Did You Guys Know About This Feature?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I for one didn't know about this feature guys. Check it out: I'm at a different work site today and needing access to their WiFi I asked and got their password. I entered into my Lumia 822 just to make sure it works. It works fine, so now I turn on my HP Envy x2 and get ready to enter the password to access the network and notice that it is already connected to it. I know passwords and EI favorites sync across Windows8.1 devices, but when did they add WP8 to the mix?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately it didn't all become awesome sauce because you can no longer forget WiFi networks in 8.1 so I am unable to forget my current network to try this out
Ok, I didn't know that you couldn't forget networks on 8.1, could you do it on 8.0? Sounds like a no brainer to have this option. Of course is easily done on WP8, I just checked.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I discovered this some weeks ago with my Surface. I never put the company wifi password in my Surface but it is in my Lumia 920. I heard a notification sound on my tablet and when I investigated, I had new mail. I wondered how that was possible since this is the first day in my office with the Surface. Low and behold, I was connected to the company internal wifi. I was pleased, mainly because our internal is a pain to type in, but here I didn't have to do it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not an acceptable way though, no average user would be happy using command prompt and they should have left the forget this network in as it is a vital function to have

Indeed, I don't have an Win 8 or 8.1 Machine to test and can no longer run the preview in vmware to check as I had always bridged it, but I'm sure you could "forget" a network by accessing manage wireless networks via control panel and deleting them? Not sure if that would work on Win 8 / 8.1 rt either lol.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Surprising to see so many workplaces don't use MAC filtering.

But good feature nonetheless!

Most companies don't need granular level filtering as it would keep us busy in the new BYOD world with so many cheaply made android devices around. Security firms, banks, government offices etc, it is expected where extra security is warranted.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Surprising to see so many workplaces don't use MAC filtering.

But good feature nonetheless!

My company uses MAC filtering for access to the APs that connect to our business network, but we also have external only WiFi that you only need the password for as it only gets you external Internet access and no internal resource access.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
What gives? I tried this on a brand new network today and it didn't work! ��

I'm a bit confused about how it worked for the OP. Did the second device already have a network connection? If not, how did the login details get from the first device to the second?

Also, can this feature be turned off? It could be useful in some situations, but very annoying in others. For example, many offices have "business" and "public" wifi networks. Company devices connect to the first, personal devices to the second. I do not want all devices connecting to the same networks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett