System Data usage?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello. Ive had my WP8 for about two weeks now. Checking out the Data Sense app it says the "system" has used over 60MB of cellular data.

What is this? I tried searching the web but couldnt figure it out. Any info on what the "system" data usage would be great.

P.S. I checked and everything else is listed (tethering, maps, email...etc.) no idea was "system" data is and why it eats >60MB every two weeks.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Emails, surfing the web, watching online movies downloading music, etc uses data. Even some apps use a little bit of data.
In Data Sense swipe the screen to the left and it will show you how much data is Cellular data and what was thru Wi-Fi
60 MB is nothing, Wi-Fi is best depending on your provider it uses data but "data" that comes OTA Wi-Fi) is not reduced from to your data plan and won't show up.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand that PB_H. When I swipe to the left at the bottom of the list there is a label for "system" and I am curious as to what that is. Its not email, browsing the web, tethering...etc. Those all have their own label for me to look at its usage. This is the only one in the list that I cannot figure out what exactly it is.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
look at all the items listed in SYSTEM some of those use data. 60 MB is nothing really. "System" isn't one thing.

Does you phone ever get notices for app updates ? that is part of the system, my "system" says 9MB cellular and 89MB Wi-Fi...
System is like the mysterious "other" in storage What is "system" on your computer is it ONE thing or hundreds ?

Good luck finding out what everything system entails... Skydrive

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
look at all the items listed in SYSTEM some of those use data. 60 MB is nothing really. "System" isn't one thing.

Does you phone ever get notices for app updates ? that is part of the system, my "system" says 9MB cellular and 89MB Wi-Fi...
System is like the mysterious "other" in storage What is "system" on your computer is it ONE thing or hundreds ?

Good luck finding out what everything system entails... Skydrive
Yeah I figure it entails a lot of things. Thats what I want to know, what exactly it all entails. So you are able to look at detailed status of what "system" is? See I cant. Its just in the list of things that use data.

App updates and such make sense. I have the setting turned off to send my usage to Microsoft so it cant invove that.

Oh well I guess its like you said witj the mysterious "other". I just thoght someone might know the actual details behind it as there isnt a way to look or find out exactly what it is.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I figure it entails a lot of things. Thats what I want to know, what exactly it all entails. So you are able to look at detailed status of what "system" is? See I cant. Its just in the list of things that use data.

App updates and such make sense. I have the setting turned off to send my usage to Microsoft so it cant invove that.

Oh well I guess its like you said witj the mysterious "other". I just thoght someone might know the actual details behind it as there isnt a way to look or find out exactly what it is.

when you slide over to USAGE in Data Sense the top of the screen has a Circle (total usage) in
dark green and light green with LIGHT green indicating Cellular data and Dark green Wi-Fi data,
each item in the list has a bar under it in light green or dark green indicating what type & amount of data that was used.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
when you slide over to USAGE in Data Sense the top of the screen has a Circle (total usage) in
dark green and light green with LIGHT green indicating Cellular data and Dark green Wi-Fi data,
each item in the list has a bar under it in light green or dark green indicating what type & amount of data that was used.
Yes. I get this. Why do you keep insisting that I dont understand how the app works? I understand how Data Sense works very well. You obviously dont understand my question here.

P.S. The bars are green for you because of your theme color. The app uses whatever theme color you use. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Ive had my WP8 for about two weeks now. Checking out the Data Sense app it says the "system" has used over 60MB of cellular data.

What is this? I tried searching the web but couldnt figure it out. Any info on what the "system" data usage would be great.

P.S. I checked and everything else is listed (tethering, maps, email...etc.) no idea was "system" data is and why it eats >60MB every two weeks.

what are you doing with a WP? Don't you have an Omni-tool? ;)

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I get this. Why do you keep insisting that I dont understand how the app works? I understand how Data Sense works very well. You obviously dont understand my question here.

P.S. The bars are green for you because of your theme color. The app uses whatever theme color you use. :)

I thought you meant that you don't have the screen with specific usage (Wi-Fi & cellular) with the two different shades of color assigned to each ( whatever color )
And you're correct the color changes depending...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I understand your question I just don't see the point.
Good Luck in you journey to find the mysteries of the universe though :wink:

anon(8200403)

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
System data may include;

Data used for checking updates
Improvement program data (feedback)
data used for network settings ( checking voicemail status/ forwarding status etc).
data used for for synchronizing clock

Backing up texts and settings etc.?
Saving WiFi passwords in skydrive?
Data used for find my phone?

I haven't used datasense in a while, maybe some of the things I mentioned have their own catagory

vlad1337

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
My "System" data usage is very high, and I have all services disabled. I mean I get it when it uses 1 mb per day, that's probably for update checking, but it goes up to 200-300 mb per month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz