Why does WP 8 need a file explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been seeing some threads here that suggest that Windows Phone needs a file explorer. And I really don't see why...

As long as I am concered my Phone is an extension of my laptop, tablet or PC. I use it to take a quick look at documents, check my calendar, listen to music, read the news whenever I am not "in office" or at home and I check directions every now and then.

However I see people having the need to have a file explorer that can cut, copy and move files from one place to another...I don't understand however why this is needed. I am perfecty happy with how Windows Phone 8 manages files. Sure they should improve the Skydrive app and maybe add a bit more options to the office hub. but in general the only things that need I "files" for are in the following two.

Music and video (+podcasts)
Video's and music are neatly sorted in the xboxmusic app. (sure it's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure that any other music player allows for a nice librarie full of your mp3's). Podcasts are pulled in via a 3the party app on my Phone (since Microsoft doesn't support podcasts in Belgium yet)

Word, PDF and everything productive...
Everything can be found in the office app. It's perfectly organized and It allows you to store files, pick them up from Skydrive and use them as you see fit. Even lost mail attachements are there. I have used it extensively when going on a trip and saved every guide, map and information on my Phone. It was perfectly accessible through the office hub.

I can understand and respect the need for a file explorer by some of you. I am just wondering why it is needed so badly. More than often I see threads about what Windows Phone needs. Some people seem to name features of Android or iOS that are desperatly needed for Windows Phone while I am of the opionion that Windows Phone does these things extremely well and even better than their counterparts. I love the hub system in Windows Phone and it saddens me that some users want to change it to a more generic android-like system. It would be nice to see a few use cases on why there is need for a file explorer.

Last edited:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Not strictly a file explorer, I'd say. For me, it's more about having shared storage which all apps can access. For now, non-system apps cannot access anything but their own sandboxed storage.

And before anyone starts with the whole "but security!!" nonsense, it's perfectly possible to do this without compromising the security model. Just that it would require more effort than MS seem to be willing to dedicate towards WP.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to see a valid point. I can see why you'd want to do that. I don't need it however since there is nothing in my usecase that needs to access files for non-system apps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I can understand where people are coming from with regards to the file explorer however after lots of thought on the subject I've come to the conclusion that things just have to be done better. There's nothing wrong with the system the WP has, it's just not well implemented. There's just too many things missing and once those things are fixed I believe these complaints will stop.

One would be having apps have access to read/write to the hubs.
Second would be to have storage on SD cards with a similar folder system as the system memory.
Third there needs to be more file type options. I know people think this isn't necessary but at least put zip in.
Fourth would be dedicated hubs for different file types, video, music, doc, photos. misc. that type of thing.

I think the above can be done in a way that doesn't affect the overall security of the phone. I think if they did this I believe this would eliminate most of the issues have with the lack of a file explorer.

andraeseus

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I will try to out it into perspective for you. Think about everything u use a file explorer for. Now think about doing that on ur phone. Organization, convenience... Ever hear of a file cabinet? A clothes closet? A refrigerator with drawers? Any MS desktop OS? Now, google the definition of an Operating system in regards to data. Maybe you will find some answers.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Also. If someone sends me a file which is not supported by the system apps (not a video, picture or Office doc type) I can't even download it. I get a lot of PSD and Gerber (electronic PCB design) files, which I can preview on my Android devices. They won't even download on my L920.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I love to get "create new folder" to all photos and videos I already take or maybe add some "tag" feature so I can arrange my photos. But for sure I love auto detect function from wp8.

Aardappelboom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I will try to out it into perspective for you. Think about everything u use a file explorer for. Now think about doing that on ur phone. Organization, convenience... Ever hear of a file cabinet? A clothes closet? A refrigerator with drawers? Any MS desktop OS? Now, google the definition of an Operating system in regards to data. Maybe you will find some answers.

First of all, I am not trying to go against the idea. From my perspective I never saw the need for it, hence the new thread. It is not because my perspective is vastly different than yours that I am unaware of what a file explorer is and what it can do.

Don't worry, I know the convenience of file management. I was just wondering if people could give me a few pointers as to why there is a file explorer needed. Some people have given me these examples. I however never saw the need for it on my phone. I even like the implementation, however limited it is, on Windows Phone quite a lot. I think N_LaREU said it best that they could improve on it.

I was just wondering what people do on their phones that needs these features. That was my only incentive of starting this thread. I must say however that my opening post might not have been to clear on this.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been a huge advocate against a file explorer (such as Android has) but I do believe there should be some flexibility in how we save and open files. WITHIN the Pictures folder, the option to create more folders for the images we save would be nice. Same goes for within Documents and Videos! But I do not think that we should have an option to put documents in videos folder or videos in documents folder or any other combination. Music should automatically sort by Artist like it is already.

We should also be able to allow apps to access these files ONLY when the user accepts it. Similarly to W8 when you have the modern file browser open up. However it should limit you specifically to the Pictures folder, Documents folder, or Video folder depending on what the app is trying to access.

Working at Geek Squad has made it really obvious to me that the File Explorer is not good for the common user. When they try to back up their media and have no idea where everything is they tend to lose a lot of information. It's a real pain to locate all their music and all their pictures and videos and documents, they don't understand that every app uses a different part of their storage.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well from my personal experience the only people that I know that actually use a file explore are the cellphone enthusiast. But when I see friends with Androids always complain that they don't know where they put their files or when they install an App the app creates a folder and other things and get annoyed.....nows not the time to mimic android in a file explorer because I see it as a useless thing. I'm still against the whole file explorer thing but IF MSFT could add a file manager that doesn't add a security risk and still have a fluid ,stable os then OK. but the way I see it is if MSFT does add one it would have to be all in or none at all because people will complain if its not like Android because its not as a good file manager as android and if they don't add one people will complain that its like apple and closed down.

nelsonecm

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
People is always complaining about something, I don't get why some people in those threads is saying that Windows Phone needs a file explorer to succeed, iOS doesn't have it and it's successful.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
People is always complaining about something, I don't get why some people in those threads is saying that Windows Phone needs a file explorer to succeed, iOS doesn't have it and it's successful.

Two reasons.

One, Android users hate anything Apple and could care less.
Two, people assume that if it has 'Windows' on it, it should have some form of file management.

P.S.

There is a third. Some users are from Symbian and like Nokia.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The phone may be an extension of your main computer, and WP is obviously built upon that, but with devices like Lumia 1520 it's not enough. That class of devices is known as 'phablets' for a reason - they're the middle ground between phones and tablets, not only in size, but functionality. And with the great set of functionality Windows RT offers, it makes sense for WP phablets to gain some of it. And then, it just makes sense to not hide away that functionality from phones that are essentially the same, just with a smaller screen.

On my Galaxy Note 2, I once wrote a big text document, - proper formatting and all (while on Windows Phone's Word I can't even add a bullet to the text, or change the text alignment, or embed a picture, or create a table, or change the font...). Then I connected a flash drive to my phone with a USB OTG cable, and saved the document right to it. And it was amazing to be able to do that. Knowing that instead of carrying a big laptop, the only computer I need fit in my pocket. And I really miss that with Windows Phone.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been seeing some threads here that suggest that Windows Phone needs a file explorer. And I really don't see why...
It would be nice to see a few use cases on why there is need for a file explorer.

Um, did you actually read those other threads? Each of them was probably started by someone who encountered a specific use case where a file explorer would be helpful. Why not read through those, see how other forum members have expanded the discussion and then engage directly with the authors?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone may be an extension of your main computer, and WP is obviously built upon that, but with devices like Lumia 1520 it's not enough. That class of devices is known as 'phablets' for a reason - they're the middle ground between phones and tablets, not only in size, but functionality. And with the great set of functionality Windows RT offers, it makes sense for WP phablets to gain some of it. And then, it just makes sense to not hide away that functionality from phones that are essentially the same, just with a smaller screen.

On my Galaxy Note 2, I once wrote a big text document, - proper formatting and all (while on Windows Phone's Word I can't even add a bullet to the text, or change the text alignment, or embed a picture, or create a table, or change the font...). Then I connected a flash drive to my phone with a USB OTG cable, and saved the document right to it. And it was amazing to be able to do that. Knowing that instead of carrying a big laptop, the only computer I need fit in my pocket. And I really miss that with Windows Phone.

If you created it in your Office section of you Windows Phone, I'm pretty sure there's some cloud storage that it's saved to

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The call for file explorers are few. The biggest thing people are asking for is a notification center. A lot of the things people want "organized" is already in a "folder" for them, technically. It's just now how you want it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6