Nokia becomes the 4th largest Smartphone Brand in USA

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
After years of struggle in one of the most premium and important smartphone market in the world, USA, Nokia is finally seeing its smartphone strategy and hard work bearing fruits. During Q3 2013, Nokia became the fourth largest smartphone brand capturing a record high 4% market share in a market which is a virtual duopoly dominated by Apple & Samsung.

Q3-2013-USA-Market-Share-Counterpoint-Research2.png

Nokia captured the fourth spot for the first time since the iPhone launch, overtaking Motorola, HTC, BlackBerry, Huawei, ZTE & other brands. The key reason for this growth can be attributed to the big change in the Finnish vendor?s approach and go-to-market strategy towards selling its new phones in this highly operator-controlled US market compared to the less flexible attitude during the time when iPhone was launched. Nokia has thus in the last few years of post-Symbian transition has worked more closely with multiple operators offering them highly differentiated exclusive products with targeted and unique value propositions. This extra effort has helped Nokia steadily build its Lumia portfolio as well as win more shelf spaces at multiple carriers to reach at this inflection point.

Q3-2013-USA-Market-Share-Table-Counterpoint-Research.png

Source: Counterpoint Research

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Even though that's good news, the news sounds more positive than it should be. All of this came at the heels of the 520/1. Nokia still has an extremely long way before we all can say they made it. Lets just keep supporting and keep flaunting our windows phone. J/k

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that there is a long way to go yet. But this is a long journey and another step in the right direction. Way to go Nokia. Keep climbing

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I would say another stratagem pertaining to the lower end is to have users want to upgrade to higher end models and increasing future revenue.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
GOOG paid $12 billion for Motorola and are substantially behind Nokia. MSFT purchase is one for the record books.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
mainly Motorola hasn't had any nexus backed phones like LG and Samsung have. I'm guessing that's where a lot of LGs market share has come from.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
All of that effort will be lost when the Nokia name is killed after the MS acquisition. It's really a shame they are going to kill the brand.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
All of that effort will be lost when the Nokia name is killed after the MS acquisition. It's really a shame they are going to kill the brand.

Yep, I'm wondering what they're going to do for future brand recognition.

I looked at the percentages and thought, "so 1.5% change is the difference between 4th , 6th or 8th places?"

Blackberries death isn't exactly what I would call a point in victory for sales percentages.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there is a long road ahead, but Microsoft has never been a company to play the short game. They're always in for the long haul.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
HTC could have joined in and I think Nokia and HTC would have benefitted from the larger overall WP presence which would have resulted. I really thought with the 8X HTC was going to get serious. Even now my 8X still gets attention when people see it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that HTC saw how long it would take for MSFT to put out the OS supporting their key hardware features - 1080p screen + quad core - and punted, hoping the One would sell enough to buy them time in the WP game.

As an owner of the 8X, I'm disappointed not at the phone itself, but for HTC not being in a position to have really swung for the fences. From a design point of view, only the 925 can stand up to the 8X in the high end and nothing beats the 8S in the low end market.

I wished they had put wireless charging in the 8X, went to 32GB internal, and has gone to 8GB internal for the 8S. Wish they leveraged the audio department with an equalizer for Beats and a few music apps and accessories. But we will see what they do next cycle. We still need HTC and Samsung, because if MSFT does complete the Nokia purchase, I don't want them to be the only partner making wp8 devices...

anon(7808135)

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I hope Nokia can dominate the market in the next few years. It would be nice to see people using Nokia devices. Yes i know my name but don't worry about that. I'm big on Microsoft products also.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nokia can dominate the market in the next few years. It would be nice to see people using Nokia devices. Yes i know my name but don't worry about that. I'm big on Microsoft products also.

Impossible if the buyout occurs. The purchase is set to happen Q1/2014 and the Nokia name will be gone forever unless Nokia decides to start making devices again in 2016.

MS really needs to keep the momentum going which I think they can do. Nokia did make the hardware but the most important part of that relationship was marketing the Lumia name which has become synonymous with Windows Phone. Since MS can't use the Nokia name, they need to keep the Lumia brand alive because changing it to anything else would be disastrous for them at this stage.

The problem is, will people still buy the Lumia brand of devices without the Nokia badge??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos