So no GDR3 till early 2014?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
That's really lame to be honest. Here I was ready to jump to WP8 thanks to the changes in GDR3. But seems Lumia Black isn't coming until early 2014, which probably means GDR3 is coming around the same timeframe.

A real let down...

Where did you read that Nokia isn't releasing Lumia Black until early (that could be as late as Spring depending on what's meant by early ) 2014 ?

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
There's more information to be found on Nokia Conversations and I quote:

Many of the new features and imaging innovations found in the Nokia Lumia 1520 and Nokia Lumia 1320 will be coming to existing Nokia Lumia smartphones running on Windows Phone 8 aligned with the next software update called ?Lumia Black?. The update, including the latest Windows Phone update from Microsoft, is expected to begin rolling out in early 2014.

Then Microsoft says this on their blog:

On the software front, the Lumia 1520 and 1320 will come with a bunch of great new apps and features?many of which will be rolling out to existing phones in the form of a new update Nokia is calling Lumia Black. The update, which includes the latest version of the Windows Phone 8 operating system, is expected begin rolling out to Nokia Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8 in early 2014, the company said.

Surely they can't both be wrong? Unless of course Microsoft blatantly copied Nokia's error. But to me this seems like Lumia Black won't reach our devices until early 2014. Just because The Verge say it is coming in the next few weeks does not make it accurate.

This springs to mind:
I read it on a blogging site, so it must be true!
I saw it on TV, so it must be true!

And we dare call Apple users iSheep...

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I hate to throw the delay blame back to Nokia, but it appears as though Nokia's "Black" firmware update is the holdup as GDR3 was just officially released for the HTC 8XT on Spint. Don't get me wrong, I love the extras you get with a Nokia phone, but they need to be a little more on the ball with updates as every month that passes, it give the carriers another reason to say "Meh, this device is old news. Lets discontinue support.".

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
GDR3 phones are out officially, so it can't be beta. I think it was in the comments on the 8XT article or another thread here on the site, someone confirmed their 8XT just officially got the GDR3 update from Sprint. Hopefully any bugs on preview phones are due to mismatched firmware (Nokia Black), although the only bug I've seen is flickering 'X's when scrolling through the multitasking menu. The "preview" in the name means the developer program itself, which bypasses carrier checks and firmware. It's not talking about the build.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I hate to throw the delay blame back to Nokia, but it appears as though Nokia's "Black" firmware update is the holdup as GDR3 was just officially released for the HTC 8XT on Spint. Don't get me wrong, I love the extras you get with a Nokia phone, but they need to be a little more on the ball with updates as every month that passes, it give the carriers another reason to say "Meh, this device is old news. Lets discontinue support.".

Congratulations, you just won montsa007's "Made me laugh award"

You are entitled to a complimentary,
-Thank you on your post
-Like on your post
-Free plastic bag containing some leaves and dried flowers (Just pick any plastic bag from your home & pick the leaves & flowers from your neighborhood)

Meh, your post is funny, let me like it anyway ;).

As I always say, a way out is to flash on unbranded ROM :D

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Didn't Elop say in the podcast that GDR3 and Bittersweet shimmer were being rolled out as a single updated called 'Black'?

There appears to be some confusion to when Black will be released.

This topic started off with someone complaining about when GDR3 was being released, apparently the Nokia World event stated early 2014. Then it changed to a topic of whether the developers preview was the RTM version of GDR3, which it is and now it's moved on to when Black is coming out, which there appears to be conflicting information.

Hopefully there will be some clarity somewhere about that soon. In my case it's irrelavent. I own an EE phone so I probably be lucky to get it before xmas anyway. :p

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's clear that who doesn't understand that the gdr3 preview it's a preview build and the rtm build has still to be built, is not a developer.
Let them think this is the final one... we don't want to ruin their favorite toy, do we? :)

Yup... Let them think they have the final build... Oh, wait! They do!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
After reading some more I've come to the conclusion that we're dealing with semantics again when referring to Lumia Black. Think about it. It's really only a 'few' weeks until 2014. You could say a couple of months but that's just being pedantic. So really that's what it could mean. However I'd like it to be released sooner and would like the carriers to **** off too. :p

Barracuda7772

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The gdr3 preview is just that an early preview of the full is. I contacted Microsoft and they said this is the final release minus any bugs that are found during the preview.

Not to mention anyone with the preview are still getting every Ota update and then some.

So looking at this why are so many people crying like babies about not wanting to update. Just do research. Its a win win situation. I use the x in app switcher to close pretty much every app I use very useful

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That's really lame to be honest. Here I was ready to jump to WP8 thanks to the changes in GDR3. But seems Lumia Black isn't coming until early 2014, which probably means GDR3 is coming around the same timeframe.

A real let down...

Don't know where you got your information but you posted this on 10/22 and on 10/23 GDR3 was released on Sprint for the Sprint HTC 8XT.
Time flies.

tungha

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's true for Lumia Black, Nokia can roll it out whenever they want, the GDR3 will be coming out soon in the coming weeks. I myself don't even care about the Black update, although i'm using a 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster