11-05-2013 09:47 PM
113 ... 2345
tools
    There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking on this thread.
    When discussing lag and speed, the timeline to assess is something like this.
    1. User touches something on the screen (e.g. icon to start web browser).
    2. Something happens (e.g. loading screen is displayed).
    3. Action completes (e.g. web browser started and ready for use).

In my experience, WP reaches step 2 more quickly than Android on similar hardware (although that's debateable on newer phones). But it reaches step 3 more slowly.

Another question is how much users actually care.
    If users don't care about user experience and instead care about how they can brag the cores out - they are teens.
    11-05-2013 04:45 AM
    No matter how optimized Android is, it will always go down to specs. Here's a summary:

iOS - "It's all about the apps"
    Android - "It's all about the specs"
    WP - "It's all about user experience"
    BB - "I have no idea what it's all about"
    rockstarzzz, hopmedic and xandros9 like this.
    11-05-2013 05:19 AM
    [WARN] Here is what everyone in here agreed to before joining this site. Yet several posts in this thread have broken that agreement. The very next post to do so will receive an infraction [/warn]

I don't think it will run smoother because you have OEMs and carriers that load the devices up with junk, sure you can remove them but the average consumer has no idea how to do that.

T-mobile USA sells the 521 at $19.99 down, no early termination fee, just the remaining cost of the device.

How many of these actually matter to the average consumer? WP may lack those features currently but it's not stopping sales or harming customer satisfaction which by the way is higher than Android.
    Found the real price:

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/...lumia-521.html

Nokia Lumia 521
    Get great features at a great value with the Nokia Lumia 521. Snap and share photos of friends and family with a 5MP camera that features special digital lenses. Experience a sleek, ultra-modern design, Windows 8 platform, and touchscreen display.

Connect and browse easily with the Windows 8... More

New device purchase requires a SIM Starter Kit which will be added to your order automatically.
    Read 107 Reviews
    Select your credit rating. Self selection may not reflect actual credit available. Device pricing may vary based on your credit.
    Excellent/Good Credit

$144 full retail price
    $0 up front

Guess I'll watch Craigslist instead for those $39 versions
    11-05-2013 05:21 AM
    No matter how optimized Android is, it will always go down to specs. Here's a summary:

WP - "It's all about user experience", I believe user experience is still far from being best on WP, smooth, beautiful, etc words such as these can be used for WP but we cannot say it is functional, many things are broken and some other things are not provided and developers cite lack of APIs for that, so user experience cannot be cited as a strong point for WP yet.
    11-05-2013 05:23 AM
    WP - "It's all about user experience", I believe user experience is still far from being best on WP, smooth, beautiful, etc words such as these can be used for WP but we cannot say it is functional, many things are broken and some other things are not provided and developers cite lack of APIs for that, so user experience cannot be cited as a strong point for WP yet.
    1.png
    capture.png
    eric12341 likes this.
    11-05-2013 05:48 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	48832
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	48833
    But is it true at this point of time? No.
    11-05-2013 06:24 AM
    But is it true at this point of time? No.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-cont...verywhere2.jpg

"The Windows Phone 7 was built around the idea that the end user is king. The design team began by defining and understanding the people who would use this phone. It was convinced that there could be a better user experience for a phone, one that revolves more around who the users are rather than what they do. The Windows Phone 7 lets users quickly get in, get out and back to their lives."

Windows Phone 7 | Industrial Designers Society of America - IDSA
    11-05-2013 06:41 AM

BB - "It's all about BBM"
    Ray Adams and eric12341 like this.
    11-05-2013 06:47 AM
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-cont...verywhere2.jpg

"The Windows Phone 7 was built around the idea that the end user is king. The design team began by defining and understanding the people who would use this phone. It was convinced that there could be a better user experience for a phone, one that revolves more around who the users are rather than what they do. The Windows Phone 7 lets users quickly get in, get out and back to their lives."

Windows Phone 7 | Industrial Designers Society of America - IDSA
    I hope you are not serious, WP7/7.5 was not even fit enough to be called a smartphone, ex: if you had 100 pictures in your phone and you may want to delete it, hold and long press each one of them and then delete, I hope you dont call it part of the 'The experience'.
    11-05-2013 07:15 AM
    I'm a WP User, who used android and iPhone in the past and one of the reasons I switched was streamlined experience due to same hardware. First off, I can tell half of you are unsure what you're talking about or are just complete morons. The only way it's possible to get a lower tier android phone is to have it optimized for it's specific hardware.

Nothing on Android will ever run as well as WP, and the reason why is with every new release/update of an android OS they're optimizing it for the latest and greatest phone which is why the S3/S4 and Note 2/3 will run slow and laggy when updated to Android Orange ( or whatever they name the eatable OS's down the line) and the problem is this isn't going to optimize the OS for the lower end devices. This is allowing developers to update their apks to be more user friendly for the lower power and memory. This isn't going to make it streamlined because every WP7 ran the same hardware, and every WP8 is running the same hardware up till 8.1.

This is the reason that till this day, we see Apple's iPhone behind on Specs ( come on look at the iPhone 4! ) but almost every supported model runs just as snappy ( maybe not as fast ) as the next. MS and Apple have it right, Google can't control the way the OS is going to behave on an open sourced free operating system being used on thousands of different devices. Just not possible.
    eric12341 likes this.
    11-05-2013 07:47 AM
    I hope you are not serious, WP7/7.5 was not even fit enough to be called a smartphone, ex: if you had 100 pictures in your phone and you may want to delete it, hold and long press each one of them and then delete, I hope you dont call it part of the 'The experience'.
    Are you not seeing my point? generally wp has maintained focus entirely on user expeience. wp7 or 8 they have the same design elements, and that UX has been brought to other microsoft products to create that "one expeience for everything". Geezus not everything is perfect at first, that's why there are improvements. Ghad it's like talking to a 10 year old
    11-05-2013 07:51 AM
    Found the real price:

Nokia Lumia 521 | T-Mobile

Nokia Lumia 521
    Get great features at a great value with the Nokia Lumia 521. Snap and share photos of friends and family with a 5MP camera that features special digital lenses. Experience a sleek, ultra-modern design, Windows 8 platform, and touchscreen display.

• Connect and browse easily with the Windows 8... More

New device purchase requires a SIM Starter Kit which will be added to your order automatically.
    Read 107 Reviews
    Select your credit rating. Self selection may not reflect actual credit available. Device pricing may vary based on your credit.
    Excellent/Good Credit

$144 full retail price
    $0 up front

Guess I'll watch Craigslist instead for those $39 versions
    I can confidently confirm that in store you have more options on EVERY phone. You have the buy it outright, Upgrade, and EIP Financing, and that is just showing the Financing.
    eric12341 likes this.
    11-05-2013 07:51 AM
    I can confidently confirm that in store you have more options on EVERY phone. You have the buy it outright, Upgrade, and EIP Financing, and that is just showing the Financing.
    It's showing the full retail price, of the 520. That's what I was looking for after the 39$ and similar posts. The financing and other options were in the web site, but not what I was looking for.
    11-05-2013 08:15 AM
    I have to do that on W8.1 as well, in Metro UI Pictures App....i dont see how this is a relevant statement.
    11-05-2013 08:31 AM
    I have to do that on W8.1 as well, in Metro UI Pictures App....i dont see how this is a relevant statement.
    the links posted were of WP7 so I replied anyways I still main that even with WP8 still much work needs to be done to really see a unified ecosystem
    11-05-2013 08:44 AM
    the links posted were of WP7 so I replied anyways I still main that even with WP8 still much work needs to be done to really see a unified ecosystem
    All im saying is the problem exists on Windows 8.1 as well (im new to W8, so maybe i just dont know what im doing but i cant select multple pics at once without selecting all)...its not just a WP7 issue. I still dont know how the point is relevant to the cause =P

Anyway, i think its clear we all agree MS needs to play catch up here...and go at a faster pace than they have been. Lets hope WP8.1 is truly magical and corrects all the outstanding issues people have been raising for the last year.
    11-05-2013 09:39 AM
    I don't know that MS need worry about the low end, unproven technology from google's kitkat version. Too many in the android wasteland pushed high end, flagship yada-yada for years as being the only kinds of devices users should own. Do those same recalcitrant hashtags of android now retract all of that blather to promote the opposite end of the spectrum? IMO, kitkat this will do pretty much what the IPhone 5c is doing in the Apple world which is not a lot. The main thing Microsoft/Nokia need be concerned with are developers building for this platform. Its happening but more needs to come.

The other elephant in the room IMO is Youtube and what MS intends to do about that. I'm hoping MS partners with an known video streaming company like Netflix and make that platform as useful as Youtube. It is the direction Netflix is moving anyway. Its a known brand and I think would do well in this space. Very well in fact.
    11-05-2013 09:54 AM
    Also, still about 70% Androids are running Gingerbread or Eclair right? Only less than 25% on Jellybean? So is Google going for force update those already sold low end phones over night? Yeah right.

Those phones aren't going to see any updates. So make whatever smooth they want to make, that 80% market share they hold, wont realise it. Only 5% will in a years time.
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:28 PM
    Also, still about 70% Androids are running Gingerbread or Eclair right? Only less than 25% on Jellybean? So is Google going for force update those already sold low end phones over night? Yeah right.

Those phones aren't going to see any updates. So make whatever smooth they want to make, that 80% market share they hold, wont realise it. Only 5% will in a years time.
    <5% uses 2.2 and down
    40% uses 2.3
    The rest use some type of 4.x
    11-05-2013 12:36 PM
    Here's an article from Android Central with the latest numbers on android versions.

Jelly Bean now on more than half of active Android devices http://www.androidcentral.com/jelly-...ndroid-devices
    11-05-2013 12:39 PM

Over half of all Android devices are on Jelly Bean now. Gingerbread and below is under 30%.

Jelly Bean now on more than half of active Android devices | Android Central

No, the phones that are still stuck on Gingerbread are probably not going to see 4.4. I think the idea is that going forward, newly released low end phones will be more usable.

Edit: ^^ beat me to it
    11-05-2013 01:02 PM
    That's great but I think people that are burned by a bad Android experience may not want to consider "future" low end devices because of the stigma
    11-05-2013 01:08 PM
    That's great but I think people that are burned by a bad Android experience may not want to consider "future" low end devices because of the stigma
    That's true and understandable. But the name "Windows" is not without a stigma of its own.

Anyway, this should be seen as a good thing. It shows that Google is learning from MS's growth particularly on the low end, and they understand that they need to get better. In turn this should push MS to continue improving. Competition is good.
    hopmedic likes this.
    11-05-2013 01:22 PM
    I'm confused,why does it matter if more than half Android users are running Jelly Bean?
    11-05-2013 01:29 PM
    That's true and understandable. But the name "Windows" is not without a stigma of its own.

Anyway, this should be seen as a good thing. It shows that Google is learning from MS's growth particularly on the low end, and they understand that they need to get better. In turn this should push MS to continue improving. Competition is good.

that's why I said that's great

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk
    11-05-2013 01:30 PM
113 ... 2345