Android Kitkat optimized for low end devices, time for MS to worry?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Im not doubting the data, im just trying to wonder why WE care about it LOL. It holds no relevance as KitKat wont be supported by all those devices anyway.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Im not doubting the data, im just trying to wonder why WE care about it LOL. It holds no relevance as KitKat wont be supported by all those devices anyway.

Personally I don't care about it, I just threw it out there since someone had posted some numbers regarding jellybean.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That's great but I think people that are burned by a bad Android experience may not want to consider "future" low end devices because of the stigma

You're correct.

It's a bait and switch the consumer supports willingly by buying low end, then buying again the high end.
Over and over again people will but a lesser product when what they want or need is 10% only more.

I don't blame any business for taking advantage of two sales prospects from the same customer.

Microsoft has the exact same setup with surface rt vs pro, "home" vs pro vs ultimate vs vlk/enterprise etc

Just like apple

And Oracle
And everyone

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
iOS is losing market share...

That is correct. According to recently released reports, iOS total numbers went up 26% from Q3.2012 to Q3 2013, but because of increased market saturation their market share actually dropped 2.2% in the same period.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Guys think about this carefully.

Lumia 520 didn't purely succeed because WP was optimized for low-end hardware, but rather, it offered the best value proposition at the price.

When the L520 released the phones in its price neighbourhood were single-core Samsung Galaxy Ace IIs, i.e. genuinely crappy phones when pitted against the L520 (i.e. dual-core, IPS screen, etc). Yes, thanks to WP8's optimization and still relatively decent hardware the L520 did really well. Now Nokia is taking up a notch by offering the L525 with 1GB of RAM, i.e. bringing low-end capabilities up to par with all Windows Phones (as far as apps, games and features go) and Guru!

IMHO if Microsoft/Nokia want to make a killing they need to continue disturbing the low-end as well as destabilize the mid-end.

The mid-end should be redefined: take a premium looking chassis (e.g. 720) and load it with a quad-core S400, 720p HD screen, 1GB of RAM, PureView camera & Guru headphones...starting at $350. From a marketing angle take a straight aim at Apple, just ignore Android/Nexus. Everyone sees and knows iPhone, so just target iOS, and you've just opened another front for everyone to tackle.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The mid-end should be redefined: take a premium looking chassis (e.g. 720) and load it with a quad-core S400, 720p HD screen, 1GB of RAM, PureView camera & Guru headphones...starting at $350. From a marketing angle take a straight aim at Apple, just ignore Android/Nexus. Everyone sees and knows iPhone, so just target iOS, and you've just opened another front for everyone to tackle.

Add a minimum 16GB to it and thats what Nokia needs to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077