So no GDR3 till early 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Gee this argument is getting nowhere quick.

I went and read the Windows Phone Blog and the Developers Blog. The 'release' is called the Developers Preview but is apparently the full GRD3 but from MS only, no firmware. There are no new APIs.

Technically it was meant to be released to developers only to test their apps and ensure that everything is working. The normal users are supposed to wait for the official release. Hence the 'preview' name.

However, going by the amount of glitches and other errors popping up it's probably a good thing it is a preview version. That of course doesn't stop people complaining about it.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Did any of you listen to the podcast I linked to, where you could hear it from the lips of the Windows Phone Director? No. What we have are the final bits. It is a preview because it hasn't been officially released to the public. If you don't believe that, then you're saying that Microsoft's Director of Windows Phone is a liar. Me, I'll take his word over any of yours. I tried to be tactful about it, but you're trying to convince people that you, a bunch of people on a message board, know more than the guy leading the project. No. You don't.

And you seem to think that this is some other company than Microsoft. While im not disputing the fact it is GDR3 you have the fact of the matter is it is not the final build. In that while the preview is out with OEMs and developers they could report bugs in the software which will need to be sorted hence this is not the final build of GDR3 that only happens when Microsoft releases the rtm build. That is a FACT!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And you seem to think that this is some other company than Microsoft. While im not disputing the fact it is GDR3 you have the fact of the matter is it is not the final build. In that while the preview is out with OEMs and developers they could report bugs in the software which will need to be sorted hence this is not the final build of GDR3 that only happens when Microsoft releases the rtm build. That is an FACT ASSUMPTION!

We shall see. FTFY.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It's the developer preview, it's the same as the full release of GDR3. As for Nokia Black, for that it seems we will need to wait a bit longer but most features are already here with GDR3 and the updates coming from Nokia today.

Well it's like a beta, as gdr3 has a lot of bugs now.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think we're arguing semantics here.

Here's the way I see things:

Is it GDR3 (meaning all the bits of GDR3) - Yes
Is it meant for release for everyone - No
Is it a preview for developers - Yes
Is it possible they'll find errors and fix them before general release - Yes
Will MS add anything else - No
Will OEMs add anything else - Yes

I think that covers everything.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You can't argue with someone who takes for good something said from the Senior Marketing Manager XD
Again, this is stuff for developers. It's impossible to argue about software engineering with someone who doesn't understand what a preview build is.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think that covers everything.
No, it doesn't. Let me complete that:
Will be the RTM (or GA) the same build of the preview? No, and you will see that when the rtm will be available. Now we have the 8.0.10512.*, the rtm will be greater.

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Gee this argument is getting nowhere quick.

I went and read the Windows Phone Blog and the Developers Blog. The 'release' is called the Developers Preview but is apparently the full GRD3 but from MS only, no firmware. There are no new APIs.

Technically it was meant to be released to developers only to test their apps and ensure that everything is working. The normal users are supposed to wait for the official release. Hence the 'preview' name.

However, going by the amount of glitches and other errors popping up it's probably a good thing it is a preview version. That of course doesn't stop people complaining about it.

These types of discussions rarely do..

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I think we're arguing semantics here.
Here's the way I see things:
Actually, thinking over that, I see things differently:

Is it GDR3 (meaning all the bits of GDR3) - No, it's not the GDR3. It's a GDR3 preview. Something like a draft of a GDR3.
Is it meant for release for everyone - No
Is it a preview for developers - Yes
Is it possible they'll find errors and fix them before general release - It's almost guaranteed
Will MS add anything else - We can't know that
Will OEMs add anything else - Very likely
Will be the RTM (or GA) the same build of the preview? - No, and you will see that when the rtm will be available. Now we have the 8.0.10512.*, the rtm will be greater.
Is it possible that the RTM build will be the SAME IDENTICAL BUILD of this one, except for the build number? - Very very very unlikely.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Here, read this - Introducing Windows Phone Preview for Developers

and this - Announcing our third Windows Phone 8 update—plus a new developer preview program

There's nothing in either of those two posts to indicate that there will be anything added to the official GDR3 release. What will be fixed is any bugs. What will be additions will come from OEMs.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing in either of those two posts to indicate that there will be anything added to the official GDR3 release. What will be fixed is any bugs. What will be additions will come from OEMs.
And where exactly it says that nothing will be added to the official GDR3 release?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
And where exactly it says that nothing will be added to the official GDR3 release?

Where does it say there will be? It says very specifically this is Update 3 on both posts. What more do you want?

There are two people on this thread that have provided evidence to what they stated. Where's yours?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you even read what i posted?
Yes, I did. But you still aren't listening. Nor have you listened to the documentation I've provided, nor provided anything to back your own claim.

You can't argue with someone who takes for good something said from the Senior Marketing Manager XD
Again, this is stuff for developers. It's impossible to argue about software engineering with someone who doesn't understand what a preview build is.
Greg Sullivan
Director, Windows Phone at Microsoft
Greg Sullivan | LinkedIn
And that is how he introduces himself in the podcast.

Starting at 44:52 in the podcast:
It is effectively the final software "from Microsoft" in this case, although in future versions of this program it may be even more pre-release - true beta. But in this case it is effectively the code that we've finished and then have handed over to the handset manufacturers who then will combine their firmware updates, their packages, the applications that they put on, and then test that and hand it over to the mobile operators, who then put it on their networks and check it out, and for a given phone-operator pairing will determine that it's good to go and that's when they start delivering that, but for developers to get their hands on this early we wanted to have this program available and we're happy to be able to do that on just this week.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Where does it say there will be? It says very specifically this is Update 3 on both posts. What more do you want?
There are two people on this thread that have provided evidence to what they stated. Where's yours?
You provided nothing, only hopmedic provided a good evidence but, since it said by someone from marketing, and we're talking about technical stuff, it's not very reliable.
Your assumption is "they didn't say something will be added. They didn't say everything is already here, too. So everything is already here".
Don't you see where your logic fails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel