A Button Idea

almdudler26

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I like having the three buttons below the screen, and I think many of you would agree, and I'm glad Microsoft didn't decide to ditch the need for a back button as was widely reported. However, I think that most of you would agree that the search button is, well, pretty pointless. I've pressed it deliberately perhaps once or twice in the year or so I've had a Windows Phone.

So my idea is this: how about, instead of the Bing button currently there, we have a notification button. You would press it and a notification centre would zip up from the bottom of the screen, and you could just hit the back button to return to what you were doing, or click on a notification to view it. I think this could quickly become very intuitive, more so than the swipe down from the top you have on iOS and Android.

What do you think?

EDIT: If you do like this idea, feel free to vote here: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...07-swap-search-button-for-notification-button

Last edited:

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a custom button on my galaxy nexus, that when pressed would open the notification tray. I made heavy use of it. One tap, a glance, and a tap again to close it.
Maybe keep the search where it is, but use a "long press", similar to the back button (opening the task list), or the windows button (opening the voice commands).

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It does sound like a decent idea for notification center, because there should only be one gesture whatever it is to get to it. But I would prefer the search button more than the notification center. I use the search button all the time, not sure why everyone hates it so much. And I dont' have too much use for the notification center because most of the push notifications I get show up on live tiles anyway.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know people "hated the search button"...i haven't heard much about that. I use it daily, multiple times a day actually. Even once a month I'll use it for quick access to the "Music Search" feature and similar frequency for the "Sight Search" feature (QR codes...whatever that is called).

I wouldn't be surprised if I use it to do a Bing search maybe 5-10 times a day.

I have heard people suggest to use a long press to get to the notification screen, personally I would use a long press of the Start to get to the notification and a long press of the Search to get to the voice assistant (because you are most likely asking it a question; "looking for an answer"). I know that would be a change for us earlier adopters but I like the idea of it.

almdudler26

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, it seems like a lot more of you use the search button than I was expecting! Sounds like it does a bit more in the States. So how about this as a compromise: tapping the right button opens the notification centre, while doing a long press opens the Bing page, as at the moment the search button is the only one where a long press does nothing. Or where would you prefer the notification centre to be?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It never even crossed my mind that it would have more/less features in one country vs. another; but that might be why :)

I gave my ideal setup, but I'd be OK with a shortpress: Notification; longpress: search....the only down side to that is the primary function of a button that is a magnifying glass is to go to a notification center? That doesn't make sense, logically.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
How about when you push the new notification button, there is a Bing search bar in the notification area. Therefore, you have your notifications in front of you, with the option to start a search if needed. One button, 2 functions. If you think about it, the current search button just brings up the Bing search bar with a large picture of the day.

Fuhrer D

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How about when you push the new notification button, there is a Bing search bar in the notification area. Therefore, you have your notifications in front of you, with the option to start a search if needed. One button, 2 functions. If you think about it, the current search button just brings up the Bing search bar with a large picture of the day.

Good idea, but make it universal search like W8.1, that way you could even search the notifications (bringing continuity to what shows up when you hit the button).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
1. Many of us do use the search button
2. Switching a notification button into the place of the search button will only result in millions of people whining about getting rid of the notification button because they are always accidentally hitting it.
2a. Why is it that people don't accidentally hit the start or back buttons???

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Search button is a frequent flyer in my world. I don't hit it by accident as much now, though the 920 in particular is a pain with it at first. The tiles are enough notification for me.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
2a. Why is it that people don't accidentally hit the start or back buttons???

I'd guess because I hold my phone in my left hand to keep my primary hand free. That means the search button is near my flailing fingers that are trying to get a grip on the slippery but ohh so shinny and pretty 920, while the back is nestled in safe near my palm

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Good idea, but make it universal search like W8.1, that way you could even search the notifications (bringing continuity to what shows up when you hit the button).

WP7 actually had a contextual search button, which is similar to Win8.1...if you were in your email and hit search, it would search your email box. They went away from that because they wanted people to ALWAYS have the same experience when they pushed a button. So the home ALWAYS takes you to one screen and the search ALWAYS takes you to the Bing search. I remember reading their explanation on it because the contextual search was handy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
WP7 actually had a contextual search button, which is similar to Win8.1...if you were in your email and hit search, it would search your email box. They went away from that because they wanted people to ALWAYS have the same experience when they pushed a button. So the home ALWAYS takes you to one screen and the search ALWAYS takes you to the Bing search. I remember reading their explanation on it because the contextual search was handy.

Yeah, I was disappointed with the change, too. The contextual search, if I remember right, wasn't quite the same as what is in Win8.1 now, though. IIRC it searched whatever was local, but didn't combine it with online like 8.1 does now. But yeah, would be nice if they bring us what 8.1 has.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was disappointed with the change, too. The contextual search, if I remember right, wasn't quite the same as what is in Win8.1 now, though. IIRC it searched whatever was local, but didn't combine it with online like 8.1 does now. But yeah, would be nice if they bring us what 8.1 has.

I think what you are pointing out is the difference between the universal search (Win 8.1) and the contextual search (WP7) and an internet search (WP8). I think Win 8.0 would fall into the Contextual Search category...don't you think?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think what you are pointing out is the difference between the universal search (Win 8.1) and the contextual search (WP7) and an internet search (WP8). I think Win 8.0 would fall into the Contextual Search category...don't you think?

Yes. Just goes to show you that Microsoft can't make up its mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss