So no GDR3 till early 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, maybe now we are starting misunderstooding the semantic for real.

GDR3 is done means no bug fixing. So, you cannot say this.
"same build" or "same bits" means that the binary we have will be the public binary... and same binary means no bug fixing. So, you cannot say this either.
No new features means that we have all the GDR3 features, but they can be fixed. I can agree with this, but I would not bet on this.

I understood that for you the changelog is done (no new features), and you think to have all the proof in the world for this. I can deal with it.
But you need to understand that a preview is made to be helped discovering bugs, and it's released to ensure that the public release will have those bug fixed.
So this cannot be the final build, this cannot be "the same public bits". Is this clear?

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Binoya Mathews

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok - you have blended Amber - an OEM firmware update - into a discussion about GDR3 - a Microsoft OS update. It would appear that you do not realize that GDR2 and Amber are two separate updates that happened to come at the same time. Just like GDR3 and Black are two separate updates that will come at the same time. And truthfully, there is no way for us on the street to tell if your BT problems are OS or firmware problems, so you can't say whether it is MS or Nokia who needs to fix it.

Microsoft, according to their Director of Windows Phone, is done with GDR3.

I meant GDR2.sorry about that, my bad.. thanks for d reply

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, maybe now we are starting misunderstooding the semantic for real.

GDR3 is done means no bug fixing. So, you cannot say this.
"same build" or "same bits" means that the binary we have will be the public binary... and same binary means no bug fixing. So, you cannot say this either.
No new features means that we have all the GDR3 features, but they can be fixed. I can agree with this, but I would not bet on this.

I understood that for you the changelog is done (no new features), and you think to have all the proof in the world for this. I can deal with it.
But you need to understood that a preview is made to be helped discovering bugs, and it's released to ensure that the public release will have those bug fixed.
So this cannot be the final build, this cannot be "the same public bits". Is this clear?

If the purpose of the release were for us to find bugs, Microsoft would have set us all up with Microsoft Connect, like they did when we got the Mango bits ahead of everyone else, which they didn't do this time. Connect is their mode of gathering bug reports for pre-release software.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's what has been said several time over by me and hopmedic. We're not saying its final build or final release for RTM but it is the complete GDR3 as in all the updates that we will receive aside from OEMs. So my list that I had was correct which you disputed.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
If the purpose of the release were for us to find bugs, Microsoft would have set us all up with Microsoft Connect, like they did when we got the Mango bits ahead of everyone else, which they didn't do this time. Connect is their mode of gathering bug reports for pre-release software.
Connect is just a way of gathering bug reports, and usually they use it only for closed/limited beta.
Do you really think that the Windows 8.1 preview was the same build of the rtm one?

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
That's what has been said several time over by me and hopmedic. We're not saying its final build or final release for RTM but it is the complete GDR3 as in all the updates that we will receive aside from OEMs. So my list that I had was correct which you disputed.
No, hopmedic isn't saying that...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Connect is just a way of gathering bug reports, and usually they use it only for closed/limited beta.
Then have they changed, and now they're using some forum thread in WPCentral Forums to gather bugs? SMH

Do you really think that the Windows 8.1 preview was the same build of the rtm one?
Which has what to do with what? I've been running RTM since the day it was released, too.

They're not going to ship to the OEMs and then change the OS on them. You can't compare a desktop OS that receives monthly updates to a phone handset OS that gets them roughly quarterly.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, hopmedic isn't saying that...

What hopmedic is saying is that the Director of Windows Phone said that they were done. THAT is what hopmedic is saying. Either listen to the podcast or read the quote that I transcribed (removing the uhs and ums).

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
While there seems to be people arguing whether it is the *final* thing or not, moving to official release like GDR3 + (plus) Lumia Black, some people said that Lumia Black is available in some countries for the Lumia 1020? Is this true? o.o

Last edited:

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Then have they changed, and now they're using some forum thread in WPCentral Forums to gather bugs? SMH
No, this is how they are gathering bugs report with this: MSDN forums
(I agree it's not very efficient though)

Which has what to do with what? I've been running RTM since the day it was released, too.
They're not going to ship to the OEMs and then change the OS on them. You can't compare a desktop OS that receives monthly updates to a phone handset OS that gets them roughly quarterly.
Just because the GDR3 and the OEMs updates are separate, you can ship the preview to the OEMs guaranteeing that the system interface will not change, and manufacturers can develop their updates knowing it will work with the rtm too. Do you really think they do everyting sequentially?

What hopmedic is saying is that the Director of Windows Phone said that they were done. THAT is what hopmedic is saying. Either listen to the podcast or read the quote that I transcribed (removing the uhs and ums).
The problem is that you're taking his word like he's god. Or like they cannot change plans, or delay the update release, or whatever they will decide to do.
I got what he said. I think that things are going to be differently.
And I think we will never reach a common point here, and we have to wait the build number to be the same (if you're right) or greater (if I'm right) of the preview's one.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a hard time figuring out what is so hard for people to understand about the word that he used - "finished".

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Taking a look at the calendar early 2014 isn't too far away. If you are that impatient don't what to tell ya. Enjoy your new Android I guess.

Minimum of 3 months, and add in that 8.1 was said to be earl-y2014, but has lately been called sping-2014, and you see a bit of a snowball effect. That, and you see how we were told ALL devices would get GDR2 by the end of September, yet AT&T didn't get it out until mid-October, and there is another issue. Of course, it could mean Black is ready for early-2014, meaning that's when the carrier foot-dragging begins.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
And where exactly it says that nothing will be added to the official GDR3 release?

You do understand how software development works, don't you?

A preview release is a feature complete version, this means that no new features will be added. GDR3 is a preview release intended for developers to test apps to make sure they work correctly, at this stage the only thing Microsoft will be doing is error detection and correction, fixing bugs to you non developers, ready for the RTM release alongside firmware and the Nokia Black updates.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I have to give credit to hopmedic and others for trying to get the point across. Some people need to admit to their mistakes instead of arguing.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Minimum of 3 months, and add in that 8.1 was said to be earl-y2014, but has lately been called sping-2014, and you see a bit of a snowball effect. That, and you see how we were told ALL devices would get GDR2 by the end of September, yet AT&T didn't get it out until mid-October, and there is another issue. Of course, it could mean Black is ready for early-2014, meaning that's when the carrier foot-dragging begins.

My guess (and yes, I'm guessing - but based on what I've heard from reputable sources, so it's an educated guess) is that Black is pretty close to being done, for carrier testing soon. I'd be surprised if the carrier testing doesn't start before December, maybe even before November yet. I'm still wondering if the Windows Phone Blog is mistaken about Black coming in 2014, based on what I've heard from other sources. But again, I'm hypothesizing here.

Unlike some, I'll tell you when I'm guessing, and if I've got solid info to back it up, I'll post it.

THIS IS NOT GOSPEL (for those who would twist it) :wink:

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have it on my Lumia 920. :)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

As do I. Wondering if you're experiencing the same crappy call quality I am? Every time I make a call the other person can barely hear me. I have to switch between speakerphone and back to regular and sometimes that helps. No issues when using Bluetooth through my car. Only call quality issues are when holding it to my ear and talking (normal use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo