Someone tell me why not all but one

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So my question is, why do some developers develop and still support an app that runs on both WP7.x and WP8 at the same time and other developers developing for only WP8? Especially for apps that are not hardware specific. Is it that some developers are more smarter and know how to work with both os versions than the lot? Is it laziness for those who work for only WP8? etc...etc.

Meanwhile come to think of it, the app should be essential to all OS versions. I know WP7.x will die some day but at least most of us are still using it.

So someone please tell me, why do some apps support and release updates for both WP7.x and WP8 at the same time and some only WP8. Wanna know since most mentioned apps are not hardware specific and can run on all WP OS versions.

Another Stupid thing from Microsoft themselves is to release Facebook app for Win8.1 and not Win8. I mean why? Is it not the same core or something? What changed or makes the difference for Win8 not to get the facebook app. Sounds extremely stupid to me on their behalf and really getting sick and tired of them forcing us to live the way they want.

Would appreciate any insights into these bothering issues, thanks.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: first question: Rising Mos explained this much more clearly

Second, they want you to update to 8.1, I'm kinda curious why you wouldn't want to upgrade? I can't think of any logical reason except for being stubborn.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
WP7 and WP8 have different architecture. That means that developers have to develop two separate versions if they want to support both. That being said, WP7 apps can run in WP8 but they won't be great as they won't support new features. So developers have a choice:
- develop two separate apps.
- develop wp7 app and use it on wp8 but it will be features limited.
- only develop for wp8

The truth is that developers will make more profit if they follow the third choice. They can focus on wp8 and crank out updates quicker, and wp8 is increasing while wp7 is decreasing.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
EDIT: first question: Rising Mos explained this much more clearly

Second, they want you to update to 8.1, I'm kinda curious why you wouldn't want to upgrade? I can't think of any logical reason except for being stubborn.

haha...it's not that I'm being stubborn to update but really don't see why older versions are really discarded quickly. I mean Win8 is still new and with the 8.1 upgrade issues, I decided to wait till microsoft sorts it out and secondly need time from work to do it cuz I hear the Win8.1 is kinda big and takes time to do....main reason I'm still in 8. You know I have unpublished research papers on it plus me time always in the lab.....really have little time till maybe a vacation so if Microsoft is aware people like us exist, why should u restrict a general app like FB for example to only win 8.1? It should be available to all.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
WP7 and WP8 have different architecture. That means that developers have to develop two separate versions if they want to support both. That being said, WP7 apps can run in WP8 but they won't be great as they won't support new features. So developers have a choice:
- develop two separate apps.
- develop wp7 app and use it on wp8 but it will be features limited.
- only develop for wp8

The truth is that developers will make more profit if they follow the third choice. They can focus on wp8 and crank out updates quicker, and wp8 is increasing while wp7 is decreasing.

so it's all a matter of choice.....so how then do we classify those devs that develop apps for all versions of the OS??....God sent?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
some apps are easier to develop for two architecture than others. Also, you have to understand that a lot of WP developers are actually part time and they have other jobs. And if you are a big company that is paying money to get your app developed for you, it might be not worth it to pay for an extra version for WP7.

Going from 8 to 8.1 is easy. Click start and go to sleep :) Also, you pretty much can work while most of the upgrade is going on.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a dev. That said, if I had to do extra work to accommodate WP7, I wouldn't do it. For the most part, no one is buying new WP7 phones, and they shouldn't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss