inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
h31367A50

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't you go through every setting when you get a new phone? I do. It's the best way to find all of its capabilities.

You might, i do, but very very few others do, I'm the goto guy for tech in my circle of friends and family, and it always amazes me when they ask questions and I reply " did you read the owners manual" and they give you that blank stare or dead silence over the phone lol

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
You might, i do, but very very few others do, I'm the goto guy for tech in my circle of friends and family, and it always amazes me when they ask questions and I reply " did you read the owners manual" and they give you that blank stare or dead silence over the phone lol
Oh, yeah, I definitely understand that. I do expect more from people on this forum, though! Everyone else expects their phone (or computer) to read their minds and self-configure their preferences...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh, yeah, I definitely understand that. I do expect more from people on this forum, though! Everyone else expects their phone (or computer) to read their minds and self-configure their preferences...

THIS. If a person put forth the effort to find the forum, then it is a safe assumption that they already know a great deal more about the phone than the average user.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
THIS. If a person put forth the effort to find the forum, then it is a safe assumption that they already know a great deal more about the phone than the average user.

...or maybe they are an average user (or below) looking for help on a specific issue. Search engines will deliver anyone here without screening their knowledge level.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I suppose that's true..... Ok.... MOSTLY people here have better than average knowledge of their phones. :wink:

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I think you misunderstood the gist of what I was saying, we need to understand that people like "us" are the exception not the rule, we understand the fundamentals of tech, the "hows and whys" of how things work, so things like computers, phones, tvs come easy to us, while others no matter how you explain it they "just don't get it" this doesn't make us smarter than them, its just that we "get it" I mean I can draw and paint but I could never be an artist because I don't "see or get" the meaning of shading or proportions ECT, its not my gift, I use to get so frustrated when I tutored people how to use computers, to me it was so simple I couldn't understand why they weren't getting it, it took time to understand that different people have different gifts and ability's and some people no matter how hard they try will never "get it" bare in mind that there was a reason why 95% of all VCRS that were sold flashed 12:00 all the time, its not that they were dumb, they just couldn't "get it" no matter how many times they read the instructions lol, now some people are just lazy, but not most, most just don't " get it " and never will, take this threads issue as an example, to me when I first got my phone the amber alerts were on by default, very annoying, but I understood what most likely controlled this so I knew where to start looking, but most people won't ever make that "connection" and thus they get frustrated, to you and I it was simple, to them it sucked because they didn't understand the " how things work " and so didn't know where to start looking, that's why the forums exist, for people like us who get it, can help those who will never get it, to me I'm always glad to be able to help If I can cause lord knows there's alot of things in other areas of life I just don't get, and I'm always grateful when someone who does is willing to help lol

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I think you misunderstood the gist of what I was saying, we need to understand that people like "us" are the exception not the rule, we understand the fundamentals of tech, the "hows and whys" of how things work, so things like computers, phones, tvs come easy to us, while others no matter how you explain it they "just don't get it" this doesn't make us smarter than them, its just that we "get it" I mean I can draw and paint but I could never be an artist because I don't "see or get" the meaning of shading or proportions ECT, its not my gift, I use to get so frustrated when I tutored people how to use computers, to me it was so simple I couldn't understand why they weren't getting it, it took time to understand that different people have different gifts and ability's and some people no matter how hard they try will never "get it" bare in mind that there was a reason why 95% of all VCRS that were sold flashed 12:00 all the time, its not that they were dumb, they just couldn't "get it" no matter how many times they read the instructions lol, now some people are just lazy, but not most, most just don't " get it " and never will, take this threads issue as an example, to me when I first got my phone the amber alerts were on by default, very annoying, but I understood what most likely controlled this so I knew where to start looking, but most people won't ever make that "connection" and thus they get frustrated, to you and I it was simple, to them it sucked because they didn't understand the " how things work " and so didn't know where to start looking, that's why the forums exist, for people like us who get it, can help those who will never get it, to me I'm always glad to be able to help If I can cause lord knows there's alot of things in other areas of life I just don't get, and I'm always grateful when someone who does is willing to help lol

Ummm..... Did you read what I wrote? Do you see where I didn't say we on this board were smarter than everyone else? Or better? Or more good-looking? I simply said that we have better knowledge of our phones.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Ummm..... Did you read what I wrote? Do you see where I didn't say we on this board were smarter than everyone else? Or better? Or more good-looking? I simply said that we have better knowledge of our phones.

Hey hop, my apologies if you felt my comment was in any ways directed at you or anyone else, it was not, its just when I read MY comment, your comment and the other posters comment, as a whole we sounded a bit condescending in my opinion, and I just felt the need to clarify that we, or I, did not mean to come across that way, my bad if you felt slighted in any way, it was not intended that way

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't you go through every setting when you get a new phone? I do. It's the best way to find all of its capabilities.

I sure don't. Granted that is not a bad idea. I am actually fairly able to grasp on to new things and technology easily enough without much delays or reading manual simply by trial and error but I generally don't go through the settings unless I actually have a reason too.

Although one thing I notice about windows phone is that I hate the way the settings are set up. They are kt organized the best way and you have to go into menu after menu after menu to turn off things sometimes.

And the places you find stuff aren't exactly in this places you expect to find them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre