Why does WP 8 need a file explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Also, it's interesting to see that the top 3 file manager apps on Google Play (File Manager (Explorer), ES and Astro) have 10M-50M reviews each.

To put that in context, even thinking 10-50M is 10M, that each of the installers of these apps have all three and so no unique users in that pool, we end up with 10M users. That is equal to the number of WP handsets sold last quarter. If even 10% of those users considered WP and were turned away by the lack of file management ability, that's 1M lost sales or 10% more sales.

And before you dismiss these users, as people on this forum love to do, as 'geeks' or 'tech nerds', consider this. When users think about what to buy, whether it's a laptop or a tablet or whatever, they either buy the latest FruitCo offering, OR they go to those same geeks and nerds for advice. What are those nerds going to recommend? One hint, it's not going to be WP...

Someone also made a point of how MS was going for the Apple consumers, who are more than likely not apart of those 10-50m reviewers. And as someone pointed out that having a file explorer was followed by a notification center, what was the number for that again? Curious about it

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Oh I comprehended well. I was spelling it out for you since, you know, we are referring to a "tech savvy" base of consumers, and we assume that those that can use a file explorer are "tech savvy". But I guess not "tech savvy" enough to know how to get around being a "developer"

But I guess we split hairs to make a point

1. Point was re custom SMS tones.

2. Prev. post was stating it's possible on GDR3.

3. Post in question was stating GDR3 is likely to be used by 'tech-savvy' users alone.

On another note, WTF is up with the hatred of 'tech-savvy' users? A few years ago, the ability to send an email or use a word processor was considered tech-savvy. Now it's an essential life skill in many places, e.g the UK benefits system which is online only. The savviness of users is only evolving.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
1. Point was re custom SMS tones.

2. Prev. post was stating it's possible on GDR3.

3. Post in question was stating GDR3 is likely to be used by 'tech-savvy' users alone.

On another note, WTF is up with the hatred of 'tech-savvy' users? A few years ago, the ability to send an email or use a word processor was considered tech-savvy. Now it's an essential life skill in many places, e.g the UK benefits system which is online only. The savviness of users is only evolving.

Bingo. If people in countries know about file explorers and how to properly use them cause it's needed, I'm pretty sure they can do a quick search to find out how to get custom sms tones.

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
let me stop you right there ......those are tech savy people, NOT the whole windows phone consumer base.

1.You mean tech-savvy people should have no voice?You decide it?
2.You can "stop" me as you said or even ban if you can.But i believe this is a discussion forum.You may stop me here but you can't strangle my opinion
3.Father than stopping me at point 1,let's discuss about my other points or you loathe a discussion?
4.If Windows Phone is a SMARTPHONE platform with even excel editor,you expect techphobiacs to use it?

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
1.You mean tech-savvy people should have no voice?You decide it?
2.You can "stop" me as you said or even ban if you can.But i believe this is a discussion forum.You may stop me here but you can't strangle my opinion
3.Father than stopping me at point 1,let's discuss about my other points or you loathe a discussion?
4.If Windows Phone is a SMARTPHONE platform with even excel editor,you expect techphobiacs to use it?

what I meant to say was right where you said that on your first point is where I have a disagreement. while you say its a needed feature beacasue why? just because only 70,000 votes for it but have you put it in presepective as a whole ? the way I see it is the ones who want ARE the tech-savy people not the regular consumers. they are the majority and we are the minority. the tech-savvy people will always be out numbered. no matter how much we are and we are growing we will always be out numbered. so when you say its the most requested feature it might be but only a few percent of users will use it but the notification center it is something that will benefit everyone NOT just the " I NEED a file manager" so in the end it might be a waste of time to put it in the OS and also they are not obligated to put a file manager they have the final say if they dont see the need for one they wont put it ..its a simple as that

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I made the comment that this thread was going the same way as the other one. Guess I wasn't far off. All the same reasons as before:

1. Third world (not a big fan of that term) countries use their phones differently
2. File types aren't supported
3. Can't use Skydrive all the time
4. Those folders on the phone are not accessible by other programs
5. Using programs that want to use different files you need to use Skydrive

Not sure if I missed anything, I'm sure I did but does it matter?

So it would appear that people want WP to be like either Symbian (where Nokia had a large market share in those countries who are demanding a file explorer) or they want Android version 2. I'm thinking both Nokia and MS didn't understand the market they were entering into when they released low cost phones with SD cards. It would appear that market doesn't want to use the phone as it's meant to be used and expected to be more like Symbian and Android.

Here's what I think will happen. Just my opinion.

1. A file manager of some sort will come out. Probably won't satisfy everyone.
2. A more open API so a explorer type program can be made that may satisfy you.
3. Programs will be able to access certain 'folders'
4. More file types will be recognised but probably not all the ones you want.

When will this come? Possibly WP8.1 if not a later update.

Anyway I'm leaving it there as I think this thread has deteriorated to nonsense now. It may get merged with the other long drawn out thread already about this topic.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I made the comment that this thread was going the same way as the other one. Guess I wasn't far off. All the same reasons as before:

1. Third world (not a big fan of that term) countries use their phones differently

So it would appear that people want WP to be like either Symbian (where Nokia had a large market share in those countries who are demanding a file explorer) or they want Android version 2. I'm thinking both Nokia and MS didn't understand the market they were entering into when they released low cost phones with SD cards. It would appear that market doesn't want to use the phone as it's meant to be used and expected to be more like Symbian and Android.

Anyway I'm leaving it there as I think this thread has deteriorated to nonsense now. It may get merged with the other long drawn out thread already about this topic.
All I know is its going to be hard for MSFT because we have people who want it and who don't ( I don't or need one) .the Market has spoken that it wants both an open OS but a simple OS. But the question is ..... how will MSFT implement it or if it doesn't

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I did not say you could do anything with those files on a SD. I just said you could store files on it like a flash drive or USB storage.

I said you can put your documents (Word, Excel and PDF) in the Documents folder on your phone memory so you can use them. Unless your phone memory is completely full I don't see a reason why you can't do this. If you decide to do this keep in mind they cannot be in separate folders they have to be native to that folder.

It's of not much use if I can't read/edit those files in the SD card.

I need to find ways of accessing my reference files in phone (by whichever means) when there are no internet connection in the rural areas. Out of the box, WP8 couldn't do that and I have said it before, WP8 should have a warning sticker about that.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I thought my point was comprehensible, but I clearly need to simplify:

1. I mentioned those usage habits to illustrate why we wanted a cheap phone. FYI that is not ALL she does by a long shot, just all she needed until I got us Nexus 5s. Other things she does are, read her pathology (a branch of medicine) textbooks, organise her day, read ebooks, e-comics and lots of other things.

2. In our pursuit of a Lumia 520, the sales man attempted to dissuade us (dissuade means to advise against, saying "don't do this)

3. Because it had a very high return rate. One of the reasons was a file manager.

I hope I've managed to clarify adequately.

If I have known I could not access my reference documents in areas with no Internet access, I would have taken the salesman's advise and consider not buying a WP8. Other than this issue, I liked wp8

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft patterned themselves after Apple with file management instead of their tried and true method used on Windows Mobile. As it stands, you can only attach media on emails if you begin from a blank draft. If you want to send a pdf, you can only send a SkyDrive link (without a 3rd party app). If we had a file browser like on WinMo, you could attach any file you had in your phone or expansion card, as it should be. If for no other reason, for the sake of simplifying email chores, all mobile OSes should have this basic functionality.

The main staple of any smartphone always has been and always will be, email. From the first Treos and BlackBerries, this is why the smartphone evolved. Along came the iPhone and effed it up for us working stiffs.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
all mobile OSes should have this basic functionality.

Agreed. This is one of the problems I faced when I tried to go all in with Windows Phone. It is portrayed as an easy-to-use, user-friendly device. I found I spent too much time trying to find workarounds or just simply doing without. I'm not sure how Microsoft expects business users to take WP seriously when this basic email function is missing, along with lack of options for forwarded emails. One thing WP has going for it in business world is security, but even then, depending on a company's policies & practices such as VPN, WP can be found wanting.

The problem Microsoft is facing is that simplicity will be lost with more features. It's a tradeoff that the manufacturer has to decide on. Android goes for more functionality but more complexity, Apple is somewhere in the middle, and WP is very simple but quite limited. My opinion is that WP is too far in that direction.

Futhi

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
True that, we can defend this 'smartphone' (L920 in this case) for all we care; but it's crap I cannot remember the number of items I received via bluetooth and to this day don't know where they are except only chowing my space and can't be viewed even when connected to PC. Can we have at least """""Downloads""""""" then you will know 'ok' the file is not compatible and delete.:angry:
My wife has L720 she calls I have run out of space because of this invisible files and inserted a memory card but can't see it or anything that was in it, check skydrive but there is only some of the saved pics there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True that, we can defend this 'smartphone' (L920 in this case) for all we care; but it's crap I cannot remember the number of items I received via bluetooth and to this day don't know where they are except only chowing my space and can't be viewed even when connected to PC. Can we have at least """""Downloads""""""" then you will know 'ok' the file is not compatible and delete.:angry:
My wife has L720 she calls I have run out of space because of this invisible files and inserted a memory card but can't see it or anything that was in it, check skydrive but there is only some of the saved pics there.

Check the "Bluetooth" folder in your SD card.

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
what I meant to say was right where you said that on your first point is where I have a disagreement. while you say its a needed feature beacasue why? just because only 70,000 votes for it but have you put it in presepective as a whole ? the way I see it is the ones who want ARE the tech-savy people not the regular consumers. they are the majority and we are the minority. the tech-savvy people will always be out numbered. no matter how much we are and we are growing we will always be out numbered. so when you say its the most requested feature it might be but only a few percent of users will use it but the notification center it is something that will benefit everyone NOT just the " I NEED a file manager" so in the end it might be a waste of time to put it in the OS and also they are not obligated to put a file manager they have the final say if they dont see the need for one they wont put it ..its a simple as that

You are counting the 72000 votes against all wp users which is either a calculating mistake or a calculated mistake.Wake up and read the facts:
1.NOT SO that all wp users participated in uservoice.Many haven't even heard about it and many don't care for it.
2.If wp is the os in question,uservoice is the official feedback platform where u can beg,pray and vote for adding features.
3.Customized ringtones was the highest voted feature with 75000+ votes and MS has already added that feature in gdr3 which proves that uservoice works.
4.At present file manager is the highest requested and highest voted,UNFULFILLED dream with 72000+ votes.Once again,you can not claim to know the minds of millions of other people who didn't vote or participate in uservoice.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
All I know is its going to be hard for MSFT because we have people who want it and who don't ( I don't or need one) .the Market has spoken that it wants both an open OS but a simple OS. But the question is ..... how will MSFT implement it or if it doesn't

I didn't say the 'file manager' would be like it is in Android or WM or even Symbian. I'm expecting more of a Hub type of file management. That's why I said it probably won't satisfy everyone. I think people need to stop thinking in terms of a file explorer. If any sort of file management is coming it will be different than what people are expecting. That's what's called being innovative.

Part of the problem people seem to be forgetting is that WP8 is a 'new' iteration of WP. It's not perfect. It's not going to have everything. It's probably at it's most basic form.

If you really require a file explorer you're probably best to Android. You may be waiting awhile to get things the way you want them.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

You have summed up the expectation quite nicely and I think more than once, I remember seeing you post right at the very start of the thread.
Ppl need a way to access different file types and not everybody has 24/7 high speed internet access with unlimited data. skydrive is not the solution, I think MS is lagging quite behind in trying to understand market outside US, many users of WP adopted it due to nokia and they are mostly symbian converts, symbian being quite an advanced smartphone OS in itself, so ppl have similar expectations, I think it is the ppl coming from feature phone to being first time smartphone users who are not missing these features much.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
While I agree that "function" (a lot of mainstream apps, and a notification center) is missing from Windows Phone, I still don't agree with this being part of it since consumers have no idea what this means (in the US and other parts of the world that don't depend on it). If we had the same amount of applications of Android and get the latest app on time with the top two, I guarantee you people will look past a notification center and a file explorer. Guarantee

you are underestimating consumers, having same apps as on android doesnt guarantee ease of use, that is the reason features are requested.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You have summed up the expectation quite nicely and I think more than once, I remember seeing you post right at the very start of the thread.
Ppl need a way to access different file types and not everybody has 24/7 high speed internet access with unlimited data. skydrive is not the solution, I think MS is lagging quite behind in trying to understand market outside US, many users of WP adopted it due to nokia and they are mostly symbian converts, symbian being quite an advanced smartphone OS in itself, so ppl have similar expectations, I think it is the ppl coming from feature phone to being first time smartphone users who are not missing these features much.

I was a Symbian user and my experience with WP at the front end was not pleasant. I am by no means an advocate for WP or for MS. I'm just as likely to abandon WP as I am to stay with it. I'm about 75-80% satisfied with WP. I'm willing to wait until WP8.1 to see what it brings. If it still lacks features than I will consider moving but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The 'third world' market is a tough one these days. When security is your main concern and you biggest innovation of late is cloud computing it's difficult to sell phones with those as your key features to groups of people who don't care about either or have issues with them. WP, like iPhone are both difficult products to sell in these countries for different reasons. It's possible MS will come up with a solution that will work for everyone or they may stick to their guns. Since that market is a very large chunk for WP to get I'm more inclined to go with a solution rather than stubbornness.

Again, it's a waiting game unfortunately. It's up to the individual if you're willing to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss