more positive meaning that can be associated with cluttered, crowded, full-packed designs: energy....The trick is always to use these tactics strategically to support the goals of the design and client, and not to use them unintentionally or haphazardly (which usually works against those goals).
---------------------------------

Why whitespace matters | Boagworld - Web & Digital Advice
------------------------------------
Why white space matters
- Improved legibility
- Higher comprehension
- Increased attention ? white space can also be a powerful way of drawing the users attention to a particular screen element.
- Creates the right tone

Enemies of white space
Trying to say too much - another common reason for white space being removed from a design is because there is a desire to communicate too much information at one time.
-------------------------------------

Negative Space in Webpage Layouts: A Guide
---------------------------------------
The Theory of Negativity
Negative space does not have to be white, or even solid in color. It can contain gradients, patterns or background objects.
Negative Space is Not Minimalism?contrary to popular misconceptions, proper use of negative space has nothing to do with minimalism.

Simplifying a Design to Basic Shapes to See Negative Space
Good layouts are not defined by the amount of negative space, but by the distribution of it.

Complex design
Complex design has a carefully structured volume of negative space between objects. Unique objects have been given similar spacing, while groups of objects have been placed closer together. This is the concept of proximity. Simply put, if two items on the page belong together conceptually, place them closer to each other than to other objects.

Effective use
Effective use of negative space is not a matter of quantity (e.g. "more is better than less"), it?s a matter of proper utilization.... improving your layouts means analyzing the current amount and appropriateness of the empty space in your design.
--------------------------------

Where Does This Design Succeed And Fail? - Vanseo Design
----------------------------------
Where Does...Design Succeed And Fail?

Use of space as an active tool
A good balance between positive and negative space...leads your eye through the design instead of sitting there passive as a result of it not being considered.

Visual hierarchy
The most important elements stand out. Less important elements fade into the background. Size, color, value, space, and contrast have been used to give different elements different visual weights. The priority of each element is being communicated visually.
------------------------------------

So there?s something to possibly think about when creating your Start page design. I would add utility since besides being a palette for design, the phone is also a tool that we'd like to put to its most effective use. Microsoft has touted the individuality and uniqueness of the WP8 in its ad campaigns. But Microsoft has also given us a great gift, albeit possibly unintentionally, that being the ability to design our own space...and to design it in a way that fits and maximizes our usage and tastes. I would add that design can also be a thing of beauty?with a little thought.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Put me down for disagreeing as well.

The largest tile we have now is plenty large and often times shows the most info. Even at 1/3 reduction (if the extra column were to get pushed out to my 4.5" screen), it is still large enough. I'd actually use more of them if the extra column was enabled. The asymmetry doesn't bother me at all. A lot of my screen is asymmetrical anyway at this point.

On a 6" screen the full width is simply too large for anything other than ease of access for the visually impaired or a needlessly splashy slideshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon