Cortana Always on Not coming to current devices

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
On twitter today Tom Warren confirmed WP8.1 for all devices but seems to imply that the Google Now rival Cortana won't be always on due to hardware limitations.

Check out @tomwarren's Tweet: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/395829011789926400

This is expected since the only phones with this technology all feature a separate chip for this purpose. The next generation of WP devices(1320, 1520) with Snapdragon 400, 600 & 800 have a DSP chip for background tasks. Pity, let's hope there's a lot more to Cortana than always on voice recognition.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
On twitter today Tom Warren confirmed WP8.1 for all devices but seems to imply that the Google Now rival Cortana won't be always on due to hardware limitations.

Check out @tomwarren's Tweet: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/395829011789926400

This is expected since the only phones with this technology all feature a separate chip for this purpose. The next generation of WP devices(1320, 1520) with Snapdragon 400, 600 & 800 have a DSP chip for background tasks. Pity, let's hope there's a lot more to Cortana than always on voice recognition.

No offense but a tech reporter/rumor monger posted the following:

"There's some dumb speculation that WP8 handsets wont get Windows Phone 8.1. All WP8 devices get 8.1." and then "Some parts will be hardware specific."

I am sorry but this is just presenting one person's rumor as fact. There is no actual news here - just unsubstantiated rumor. Until Microsoft announces something all people are doing is speculating and anyone who knows something official will not clarify since they are under a NDA. It would be nice if people added the disclaimer tag RUMOR or SPECULATION to these types of posts.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
my prediction is that always on voice activated will be for the new hardware only, but the old hardware will indeed still get cortana but in a siri like fashion where it is button enabled.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
No offense but a tech reporter/rumor monger posted the following:

"There's some dumb speculation that WP8 handsets wont get Windows Phone 8.1. All WP8 devices get 8.1." and then "Some parts will be hardware specific."

I am sorry but this is just presenting one person's rumor as fact. There is no actual news here - just unsubstantiated rumor. Until Microsoft announces something all people are doing is speculating and anyone who knows something official will not clarify since they are under a NDA. It would be nice if people added the disclaimer tag RUMOR or SPECULATION to these types of posts.

This guy is seriously reliable. He posted gdr3 info before most others. Still point taken on the unconfirmed nature of the info.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss