How on earth do you pair WP8 to W8.1 via bluetooth?

KorJax

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
This is so frustrating becuase this worked fine in standard W8.

I want to be able to pair my Windows Phone to my W8.1 computer to stream music FROM my phone via bluetooth. Searching for answers on this subject gives me zero results anywhere. I used to be able to just pair via the devices charm and VIOLA - thats all I would need to do. Anything I played on my Windows Phone would instead play out of my laptop.

Now? Completely broken. Windows Phone was completely removed as a device from my system. Establishing a bluetooth connection simply doesn't work - it connects then 2 seconds later disconnects for no reason (yes I've tried re-adding my bluetooth device). The charms bar for devices is now completely useless in 8.1 since they've forced it to only work in apps that use it (hint: none) and it now only does outgoing streams not incoming streams.

So how on earth do I do this? Why is it so hard when it worked flawlessly before?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This is so frustrating becuase this worked fine in standard W8.

I want to be able to pair my Windows Phone to my W8.1 computer to stream music FROM my phone via bluetooth. Searching for answers on this subject gives me zero results anywhere. I used to be able to just pair via the devices charm and VIOLA - thats all I would need to do. Anything I played on my Windows Phone would instead play out of my laptop.

Now? Completely broken. Windows Phone was completely removed as a device from my system. Establishing a bluetooth connection simply doesn't work - it connects then 2 seconds later disconnects for no reason (yes I've tried re-adding my bluetooth device). The charms bar for devices is now completely useless in 8.1 since they've forced it to only work in apps that use it (hint: none) and it now only does outgoing streams not incoming streams.

So how on earth do I do this? Why is it so hard when it worked flawlessly before?
Short answer: You don't. I'm seeing the same issue. I posted about it here http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-windows-rt/246407-surface-wont-connect-lumia-822-via-bluetooth.html I didn't get any helpful responses. I tried re-pairing everything multiple times and still nothing. It worked with my laptop prior to the update. Now it's broken on both the Surface and my laptop...

Last edited:

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you guys updated your driver? I have to update my graphic card(nvidia) and bluetooth driver after updated to Windows 8.1.

Right click Windows button->device manager->right click on bluetooth driver-> update driver software

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
what u described is basically how it has been for me since urface RT launched, 2s connection and then its gone. havnt tried with 8.1 yet though

Oris

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I will try that now, thanks.

EDIT: Didn't work, says my drivers are up to date.

Hrmm..mine is working fine after updating the bluetooth driver. Is it has something to do with the wp os? Because i'm running gdr 3 Preview in my Lumia and the new hotspot feature is also work well.I can pair my device without any problem, the only problem is when i switch on bluetooth, it will connected for few seconds and then disconnected. But when i transfer some files it will connect itself. But this is also happened to me in Windows 8.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you guys updated your driver? I have to update my graphic card(nvidia) and bluetooth driver after updated to Windows 8.1.

Right click Windows button->device manager->right click on bluetooth driver-> update driver software
Yup. I've tried everything and I've now officially given up. None of my Windows devices will talk to each other via Bluetooth.

Fabian Harmstorf

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Lumia 925 + Windows 8.1 + BT dongle (4.0+) are unable to hold a connection for more than a few seconds. I have tried two different PC (both 8.1) as well as an older BT 2.1 dongle. No success. All drivers and OS are updated.

Help appreciated.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Lumia 925 + Windows 8.1 + BT dongle (4.0+) are unable to hold a connection for more than a few seconds. I have tried two different PC (both 8.1) as well as an older BT 2.1 dongle. No success. All drivers and OS are updated.

Help appreciated.
Well after trying everything I could think of. I just sort of gave up. Then a few weeks later I tried pairing them again and it worked! One thing I saw mentioned was that you *had* to have the receive window on on the computer (in my case I was trying to send files from my Lumia to my laptop). I was getting error messages that sharing wasn't enabled and a couple of other weird ones. It had always worked just fine in Win 7. But... Now it's working like it did on Windows 7 where it prompts me to accept the file(s). Not sure what happened besides a Windows update or two, maybe one of them fixed it. I also tried updating the Bluetooth drivers although that didn't seem to work initially either.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I tried again just now. Over a year, several firmware and software updates later on both machines, my Surface RT still refuses to work through BT with my 920.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
You are saying right , it disconnects after about 2 seconds but to save energy . When you want to share anything via bluetooth from your win 8.1 to wp 8 phone , just right click the file you want to share then click on share via bluetooth then select windows phone, then it will automatically connect and start sending from your win 8.1 pc to wp 8 phone. And if you want to share any media from your phone the , tap and hold on the media you want to share then tap on share ,then bluetooth, then select your win8 pc . It will start transferring. (remember - when your are not doing any work via bluetooth it will automatically disconnect. When you start sharing some media it will automatically connect. )
Hope this helped you.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't work. And I'd typically want to do it the other way around, from my phone to the Surface. But that won't work either. More ideally I was hoping to be able to freely browse the files on the phone after connecting with BT.. I have the WP app on Surface too, but that only works with a cable.. But in short, what you suggest doesnt work either.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
but it also disconnects in mine , but i can browse files from my win 8.1 laptop . and can share files easily from win8.1 to wp8 and vice versa.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried this too just to see if I could transfer a picture from my phone to my WP8.1 tablet. I was running into the same problem, it would connect then disconnect and I found it easier to move my picture via email....

dimatador

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I see the power saving strategy but its soo annoying that if i choose to keep my phone connected even though I'm killing the battery it should be my choice not Microsoft's anyhow and other problem is connecting my Lumia 1020 to my tv is not possible, this companies are all stupid trying to control ones use of our devices, I choose to connect to a garbage can than that should be our choice, we all pay for the right to use the BT on our phones on any way we see fit. Stop restricting us from doing so.

klokslag

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same problem pairing my lumia 720 with a dell windows 8.1 laptop. Updated my drivers but didn't solve the problem. I thought that there was something wrong with my phone but glad that I'm not the only one having this problem.

Update: I could pair my phone after I clicked the action center (the flag in the toolbar) and installed the drivers, seemly installing the drivers from the device manager wasn't enough.

Last edited:

Arie Vianza

May 17, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 always disconnected from my win7 lappie!
So, Is there any solution to this? Where can I get the correct driver Win7 asked (bluetooth peripheral)?? Anyone with a link?

EDIT:
SOLVED! After hours browsing for solution, I found it! :D
in my case... laptop is Lenovo Y570 with Win7 64bit Home Premium.
Now I can successfully connected my 1520 to it and transfer files whenever I send from win7 (even when they're not actually connected, they will automatically when you click send files).
The trick is to first.. uninstall your Bluetooth driver AND MS Visual C++ 2005 (and every instances including 64bit) via Control Panel in Win764bit. Restart. Re-install Bluetooth driver for your PC (In my case, it's Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software from Lenovo). After this step, My Bluetooth is working fine with my 1520! :)
You can re-innstall MSVC++ 2005 later.

I hope this help.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa