Nokia missed their chance for a great new phone

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has missed their chance for an awesome phone. The phone idea is Phonebloks. You may have all heard about this already from social network because they were raising awareness for the idea. Phonebloks.com recently posted a new video that says they achieved their social goal and they discussed with several businesses, apparently Nokia was one of them, but they came to an agreement with stupid Motorola. Do you think phonebloks would have been an awesome windows phone?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has missed their chance for an awesome phone. The phone idea is Phonebloks. You may have all heard about this already from social network because they were raising awareness for the idea. Phonebloks.com recently posted a new video that says they achieved their social goal and they discussed with several businesses, apparently Nokia was one of them, but they came to an agreement with stupid Motorola. Do you think phonebloks would have been an awesome windows phone?

The idea is neat and interesting technically but I think it's fatally flawed from a consumer point of view. People complain about phones issues now, I couldn't fathom what issues would arise in this situation.

I understand the underlying environmental side as well but don't really see this as being necessarily an improvement. It's an open source project so I really don't see it getting very far.

As for being an 'awesome' phone, I just want a phone that works, like most people, if you're into modding then yeah I can see you loving something like this. For the average person, highly unlikely. It would be like Linux of the mobile phone world or some other obscure OS.

katakulli

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this phoneblock concept i think is great, but there are just too many difficulties to make this happen. too many variables which need to be ironed out. too many problems for marketing, manufacturing. i just can't imagine anything close in the next atleast 10 years.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
As N_LaRUE said, people into modding or wanting something very different, will buy this, but I can't see it becoming a huge hit and challenging the big brands for marketshare etc. I can't see it being of much interest to Nokia/Microsoft, but Google getting their mitts on it, I can understand.

I see this phonebloks idea being like the Raspberry Pi of the computing world. Nice idea, open source, cheap and easy to mod. It is a great product (I have one myself), that had a lot of interest, sold quite a lot, but is not really a mainstream product that you see that often. Yes, I know that the Raspberry Pi is a bit different in terms of who they are marketing this for and why, but I see the similiarities.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb