So no GDR3 till early 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You provided nothing, only hopmedic provided a good evidence but, since it said by someone from marketing, and we're talking about technical stuff, it's not very reliable.
Your assumption is "they didn't say something will be added. They didn't say everything is already here, too. So everything is already here".
Don't you see where your logic fails?

Not someone from Marketing - the FREAKING DIRECTOR OF WINDOWS PHONE!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You provided nothing, only hopmedic provided a good evidence but, since it said by someone from marketing, and we're talking about technical stuff, it's not very reliable.
Your assumption is "they didn't say something will be added. They didn't say everything is already here, too. So everything is already here".
Don't you see where your logic fails?

My logic doesn't fail. They originally stated that we'd get document attachment for emails. That has since been removed, even from the WPC posts. If this is not final than what is? Please tell me where you're getting any indication that this isn't final? Ignoring the bug fixes.

I gave you two official blog posts from MS. What more do you want? Both state what the features of Update 3 are. Where are you getting any idea that there will be more? Using an Australianism - Please explain.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As my dad used to say, "put up or shut up." Evidence that we have the final bits has been provided. Rhetoric has been provided to the contrary. Unless one of the contrarians has evidence, I'm done here.

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I did. But you still aren't listening. Nor have you listened to the documentation I've provided, nor provided anything to back your own claim.

Greg Sullivan
Director, Windows Phone at Microsoft
Greg Sullivan | LinkedIn
And that is how he introduces himself in the podcast.

Starting at 44:52 in the podcast:

Mate you clearly haven't understood what i said then. I have said several times that while the gdr3 preview contains final code it is not the final version. The final version only come when it is released to the general public. I fail to see how preview=final even if it does contain what is in the final gdr3 the point im making is, it is still not the final release.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My logic doesn't fail. They originally stated that we'd get document attachment for emails. That has since been removed, even from the WPC posts. If this is not final than what is? Please tell me where you're getting any indication that this isn't final? Ignoring the bug fixes.
Ehm... what about the name "preview" ?
I gave you two official blog posts from MS. What more do you want? Both state what the features of Update 3 are. Where are you getting any idea that there will be more? Using an Australianism - Please explain.
You gave me two official blogs from MS, true. Two blogs that don't say anywhere we are getting the same build will be relesed to the public.
So, let me get this straight... they call it GDR3 so it must be final for you... like Windows 8.1 Preview was the final one because it had "Windows 8.1" in its name?
Don't you see you have no proof at all to support your thesis?

Even if there are not any proof at all to support mine, the only conclusion would be "we don't know s**t"... you can't assume what you prefer just because you don't have any proof. This is called religion.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Mate you clearly haven't understood what i said then. I have said several times that while the gdr3 preview contains final code it is not the final version. The final version only come when it is released to the general public. I fail to see how preview=final even if it does contain what is in the final gdr3 the point im making is, it is still not the final release.

If you mean that the final release will come with software from carriers and OEMs, then you are correct. That's not what I'm reading you to say, though, and what I'm reading you to say is wrong. Microsoft is done, according to the Director of Windows Phone. If I'm wrong, provide evidence, not rhetoric.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you mean that the final release will come with software from carriers and OEMs, then you are correct. That's not what I'm reading you to say, though, and what I'm reading you to say is wrong. Microsoft is done, according to the Director of Windows Phone. If I'm wrong, provide evidence, not rhetoric.

He agrees with you. Trust me. It's just a misunderstanding. :p

Just a difference of stating the same thing.

Binoya Mathews

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Well,let me also chime in...if this is the final version, then its seriously bad considering that it is very buggy.For me,it gives a lot of problems with my Bluetooth connectivity and more app force closes than I have ever had with Amber.Gotta hope people who say that this is in fact the final version of GDR3 are wrong..else there will be sm problems when it gets to the public. FYI,my device-NL520..

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
He agrees with you. Trust me. It's just a misunderstanding. :p

Just a difference of stating the same thing.

Ok........

But to be clear, GDR3 is done. GDR3 is the OS updates. The stuff on top of that that comes from OEMs and carriers is not part of GDR3, but comes WITH it. Black will be Nokia's update, and I've never known carriers to name the things that they add. But those things are not part of GDR3.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Six days ago Daily News had him (as does his LinkedIn profile, linked above) as the DIRECTOR of Windows Phone.
Microsoft unveils new phone update to help reduce distracted driving - NY Daily News
Ok, he seems to be the director for real. He didn't update this linkedin profile, though.
Anyway, since nowhere it's written that we are getting the same final build, I wouldn't take his word for good... especially considering why a developer preview is released (to find bugs and report it asap to fix them before the launch) and the MS history of preview releases.
But I'd say it's more likely there will not be any new feature in the final build... but again, this is only an assumption.

Last edited:

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

What i am saying is that while Microsoft have said gdr3 is done. While the name "preview" is attached to gdr3 it is not the final release of gdr3. Also while currently all the information we have says the Microsoft bit of gdr3 is done, there is nothing stopping them from changing their minds. Im not saying this will happen either. The likelihood of this happening is up to peoples opinions.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's the developer preview, it's the same as the full release of GDR3. As for Nokia Black, for that it seems we will need to wait a bit longer but most features are already here with GDR3 and the updates coming from Nokia today.

God I hope it isn't the same as full release! Have you seen those bugs and glitches even on graphics of that preview?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ok, you absolutely cannot say this.

The developers blog clearly states that there is no updates to APIs can give me an idea of what other updates your expecting? It also states this is all a developer needs to develop on. So where are you getting more updates from?

Aside from the bug fixes this is it. Deal with it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well,let me also chime in...if this is the final version, then its seriously bad considering that it is very buggy.For me,it gives a lot of problems with my Bluetooth connectivity,the multitasking menu sometimes looks odd without the start screen in the switcher(isn't that supposed to be running in the background?) and more app force closes than I have ever had with Amber.Gotta hope people who say that this is in fact the final version of GDR3 are wrong..else there will be sm problems when it gets to the public. FYI,my device-NL520..

Ok - you have blended Amber - an OEM firmware update - into a discussion about GDR3 - a Microsoft OS update. It would appear that you do not realize that GDR2 and Amber are two separate updates that happened to come at the same time. Just like GDR3 and Black are two separate updates that will come at the same time. And truthfully, there is no way for us on the street to tell if your BT problems are OS or firmware problems, so you can't say whether it is MS or Nokia who needs to fix it.

Microsoft, according to their Director of Windows Phone, is done with GDR3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa