Auto debit of my credit card?

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
HI

I had only purchased one apps from Window store using my credit card. And AFAIK, I did not choose to save my credit card detail into my ATIV S.

I didn't purchase any more apps but today, I receive a notification from my bank saying there is a ~USD1.00 charge to that same credit card. Can Window Store do that without notifiying me and asking for my permission?

As for that USD1 charge, I suspect it is for the Whatsapp app that I installed and use about 10 days ago. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for any info

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
a $1.00 charge ( not 0.99c) is usually a "hold" (bank version of pinging your phone but a CC instead) to make sure
that your card is valid/real you'll be credited in (up to ) 30 days -usually less.
Same thing that happens when you use a CC at a gas station, most don't even notice but it's standard practice.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
a $1.00 charge ( not 0.99c) is usually a "hold" (bank version of pinging your phone but a CC instead) to make sure
that your card is valid/real you'll be credited in (up to ) 30 days -usually less.
Same thing that happens when you use a CC at a gas station, most don't even notice but it's standard practice.

Please read my earlier post again. I have not authorize nor input in my credit card details so how could they be able to charge to my credit card?

FYI, they did not charge in USD because I am not in USA. It's in my local currency equivalent.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Please read my earlier post again. I have not authorize nor input in my credit card details so how could they be able to charge to my credit card?

FYI, they did not charge in USD because I am not in USA. It's in my local currency equivalent.
How did you pay for the one app that you did purchase?

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
How did you pay for the one app that you did purchase?

I did pay for only 1 apps using the same credit card.

But I had not authorize nor been informed by Window Store for any other apps. So can they do that? In fact, I still don't quite know what's the 2nd apps that they charged me for although I suspected it’s for Whatsapp but I am not sure. Hence my query here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did pay for only 1 apps using the same credit card.

But I had not authorize nor been informed by Window Store for any other apps. So can they do that? In fact, I still don't quite know what's the 2nd apps that they charged me for although I suspected it’s for Whatsapp but I am not sure. Hence my query here.

Please see the information here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How? Which email address? Pls advise

From the bottom of the page in the link I provided:
[h=3]Notes[/h]
  • You can only see your billing history after you've added a payment method to your account.
  • To print your billing history, tap or click show print view, and then tap or click print.
  • If you have billing questions related to the Windows Store, go to the Microsoft support website, select the Category for your question, and then choose a support option.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the advise. I have a nice chat with a lady and it's confirm it's their mistake and a refund is in order.

From the conversation, my conclusion is, it may be better to use a Debit Card instead of a Credit Card for buying apps.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the advise. I have a nice chat with a lady and it's confirm it's their mistake and a refund is in order.

From the conversation, my conclusion is, it may be better to use a Debit Card instead of a Credit Card for buying apps.

How is that a valid conclusion?

1. If this sort of mistake happens with a debit card, that money's gone from your account, until and if the issue gets resolved and you receive a refund.

2. Legal protection for the card holder on all fraudulent CC transactions is much better than on DC transactions.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

1. If this sort of mistake happens with a debit card, that money's gone from your account, until and if the issue gets resolved and you receive a refund.

2. Legal protection for the card holder on all fraudulent CC transactions is much better than on DC transactions.

In the US. Not necessarily other countries, as they are not bound by our laws.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site

I am not in the USA so the protection you mentioned doesn't apply.

With Debit Card, I can opt to be a small fixed amount....say USD50 equivalent for apps purchase. The most I will lose would be USD50. Whereas my Credit Card limit is much higher in the thousands so I could potentially lose more, assuming someone stole my phone and went onto a spending spree.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I am not in the USA so the protection you mentioned doesn't apply.

With Debit Card, I can opt to be a small fixed amount....say USD50 equivalent for apps purchase. The most I will lose would be USD50. Whereas my Credit Card limit is much higher in the thousands so I could potentially lose more, assuming someone stole my phone and went onto a spending spree.

I am not in the USA either. Similar rules apply in India as well.

That logic is flawed. With a credit card, assuming you report the transaction within 48 hrs (in Indian banking rules) you have not 'lost' anything. You are not liable to pay for fraudulent transactions. With a DC, that money is gone until the refund.

A debit card's limit is effectively the current balance of the account it is linked to. Most people keep more than $50 in their accounts. Are you saying you would keep a separate bank account and debit card just for app purchasing? That doesn't seem to make sense.

Specifically, if you see a fraudulent DC transaction and attempt to reverse it after the fact, the bank will almost never agree since the settlement is instant, and reversal of a settled transaction is extremely difficult. From personal experience, they'll first cancel your debit card and then refuse to issue one until the matter is resolved. Then they'll ask for proof of a police report and a written complaint, and then it takes months to get the whole thing done. With a CC transaction it's simpler. The bank doesn't settle the transaction immediately, these are done in bulk 1-3 times a month. So a 'hold' is placed on that fraudulent transaction until the bank finishes investigating. Basically, with a DC the money has left the bank and gone to the seller almost immediately. With a CC it takes some time. Therefore, banks are more amenable to fixing CC fraud.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about that. But I once has a dispute with CC and they pretty much couldn't care less and just ask me to talk to the merchant. If it's a fraud, don't think I would know which merchant or how to contact the merchant in question.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure about that. But I once has a dispute with CC and they pretty much couldn't care less and just ask me to talk to the merchant. If it's a fraud, don't think I would know which merchant or how to contact the merchant in question.

Change your bank then. The local banks, SBI, HDFC, ICICI etc are very crappy in this regard. I bank with Citi, HSBC and Standard Chartered, and their service on these issues has always been excellent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234