So my question is, why do some developers develop and still support an app that runs on both WP7.x and WP8 at the same time and other developers developing for only WP8? Especially for apps that are not hardware specific. Is it that some developers are more smarter and know how to work with both os versions than the lot? Is it laziness for those who work for only WP8? etc...etc.

Meanwhile come to think of it, the app should be essential to all OS versions. I know WP7.x will die some day but at least most of us are still using it.

So someone please tell me, why do some apps support and release updates for both WP7.x and WP8 at the same time and some only WP8. Wanna know since most mentioned apps are not hardware specific and can run on all WP OS versions.

Another Stupid thing from Microsoft themselves is to release Facebook app for Win8.1 and not Win8. I mean why? Is it not the same core or something? What changed or makes the difference for Win8 not to get the facebook app. Sounds extremely stupid to me on their behalf and really getting sick and tired of them forcing us to live the way they want.

Would appreciate any insights into these bothering issues, thanks.
    10-29-2013 10:35 AM
    The Windows 8.1 Facebook requirement is meaningless. 8.1 is free and available to everyone. So they probably put zero effort into making it backwards compatible because there is no reason to.

As for WP7, it's strictly cost benefit ratios. Wp7 is already in the minority, and Wp7 users will only decrease over time. So if you are dipping your toes into WP why would you complicate things by supporting a fairly different platform that is doomed?
    Chief_Adu, hopmedic and kenzibit like this.
    10-29-2013 10:39 AM
    Most of it comes down to what poddie said which is WP7 being the minority of users now.

Also, I'm not a developer, but even if an app would supposedly run on a WP7's hardware, I thought WP8 opened up more/different API's for dev's to work with. So even if an app supports 256MB/512MB, doesn't mean it can run on all WP7 devices. If the app can't work properly with the OS, it just can't be done for WP7. A dev may correct me on some of that but I'm pretty sure that's the case with some apps why they can't run on WP7 but can on WP8.
    kenzibit likes this.
    10-29-2013 11:20 AM
    dznk, you are correct. WP8 opened up new APIs and changed some APIs, so an app written with the WP8 SDK (software developer's kit) will not run on WP7. Sometimes the reason an app isn't available or isn't updated on WP7 when it is on WP8 is the amount of work required to make the conversion, and sometimes it is because WP7 doesn't allow some functionality that the app uses.

In my case, with several apps in the store, all of them are on WP7 because they were all written on the WP7 SDK. Once the WP8 SDK came out, I updated the apps to use WP8 features, so while the apps are still on WP7, they haven't been updated simply because I don't have a lot of time to put toward the development. I do this on the side, so it has to fit between work, family, church, cutting the grass, and fixing the house. Because of the shrinking share of WP7 both to people upgrading to WP8 and new converts to WP, I made the decision to leave the WP7 versions as they are, and concentrate my upgrades to the WP8 versions where there are more possibilities as well as a greater population of phones.

HTH!
    rdubmu and dznk like this.
    10-29-2013 01:58 PM
    I might as well toss in my two cents onto what has already been said:

One reason a dev might wish to still target WP7.8 is because the requirements for developing for WP8. WP8 requires a developer machine running Windows 8, as well as a WP8 phone, since you can't run WP8 apps on a WP7.8 handset. For some devs, this might be the reason they are still targeting WP7.8. A lot of it depends on the app as well. If there's no need for any of the WP8 features, a dev can target WP7.8, and have it run on both platforms.
    kenzibit likes this.
    10-29-2013 02:35 PM
    dznk, you are correct. WP8 opened up new APIs and changed some APIs, so an app written with the WP8 SDK (software developer's kit) will not run on WP7. Sometimes the reason an app isn't available or isn't updated on WP7 when it is on WP8 is the amount of work required to make the conversion, and sometimes it is because WP7 doesn't allow some functionality that the app uses.

In my case, with several apps in the store, all of them are on WP7 because they were all written on the WP7 SDK. Once the WP8 SDK came out, I updated the apps to use WP8 features, so while the apps are still on WP7, they haven't been updated simply because I don't have a lot of time to put toward the development. I do this on the side, so it has to fit between work, family, church, cutting the grass, and fixing the house. Because of the shrinking share of WP7 both to people upgrading to WP8 and new converts to WP, I made the decision to leave the WP7 versions as they are, and concentrate my upgrades to the WP8 versions where there are more possibilities as well as a greater population of phones.

HTH!
    Makes sense to me....the factor here is time meaning it can be done for both but time only permits for the priorities. Thanks
    10-29-2013 03:07 PM
    This is true. Not everyone can afford a new computer (or even the new OS) and a new phone every time there's an update, so if you're running on older equipment, you're stuck developing for WP7.x for now.

WP7 apps will all run on WP8 devices, but with them you'll have the people with the HTC 8x and now the Lumia 1520 and 1320 complaining about the letterbox black bands at the top or bottom (I don't have a 720p or 1080p device, so I don't recall which it is, or both). Just something for a dev to keep in mind.

Something for users to keep in mind - if a developer wrote his app on a Windows 7 machine, or with the WP7 SDK, there's not a thing he can do about that letterboxing on the 720p and 1080p devices. Cut him some slack.
    kenzibit likes this.
    10-29-2013 03:08 PM
    I primarily stuck with Windows Phone 8 coz of the reasons mentioned above, it is tough to manage many apps if they are both on WP7 and WP8.
    Another issue is the minimum ram support on WP7 was 256MB and hence background agent memory
    is also restriced to 15MB I think. WIth WP8 it is 20 and with WP8 update3 we can go upto 25MB.
    I was too scared to see the bad reviews users leave on apps when they dont get notifications on time or live tile updates, they can be ruthless and bad ratings ruin good apps. So I steered away for now.
    10-29-2013 03:23 PM
    I primarily stuck with Windows Phone 8 coz of the reasons mentioned above, it is tough to manage many apps if they are both on WP7 and WP8.
    Another issue is the minimum ram support on WP7 was 256MB and hence background agent memory
    is also restriced to 15MB I think. WIth WP8 it is 20 and with WP8 update3 we can go upto 25MB.
    I was too scared to see the bad reviews users leave on apps when they dont get notifications on time or live tile updates, they can be ruthless and bad ratings ruin good apps. So I steered away for now.
    Lol...yeah u right :-)
    10-29-2013 05:29 PM
    Cross posting thread closed
    12-13-2013 06:11 AM