MS you are too slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Someone please tell MS that WW1 style tactics are a thing of the past. GDR3 ads too few improvements and we are still missing most needed functionality like the ability to download, resend, move files on the device. At that rate WP is never going to catch up!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The amount of improvements per update is outpacing rivals.

WP has features that other ecosystems dont have, but people ignore that. Instead they focus on what others have.

In that sense, WP isn't caught up. But the pace is faster than others.

So at this pace, WP will catch up in time. Why? Because it's adding functionality faster. It's just taking long because they started from so far behind.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
but precisely those features Android/iOS has and WP doesent is what pplz want lol
hopefully, WP 8.1 will change this!

I guarantee that no matter what features are added with 8.1, people will still focus on what it doesn't have. Even if it's something trivial, that trivial thing will suddenly be the benchmark from which the OS will be judged. And people will say, "This thing is so simple, how could MS have not included it?! MS will never catch up!" (conveniently forgetting the 50 improvements that did make it unto the build)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Windows Phone needs to catch up. If I wanted Android features, I'd get an Android device. If I wanted iOS features, I'd get an iPhone.

Microsoft needs to keep developing its own features that make Windows Phone unique, rather than try to mimic Android or iOS. Many people like Windows Phone because it ISN'T the same as Android and iOS.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Windows Phone needs to catch up. If I wanted Android features, I'd get an Android device. If I wanted iOS features, I'd get an iPhone.

Microsoft needs to keep developing its own features that make Windows Phone unique, rather than try to mimic Android or iOS. Many people like Windows Phone because it ISN'T the same as Android and iOS.

but people dont see that, its a phone like any other

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Someone please tell MS that WW1 style tactics are a thing of the past. GDR3 ads too few improvements and we are still missing most needed functionality like the ability to download, resend, move files on the device. At that rate WP is never going to catch up!

To be honest I can think of a number of things that need to be updated added before movies. Improvements / additions for enterprise would top my list.

Ek-Balam

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
The amount of improvements per update is outpacing rivals.

WP has features that other ecosystems dont have, but people ignore that. Instead they focus on what others have.

In that sense, WP isn't caught up. But the pace is faster than others.

So at this pace, WP will catch up in time. Why? Because it's adding functionality faster. It's just taking long because they started from so far behind.

If this is in fact the case, the Redmond Rangers have some of their priorities in the wrong order. Market share in the smart phone arena can not be gained solely on picking up incremental pieces of what is left of a slower expanding market space. It needs to be won by taking share from competitors. To do so, MS needs to prioritize like or better similar features of the market share leaders FIRST, then trumpet their differentiators.

forked

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If this is in fact the case, the Redmond Rangers have some of their priorities in the wrong order. Market share in the smart phone arena can not be gained solely on picking up incremental pieces of what is left of a slower expanding market space. It needs to be won by taking share from competitors. To do so, MS needs to prioritize like or better similar features of the market share leaders FIRST, then trumpet their differentiators.

I guess you missed this article then. Report: Windows Phone is the world’s fastest growing smartphone operating system | Windows Phone Central

They ARE gaining market share. Not saying they don't have work to do but it's not all going to happen overnight.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Features are there, and coming, they can be added with updates, apps take longer to come around, and that's what needs to be prioritized, and in that regard, they have their priorities on the ball. Even to the point they make their own apps and get the official stamp (remember YouTube?).

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
While I'm not one to say no to more features, I came to this platform for a reason. Numbers are showing that people like what's being offered. What's the problem?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

That in itself doesn't mean much. One of my sons is the fastest growing person in our family. He's also a fraction of the size of the biggest. He's 6 months old. It will be many years until he's even close to the one just above him, if he ever is. Since his next older brother is 2 years old we have no clue at this point how they'll compare in size as adults.

My point is that you can take pretty much any statistic and make it look good somehow. That "fastest growing" claim is saying "up over 275% year-over-year" based off an increase of 3.7 million sales in Q3 2012 to 10.2 million sales in Q3 2013. Why doesn't the article say something like "WP's sales increase YoY was 6.5 million, and Android's increase in the same period was 74.8 million."? Because of course it doesn't look good, yet it's technically correct. Small numbers make any increase look good if you're using percentage. Apple's increase in numbers was slightly more than WP's, yet they lost market share.

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Had to agreed with OP. Please stop biting the poor old horse "If I wanted an Android I wouldn't had been here." etc. GDRs are bug fix, and those functions that being requested are "missing" not "absent". A big difference. WP needs to get on par before it can even brag about things like "I have my unique functions too".

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I, along with most posters on this site, are not blind fans. We are not attached to WP for our self worth, nor are we oblivious to the shortcomings of this OS. As a matter of a fact, the most active members tend to be WP's harshest critics. BUT..... we also are WP users. I, myself, spent nearly 7 months just learning about all the OS's out there prior to jumping on WP7. So I am a "Mobile enthusiast" more so then anything else. But I am a WP user. I like my OS. And for everyone of "these" threads, here is what I have noticed:

- Those that complain that small year over year improvements are large % gains are usually the same ones that said WP wouldn't gain at all. So, now that it is gaining, belittling the improvements in sales is sorta sour apples.

-Those who slam WP for it's lack of feature apparently missed out on the fact iOS is on"7", not #1. Also, a simple use of the alphabet shows that the impending "Kit Kat" update is Android version #11. The two big dawgs deserve all the credit in the world for pushing mobile to the heights it currently is at. And also took 5 years to get there. Oh, by the way: Android pays royalties and Apple has a deal in place to MS for the groundbreaking tech MS started, and Nokia developed most of the mobile tech the hardware today is based on. Both Apple and Google (which purchased Android, by the way, they did not developed it) also took lessons from BlackBerry. All tech is based off that which came before it. WP is fine.

-Somehow, only Microsoft is getting slammed for fixing software problems with these updates. Apple and Google send out firmware updates, it is support. MS does it, it is a slower then slugs minor update that should never have been needed if MS had done things right in the first place. Double standard anyone??

-MS is developing an entire ecosystem that is reaching across all PC's (which STILL sell as much in two quarters as tablets do in an entire year, despite the drop in use), new tablets, gaming, media, and cell phones. No one else is even CLOSE to trying to build that large of landscape. I would rather they do it right then fast.

Hey, I am fine with these threads. Truly, I am. MS is still MS- tripping over themselves despite their successes. Criticize away. Launch mud pies and vent. I have done it as well. My wife would be on WP8 instead of Android right now if MS had just been a little quicker with some development issues. No sweat.

Just get use to it: This is WP Central. We tend to like the OS.

Oh- We are also right. And in a few more years when WP is an accepted, close to 20% worldwide success we will be real mature in how we say Neener-Neener-Neener to all these threads. Promise. :winktongue:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
i, along with most posters on this site, are not blind fans. We are not attached to wp for our self worth, nor are we oblivious to the shortcomings of this os. As a matter of a fact, the most active members tend to be wp's harshest critics. But..... We also are wp users. I, myself, spent nearly 7 months just learning about all the os's out there prior to jumping on wp7. So i am a "mobile enthusiast" more so then anything else. But i am a wp user. I like my os. And for everyone of "these" threads, here is what i have noticed:

- those that complain that small year over year improvements are large % gains are usually the same ones that said wp wouldn't gain at all. So, now that it is gaining, belittling the improvements in sales is sorta sour apples.

-those who slam wp for it's lack of feature apparently missed out on the fact ios is on"7", not #1. Also, a simple use of the alphabet shows that the impending "kit kat" update is android version #11. The two big dawgs deserve all the credit in the world for pushing mobile to the heights it currently is at. And also took 5 years to get there. Oh, by the way: Android pays royalties and apple has a deal in place to ms for the groundbreaking tech ms started, and nokia developed most of the mobile tech the hardware today is based on. Both apple and google (which purchased android, by the way, they did not developed it) also took lessons from blackberry. All tech is based off that which came before it. Wp is fine.

-somehow, only microsoft is getting slammed for fixing software problems with these updates. Apple and google send out firmware updates, it is support. Ms does it, it is a slower then slugs minor update that should never have been needed if ms had done things right in the first place. Double standard anyone??

-ms is developing an entire ecosystem that is reaching across all pc's (which still sell as much in two quarters as tablets do in an entire year, despite the drop in use), new tablets, gaming, media, and cell phones. No one else is even close to trying to build that large of landscape. I would rather they do it right then fast.

hey, i am fine with these threads. Truly, i am. Ms is still ms- tripping over themselves despite their successes. Criticize away. Launch mud pies and vent. I have done it as well. My wife would be on wp8 instead of android right now if ms had just been a little quicker with some development issues. No sweat.

Just get use to it: This is wp central. We tend to like the os.

Oh- we are also right. And in a few more years when wp is an accepted, close to 20% worldwide success we will be real mature in how we say neener-neener-neener to all these threads. Promise. :winktongue:

thiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
-Those who slam WP for it's lack of feature apparently missed out on the fact iOS is on"7", not #1. Also, a simple use of the alphabet shows that the impending "Kit Kat" update is Android version #11. The two big dawgs deserve all the credit in the world for pushing mobile to the heights it currently is at. And also took 5 years to get there. Oh, by the way: Android pays royalties and Apple has a deal in place to MS for the groundbreaking tech MS started, and Nokia developed most of the mobile tech the hardware today is based on. Both Apple and Google (which purchased Android, by the way, they did not developed it) also took lessons from BlackBerry. All tech is based off that which came before it. WP is fine.

-Somehow, only Microsoft is getting slammed for fixing software problems with these updates. Apple and Google send out firmware updates, it is support. MS does it, it is a slower then slugs minor update that should never have been needed if MS had done things right in the first place. Double standard anyone??

A few corrections needed there:

- Nobody cares that iOS and Android have been around for longer. MS came late to the party - it would behoove them to at least develop WP to feature parity (at least functionality-wise) and then go about their unique differentiators. That "oh but WP is just a year old" excuse is invalid, since the other platforms already exist. The consumer does not care, he just sees the difference: "ahh. this phone has a rotation lock. I think I'll take it" (yes, this feature exists, but the fact that it took so long and that it was such a big deal for the WP world is hilarious.

- Android OEMs (note that Google does not pay) pay royalties for the use of the FAT32 file system ONLY. No great MS innovation here (where mobile operating systems are concerned at least). I'm not aware of Apple and MS in any deal.

- They're getting slammed for adding basic features, after a year, with an update (viz. rotation locks, data sense etc). The fact that these took months to do, is the problem.

edit: all of us have seen Feature Suggestions: Top (38582 ideas) – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone - how many were actually implemented and fixed? Most of these are basic issues with the OS, it is difficult to understand how a company could have missed these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz