11-03-2013 01:18 PM
53 123
tools
    Cool. Well I know and basically everyone else who knows what they are talking about know that Microsoft are recently making leaps and bonus in adding and improving features. Because WP itself is such a well made OS, I for one can bypass some features I am missing over android, which are fewer and fewer by the way. Like people have said, WP has many features android doesn't. If you don't like it, go and get an android phone. Thank you.
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-03-2013 05:36 AM
    Cool. Well I know and basically everyone else who knows what they are talking about know that Microsoft are recently making leaps and bonus in adding and improving features. Because WP itself is such a well made OS, I for one can bypass some features I am missing over android, which are fewer and fewer by the way. Like people have said, WP has many features android doesn't. If you don't like it, go and get an android phone. Thank you.
    And this fan boyism is going to help the eco system right
    11-03-2013 05:55 AM
    This is some real feedback being given. ppl who bought the phones need features which are missing and have been requested a lot. MS has itself said that they are concentrating on bringing features which will support newer hardware. but what abt existing users who are requesting features as well as the many known issues bugging users.
    11-03-2013 06:01 AM
    my priority for now is to see MS resolve bugs first.example its notification system
    11-03-2013 06:04 AM
    Like people have said, WP has many features android doesn't.

i'm curious what features you're referring to ?
    techiez and MyNL822 like this.
    11-03-2013 06:05 AM
    i'm curious what features you're referring to ?
    exactly. me too. And those who say MS is building an ecosystem , MS is providing same or better experience on Ios n android. (skype sky drive etc etc)
    11-03-2013 06:11 AM
    I agree with the OP because we don't even have a battery percentage on the top of screen! There are two things I would be happy to have immediately: A notification/quick settings center and battery percentage at the top of the screen.We don't have a simple battery percentage that is obvious we are behind. You may say use the battery apps, but I want to see percentage from everywhere, and the tiles update 30-60 mins.
    11-03-2013 08:34 AM
    I agree with the OP because we don't even have a battery percentage on the top of screen! There are two things I would be happy to have immediately: A notification/quick settings center and battery percentage at the top of the screen.We don't have a simple battery percentage that is obvious we are behind. You may say use the battery apps, but I want to see percentage from everywhere, and the tiles update 30-60 mins.
    I really miss some features too, and I also think Microsoft is moving in an incredibly slow pace, however I think that the minimalistic battery sign is a design choice and shouldn't get changed.

Why would you need an exact percentage in your everyday use? At least the in the way I need my phone, the bar is quite enough. You can easily estimate 25, 50 and 75 % and see a trend of what it is between it. Are you calculating how many calls you still can make with 21.5 % battery in the WiFI and reception conditions you experience during the next few hours while exactly knowing what app you'll use how long? That's just silly.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    11-03-2013 09:06 AM
    I don't need estimations, if I see my phone is at 40% I will use it more wisely, I don't need to waste my time estimating my percentage because they won't simply add it in.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-03-2013 09:31 AM
    Microsoft is going too slow (and if you think otherwise then I guess you don't expect much of anything), but we probably don't need any more threads about it for a while.
    11-03-2013 09:33 AM
    Willied.. I don't know if you've looked at the features added in the latest version of Kitkat (the big update from the "fastest" moving mobile OS).. I'll give a quick rundown...

1. The 'Okay google" voice search without pushing any buttons
    2. Album art as a lock screen when playing music (already have it)
    3. Hiding the Android UI elements when reading a book/watching a movie. (already have it)
    4. Multitasking improvements (already have it)
    5. A view that will organize your contacts in the order they are most frequently used. (meh)
    6. Caller ID improvements (meh)
    7. Google chat and SMS/MMS in one screen. (already have the equivelent)
    8. Emojis (already have it)
    9. Ability to print (to very specific printers.. so useless to almost everyone)
    10. A few other productivity 'features' (already have it)

SO that's what Google did in six months.. A lot of what they did look like, in fact, they are 'catching up' to WP8. I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

Jonathan
    cckgz4 and teckris like this.
    11-03-2013 10:15 AM
    Microsoft is going too slow (and if you think otherwise then I guess you don't expect much of anything), but we probably don't need any more threads about it for a while.
    Ah. The "everyone who disagrees with me had lie standards" argument.

At least you're not being arrogant and self-centered.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-03-2013 10:23 AM
    I'll give a quick rundown...

SO that's what Google did in six months.. A lot of what they did look like, in fact, they are 'catching up' to WP8. I'm just trying to put it into perspective.

Jonathan
    I thought the update was mostly about performance improvements for low level phones.

The focus on improving entry-level performance with KitKat is, in the eyes of industry observer Avi Greengart, “one of the smartest things Google has done for Android in a long time.” Greengart notes that although Android enjoys the lion’s share of smartphone sales in developing markets like China, those are most commonly Android 2.3 devices with sluggish responsiveness and no access to Google Play services. His perspective is supported by Strategy Analytics data that shows the Asia Pacific region is the fastest growing market for smartphone shipments and Android is the primary shipping OS — but “older versions and piecemeal UI tweaks have led to a compromised user experience.”
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/1/50...e-next-billion

Sure, with GDR3 Microsoft introduced the support for better hardware, but I think that should be the expectation and that the fact that it was blown up that big is actually very sad.
    11-03-2013 10:24 AM
    While I'm not one to say no to more features, I came to this platform for a reason. Numbers are showing that people like what's being offered. What's the problem?
    My original point is that for folks like you and your use model, great! However, their is a whole swath of users / converts that see the current state of the OS and it's features and are tempted to WP but find out that some very simple and basic OS components are missing or lacking. i.e.; file on device management, email attachment, provision for a local memory card, notification options, etal. For this potential group of converts, these simple OS components are "show stoppers".
    If you liken this situation to an American Football analogy, MS needs to get the blocking and tackling fundamentals down before running their "Trick plays"....... Hence, WP8 has gained a reputation for what is doesn't have vs. all the good things it does! Time for MS to prioritize and accelerate those OS features that are perceived as lacking and lower the barrier for potential converts.
    11-03-2013 10:49 AM
    Willied.. I don't know if you've looked at the features added in the latest version of Kitkat (the big update from the "fastest" moving mobile OS).. I'll give a quick rundown...

1. The 'Okay google" voice search without pushing any buttons
    2. Album art as a lock screen when playing music (already have it)
    3. Hiding the Android UI elements when reading a book/watching a movie. (already have it)
    4. Multitasking improvements (already have it)
    5. A view that will organize your contacts in the order they are most frequently used. (meh)
    6. Caller ID improvements (meh)
    7. Google chat and SMS/MMS in one screen. (already have the equivelent)
    8. Emojis (already have it)
    9. Ability to print (to very specific printers.. so useless to almost everyone)
    10. A few other productivity 'features' (already have it)

Jonathan
    1. We don't even have a good voice assistant.
    2.We actually don't have album art, we have ONE artist picture for all of their songs and it doesn't change.
    3.Yes we have this for Videos, but we don't really have an official book app like iOS and Android(behind again) so of course if your in most apps it hides UI elements. Please talk to me when we can have a video playing while doing something else.
    4.Lol, please we got an "X" button, we just barely caught up with them.
    5.No comment we don't have, I wouldn't really care about this because messaging app shows the messages from recent.
    6. Don't know what there is to improve I just see the name and picture and that's all I need.
    7. No equivalent because we don't have a way to text other WP users or others for free through iMessage or Google chat.
    8.All the emojis are black and white very interesting eye candy: ������������������
    9.Can we print from our phones period? How do we have office but we can't directly print like airprint on iOS?
    10. I don't know exactly which features you are referring to, but one feature you didn't mention that they are getting is screen recording and that would be a nice edition if there were more games for WP users to actually make a video about.
    I do like my WP most of the time 1) because I bought it with my own money after saving all summer(I'm 14 can't get a job yet) and 2) because I love the tiles and many other features, but I have to agree MS is quite slow on this OS, you can tell me we aren't slow when we get a battery percentage and a notification center.
    techiez and willied like this.
    11-03-2013 10:50 AM
    That in itself doesn't mean much. One of my sons is the fastest growing person in our family. He's also a fraction of the size of the biggest. He's 6 months old. It will be many years until he's even close to the one just above him, if he ever is. Since his next older brother is 2 years old we have no clue at this point how they'll compare in size as adults.

My point is that you can take pretty much any statistic and make it look good somehow. That "fastest growing" claim is saying "up over 275% year-over-year" based off an increase of 3.7 million sales in Q3 2012 to 10.2 million sales in Q3 2013. Why doesn't the article say something like "WP's sales increase YoY was 6.5 million, and Android's increase in the same period was 74.8 million."? Because of course it doesn't look good, yet it's technically correct. Small numbers make any increase look good if you're using percentage. Apple's increase in numbers was slightly more than WP's, yet they lost market share.

stupid comparison!

When someone is gaining market share other is loosing it!

That's simple!
    11-03-2013 11:02 AM
    My original point is that for folks like you and your use model, great! However, their is a whole swath of users / converts that see the current state of the OS and it's features and are tempted to WP but find out that some very simple and basic OS components are missing or lacking. i.e.; file on device management, email attachment, provision for a local memory card, notification options, etal. For this potential group of converts, these simple OS components are "show stoppers".
    If you liken this situation to an American Football analogy, MS needs to get the blocking and tackling fundamentals down before running their "Trick plays"....... Hence, WP8 has gained a reputation for what is doesn't have vs. all the good things it does! Time for MS to prioritize and accelerate those OS features that are perceived as lacking and lower the barrier for potential converts.

My co workers, who all have iPhones,don't boast about a flourishing file management system. Maybe some of yall are confusing your own wants with what you think everyone wants. I assure you its not that big of a deal

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-03-2013 11:06 AM
    My co workers, who all have iPhones,don't boast about a flourishing file management system. Maybe some of yall are confusing your own wants with what you think everyone wants. I assure you its not that big of a deal

Sigh.

Add File Manager to Windows Phone – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

#2 most requested feature of WP.

Thanks for playing.
    Ek-Balam likes this.
    11-03-2013 11:19 AM
    Sigh.

Thanks for playing.
    Keep in mind that regular people don't participate in this stuff. It's tech nerds that do.
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-03-2013 11:32 AM
    Tip: It takes time to create OS updates. We're getting the third one in about a year with GDR3. It took a year for my Android device to get ONE, and it was the only one it got in 2+ years on the platform.
    11-03-2013 11:42 AM
    I know 8.1 will be a great upgrade for many of us, but those IOS and android users who use that ONE feature that windows phone doesn't have, they'll complain. It is impossible to please everyone. This is why we have choices.
    teckris and cckgz4 like this.
    11-03-2013 11:46 AM
    Sigh.

Thanks for playing.

SIGH

Ask someone, anyone on the street, and ask them to define a file manager.

Thank YOU for playing

11-03-2013 11:57 AM
    Tip: It takes time to create OS updates. We're getting the third one in about a year with GDR3. It took a year for my Android device to get ONE, and it was the only one it got in 2+ years on the platform.
    It doesn't matter how many updates there are, it matters what features come to the platform with each one. There have been very few consumer-facing features added with the various GDRs.
    Chregu and MyNL822 like this.
    11-03-2013 12:54 PM
    Hey, it is STUPID that there arent separate volume controls at this point!

Also I dont know what the hell are the people working on the OS thinking, that you cant go through all ring+vibrate, vibrate, silent modes from the topbar toggle. Because I use both vibrate and sound, I need to go through menu to silence the device.
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    11-03-2013 01:07 PM
    Hey, it is STUPID that there arent separate volume controls at this point!

Also I dont know what the hell are the people working on the OS thinking, that you cant go through all ring+vibrate, vibrate, silent modes from the topbar toggle. Because I use both vibrate and sound, I need to go through menu to silence the device.
    True! And where is the ****ing back button in internet explorer, how can we explorer without being able to go forward or back. I swear if they don't have a back button in 8.1 I'm throwing my WP into the lake behind my house.
    11-03-2013 01:14 PM
53 123