So no GDR3 till early 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZJ

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
That's really lame to be honest. Here I was ready to jump to WP8 thanks to the changes in GDR3. But seems Lumia Black isn't coming until early 2014, which probably means GDR3 is coming around the same timeframe.

A real let down...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well if he buys one of those new phones coming out this year he will get GDR3. It isn't coming to old phones until then.

he_shark

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a preview not the real release. :p

It's the developer preview, it's the same as the full release of GDR3. As for Nokia Black, for that it seems we will need to wait a bit longer but most features are already here with GDR3 and the updates coming from Nokia today.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That's really lame to be honest. Here I was ready to jump to WP8 thanks to the changes in GDR3. But seems Lumia Black isn't coming until early 2014, which probably means GDR3 is coming around the same timeframe.

A real let down...

Taking a look at the calendar early 2014 isn't too far away. If you are that impatient don't what to tell ya. Enjoy your new Android I guess.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's the developer preview, it's the same as the full release of GDR3. As for Nokia Black, for that it seems we will need to wait a bit longer but most features are already here with GDR3 and the updates coming from Nokia today.

Um, no it's not the same as the full release. That's like saying that W8.1 preview was the same as RTM. It's for developers to preview to ascertain issues with their apps and with GDR3 itself. What you have on your phone is not the RTM version.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The developer preview for gdr3 is the final release of the product from Microsoft. What makes it "not final" is the lack of any firmware update that the manufacturer may roll into the update package.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Taking a look at the calendar early 2014 isn't too far away. If you are that impatient don't what to tell ya. Enjoy your new Android I guess.

Yeah but W8.1 was supposed to come out Q1 2014. Let's be clear here, GDR3 is not WP8.1. So where does that fit in the grand scheme of things now? I'd be happy if WP8.1 came out in Q1 but considering that they have missed every date they gave an indication of so far I'm not holding my breath. Then we have the stupid carriers. So what, WP8.1 by September 2014?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The developer preview for gdr3 is the final release of the product from Microsoft. What makes it "not final" is the lack of any firmware update that the manufacturer may roll into the update package.

That was not my understanding. If that's their final release they did a great job of releasing a really buggy update.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
A developer "preview" is just that a preview. It is not the final version as Microsoft can and probably will, make changes. As stated before the current "preview" is quite buggy. You could even consider this preview to be kind of like a beta test :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Its not, its exactly what the name implies, a preview for developers to test their apps on.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Listen to last week's Windows Weekly. Leo, Mary Jo, and Paul talked with Greg Sullivan, Director of Windows Phone at Microsoft. During the show, Greg clearly states that the bits we downloaded as developers are the same bits that they released to OEMs.

We HAVE GDR 3.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Listen to last week's Windows Weekly. Leo, Mary Jo, and Paul talked with Greg Sullivan, Director of Windows Phone at Microsoft. During the show, Greg clearly states that the bits we downloaded as developers are the same bits that they released to OEMs.

We HAVE GDR 3.

You have GDR3 PREVIEW! Its not the final release. They may have released the same bits to OEMs but that doesn't mean they want change things from the preview to final release. They released it to OEMs so they can test the update. I repeat this is not the final release! Im not saying you don't have GDR3 cus that's not the case im saying it is the preview and Microsoft could make changes from now until final release.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It's clear that who doesn't understand that the gdr3 preview it's a preview build and the rtm build has still to be built, is not a developer.
Let them think this is the final one... we don't want to ruin their favorite toy, do we? :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Did any of you listen to the podcast I linked to, where you could hear it from the lips of the Windows Phone Director? No. What we have are the final bits. It is a preview because it hasn't been officially released to the public. If you don't believe that, then you're saying that Microsoft's Director of Windows Phone is a liar. Me, I'll take his word over any of yours. I tried to be tactful about it, but you're trying to convince people that you, a bunch of people on a message board, know more than the guy leading the project. No. You don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo