Why does WP 8 need a file explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
That's right and not a file explorer properly said but a tool that gives us the possibility to store and share our different types of files easily. Not a big change is required also if they don't like the file explorer concept give us an extra folder in the phone like Music or Documents but called "other" and give us the power to save things there from the Phone, to open files from there and to share things from there. I think this last "concept" will be easier to learn for the average Joe.
Or tell me don't you hate when you want to download some file from the internet and you can't store it?

I agree with you with the other thing but the only way we know how it will turn out is when MSFT decides to give us that ( even though I never needed on or want one ) but I have never downloaded anything to my phone except apps but the rest I use my computer or surface to either save stuff to the cloud and then see it on my phone. but I will be interested in if and when and how msft introduces a file manager

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
I don't quite understand this 'extra secure' nature of WP8 way of handling Words and Excels etc and hope someone could enlighten me.

Supposed we have a virus/malware infested Words document. This infected document get uploaded to Skydrive and the same infected document get downloaded into the phone. So unless Microsoft scan each and every document being uploaded into Skydrive, I don't see how doing this roundabout way of getting document into our phone could be more secure.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
I don't quite understand this 'extra secure' nature of WP8 way of handling Words and Excels etc and hope someone could enlighten me.

Supposed we have a virus/malware infested Words document. This infected document get uploaded to Skydrive and the same infected document get downloaded into the phone. So unless Microsoft scan each and every document being uploaded into Skydrive, I don't see how doing this roundabout way of getting document into our phone could be more secure.

while I don't understand the whole virus thing and i don't want to go off topic :wink: but i think the virus would have to be complied to work on ARM and even then it wouldn't be isolated because i don't think programs aren't able to access other files in the phone BUT if we did have a open file system then we would be in trouble

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
again all those peeps who have requested in that site are wp8 enthusiast who want it BUT you have to remember that we are the minority and NOT everyone wants a file manager. regular peeps just want a smartphone that wont crash, wont slow down , able to use instagram,facebook, vine, not worry about " oh I cant move my file here and here and there and oh no I need to delete some files. now if you ask a regular consumer " hey do you want or need a file manager" they would say "what is that"

These "peeps" clearly do not need a smartphone at all. Please return to your Ashas.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
while I don't understand the whole virus thing and i don't want to go off topic :wink: but i think the virus would have to be complied to work on ARM and even then it wouldn't be isolated because i don't think programs aren't able to access other files in the phone BUT if we did have a open file system then we would be in trouble

Yes, you don't understand it. Let me correct this.

Word/Excel viruses are 'macro viruses', depending on embedded VBA code in the docx/xlsx file to do their thing. As the Office apps on WP are incapable of handling VBA, it wouldn't work. Having access to the file system would be a moot point. Also, these are written to target Windows and in general virus writers like to target popular platforms. WP is in no danger of being called 'popular' any time soon.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
say what o.o? .......this is a smart phone not a full blown computer.. if you showed that to regular consumer they would be confused....and if you do consider os without a file manager a toy then why is IOS in second place there are users and a market who just like an os that " just works" the days have passed where you have to manage your files on your phone ... I believe that a smartphone should be easy to use and productive and with a complicated file manager that was suggested is way to complicated and will take away from that simplistic os that Is WP8

Perhaps you should get John's Phone - The World's Simplest Cell Phone | Covering mobile news from all over the world - easy to use, it won't confuse poor little you.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Although it's apparent sarcasm, little ole him that you're mocking is the general consumer that's in the market for a smartphone. Everyone that purchases a smartphone aren't going to use the full capabilities of it, and the majority wouldn't be able to tell you what a file explorer is. Again, it's nice to have options, but don't knock the platform because something like this is missing. If we were talking about FFC support, more major apps missing than the ones we had, lack of gyroscope and compass, no productivity & banking apps, on top of bottom of the barrel sales, I would agree. But file explorer and, dare I say, a notification center, seems to be at best trivial and preferential. There are times where I want a separate volume control and better internet browser options, but I'm more than sure everyone (majorly referring to the general consumer) would not give a damn. If these features pop up down the line, I'm all for it cause that's more people being happier with the platform, but if they don't then oh well.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have been a huge advocate against a file explorer (such as Android has) but I do believe there should be some flexibility in how we save and open files. WITHIN the Pictures folder, the option to create more folders for the images we save would be nice. Same goes for within Documents and Videos! But I do not think that we should have an option to put documents in videos folder or videos in documents folder or any other combination. Music should automatically sort by Artist like it is already.

We should also be able to allow apps to access these files ONLY when the user accepts it. Similarly to W8 when you have the modern file browser open up. However it should limit you specifically to the Pictures folder, Documents folder, or Video folder depending on what the app is trying to access.

Working at Geek Squad has made it really obvious to me that the File Explorer is not good for the common user. When they try to back up their media and have no idea where everything is they tend to lose a lot of information. It's a real pain to locate all their music and all their pictures and videos and documents, they don't understand that every app uses a different part of their storage.

Excellent post.

This is one of those mobile features I wonder who is really for it. You are going to move files and organize major documents.... on your PHONE?? I am not belittling it, I just find it amazing that there is a need for that. It is like some of the people who want to see MS put Power Point functionality on the mobile version of Office. How on Earth do you do that on even a larger screen phone? It sounds like to me one of those "better in theory then in real life" ideas. Tablets and Ultra Books make sense- so long as the real estate is large enough to make it practicle.

Then you throw in the casual user like what berty talks about, and you have that more harm then good example that would apply to what, maybe 70% of tech users? My wife was haaving a melt down trying to move a saved picture from a CD to her documents just recently. Just a pure, hide the kids, dogs cower under the couch, and husbands wish they were anywhere else on the planet type MELTDOWN, and all she had to do was "right click", select send to, and tell it where to go.

Can you imagine how much harder the process of undoing those mistakes are on a mobile device?

*shudders*

Much like the OP, I am not against it, I just wonder if there is enough need for it to offset the potential downside of using the seamless operation of our OS.

lumiadeb

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been seeing some threads here that suggest that Windows Phone needs a file explorer. And I really don't see why...

As long as I am concered my Phone is an extension of my laptop, tablet or PC. I use it to take a quick look at documents, check my calendar, listen to music, read the news whenever I am not "in office" or at home and I check directions every now and then.

However I see people having the need to have a file explorer that can cut, copy and move files from one place to another...I don't understand however why this is needed. I am perfecty happy with how Windows Phone 8 manages files. Sure they should improve the Skydrive app and maybe add a bit more options to the office hub. but in general the only things that need I "files" for are in the following two.

Music and video (+podcasts)
Video's and music are neatly sorted in the xboxmusic app. (sure it's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure that any other music player allows for a nice librarie full of your mp3's). Podcasts are pulled in via a 3the party app on my Phone (since Microsoft doesn't support podcasts in Belgium yet)

Word, PDF and everything productive...
Everything can be found in the office app. It's perfectly organized and It allows you to store files, pick them up from Skydrive and use them as you see fit. Even lost mail attachements are there. I have used it extensively when going on a trip and saved every guide, map and information on my Phone. It was perfectly accessible through the office hub.

I can understand and respect the need for a file explorer by some of you. I am just wondering why it is needed so badly. More than often I see threads about what Windows Phone needs. Some people seem to name features of Android or iOS that are desperatly needed for Windows Phone while I am of the opionion that Windows Phone does these things extremely well and even better than their counterparts. I love the hub system in Windows Phone and it saddens me that some users want to change it to a more generic android-like system. It would be nice to see a few use cases on why there is need for a file explorer.

Dear Aardappleboom,
If u stop seeing your situation as the ideal situation and the only situation,you would have realized why so many people are asking for a file explorer.Let's not try to strangle wishes by justifying even the shortcomings because that hinders urge for development.You need pointers.So,here they come:
1.When phones became smartphones,they started their journey towards being pocketable computers.Otherwise,why cramp 64 gb memory into it?So,if you fill your 32 gb internal and 32 gb external with thousands of songs and several thousands of photos,wouldn't you need to organize them in your own way?or you prefer a scrollnswipemania?
2.Necessity invents invention.File explorers have been a salient feature of smartphones since the Symbian days because it is essential.May be wp8 is oversmart but imagine a book with no index.You can see everything by turning and turning and turning its pages.Only thing is that you will need half an hour to find out a specific content you need.
3.Copy,cut,paste and customized folders are essential features of a file explorer.Now,take a situation.On Christmas Day or on a family picnic day,you shot 150 photos.wp8 would put them all under the same date.But won't you like to put them into folders like PARENT'S,WIFE,FRIENDS etc?

Sent from my Lumia using Tapatalk

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Although it's apparent sarcasm, little ole him that you're mocking is the general consumer that's in the market for a smartphone. Everyone that purchases a smartphone aren't going to use the full capabilities of it, and the majority wouldn't be able to tell you what a file explorer is. Again, it's nice to have options, but don't knock the platform because something like this is missing. If we were talking about FFC support, more major apps missing than the ones we had, lack of gyroscope and compass, no productivity & banking apps, on top of bottom of the barrel sales, I would agree. But file explorer and, dare I say, a notification center, seems to be at best trivial and preferential. There are times where I want a separate volume control and better internet browser options, but I'm more than sure everyone (majorly referring to the general consumer) would not give a damn. If these features pop up down the line, I'm all for it cause that's more people being happier with the platform, but if they don't then oh well.

I think you underestimate the average consumer. I understand that anecdotes are not data, but let me share one here anyway - this may be specific to the India market

I visited home (India, Hyderabad to be specific) recently and my sister happened to break her GS3 Mini. I didn't want to buy her an expensive replacement because I plan to get us both Nexus 5s in January, so we went shopping for a cheap phone. Obviously, the Lumia 520 is better for her since all she does is call, text and Whatsapp, and she can keep it for a spare phone once she gets her Nexus. Like many people have said here, the salesman actively dissuaded us from buying a Lumia. Why? The return and complaint rates are extremely high. One major reason for this, he said, is the lack of a file manager.

Thing is, in a market like India your smartphone is more often than not your only computing device. People don't always have desktops or laptops, even or should I say especially students. They need this ability since the phone is their USB flash drive, media player, storage, everything.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My argument is that it's necessary for phablets - devices even of that size are qualified enough to be the only computing device a person has - but then it just makes no sense to hide away that functionality from devices that are an inch smaller.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I see this thread will start heading in the direction of the other thread that discusses this topic to death. The other thread was a disaster and the reasons for having a file explorer never seem to be well made.

Anyway, let's get to the bare bones of this discussion.

On one side we have a group of people who firmly believe that a smartphone is mostly used for consumption these days and that a file explorer is confusing and not necessary.
On the other side we have a group who firmly believe that smartphones are small computers and require some form of file management as it's a requirement for them.
In the middle, you have people like me who believe that WP needs to do things better but not using a typical file manager approach.

Now for those who don't know the iPhone uses a similar system to WP in regards to documents, they use a sort of hub system. This should give you an indication of who MS was targeting with WP. They also don't do the attach file to email for documents. However, their APIs are open enough that good file explorer apps have been made and can be used by those who want one. If this is a good strategy I don't know as I'm not a programmer.

The other issue is surrounding the implementation of the SD card. Personally I think this was a huge mistake made by Nokia and MS. They should have avoided this and made a standard 16GB for low end phones. 99% of the complaints with file managers are based on not being able to access the SD cards internally on the phone. The SD is very limited on what files can be used on it. This I personally believe is a poor implementation and causes no end of issues. However, I will say this, I think documents on a SD card should be allowed, but not apps. I don't agree with this side loading nonsense. That's old school. We're not Android here.

So I'm a bit confused by those who want a file manager so badly. If the phone is your 'only' computing device what files are you worried about? How do you go about transferring files about? We keep hearing Skydrive isn't an option but then I hear words like 'email'. I don't get it. It's the same thing isn't it?

You can store any file you want on the SD card (using it like a USB storage) and on the phone. You can put documents (PDFs, Office) in the document folder on your phone and use them. You can store files on Skydrive and share them.

So where is the system falling down for you? Is it only with the SD storage? Is you phone storage completely used up? Do you not know about the folders in the phone storage or how to use them correctly? If you don't have access to WiFi or data how are you transferring files? Bluetooth?

These are things I'd like clarified. Please explain to everyone how you use your phone, in simple language, without anger, so that we can understand your needs. It's a bit confusing if we don't see what you're doing or how you do it or why.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
You can store any file you want on the SD card (using it like a USB storage) and on the phone. You can put documents (PDFs, Office) in the document folder on your phone and use them. You can store files on Skydrive and share them.

I know I can put office documents (words, excel and pdf etc) into SD card. Please teach me how to use phone's mobile office to read/edit those documents in SD card?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know I can put office documents (words, excel and pdf etc) into SD card. Please teach me how to use phone's mobile office to read/edit those documents in SD card?

I did not say you could do anything with those files on a SD. I just said you could store files on it like a flash drive or USB storage.

I said you can put your documents (Word, Excel and PDF) in the Documents folder on your phone memory so you can use them. Unless your phone memory is completely full I don't see a reason why you can't do this. If you decide to do this keep in mind they cannot be in separate folders they have to be native to that folder.

Dhananjay Choubey

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Everything is also fine for me but this other folder problem made me crazy.. if i had the access to file explorer then i can delete unwanted data and every thing but i cant access it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Everything is also fine for me but this other folder problem made me crazy.. if i had the access to file explorer then i can delete unwanted data and every thing but i cant access it.

The Other file issue is more complex than that. I don't think it's a simple 'delete' thing. If it was I'm sure it would have been implemented by now. So, no, the file explorer wouldn't have helped.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been seeing some threads here that suggest that Windows Phone needs a file explorer. And I really don't see why...

As long as I am concered my Phone is an extension of my laptop, tablet or PC. I use it to take a quick look at documents, check my calendar, listen to music, read the news whenever I am not "in office" or at home and I check directions every now and then.

However I see people having the need to have a file explorer that can cut, copy and move files from one place to another...I don't understand however why this is needed. I am perfecty happy with how Windows Phone 8 manages files. Sure they should improve the Skydrive app and maybe add a bit more options to the office hub. but in general the only things that need I "files" for are in the following two.

Music and video (+podcasts)
Video's and music are neatly sorted in the xboxmusic app. (sure it's not perfect, but I'm pretty sure that any other music player allows for a nice librarie full of your mp3's). Podcasts are pulled in via a 3the party app on my Phone (since Microsoft doesn't support podcasts in Belgium yet)

Word, PDF and everything productive...
Everything can be found in the office app. It's perfectly organized and It allows you to store files, pick them up from Skydrive and use them as you see fit. Even lost mail attachements are there. I have used it extensively when going on a trip and saved every guide, map and information on my Phone. It was perfectly accessible through the office hub.

I can understand and respect the need for a file explorer by some of you. I am just wondering why it is needed so badly. More than often I see threads about what Windows Phone needs. Some people seem to name features of Android or iOS that are desperatly needed for Windows Phone while I am of the opionion that Windows Phone does these things extremely well and even better than their counterparts. I love the hub system in Windows Phone and it saddens me that some users want to change it to a more generic android-like system. It would be nice to see a few use cases on why there is need for a file explorer.
For me It's about:
  • Having options, period. (and super easy for MS to implement)
  • Being able to rearrange files if we see fit
  • the familiarity of previous versions of Windows OS
  • Being able to administer files and folders, i.e. create additional sub directories, change folder permissions, security, etc...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
For me It's about:
  • Having options, period. (and super easy for MS to implement)
  • Being able to rearrange files if we see fit
  • the familiarity of previous versions of Windows OS
  • Being able to administer files and folders, i.e. create additional sub directories, change folder permissions, security, etc...

Than maybe you should use Android because I don't think a file explorer as you want it will ever be available inherently in WP. This is a mobile phone, not a full blown computer. It's designed to do things at a basic level and a simple way. The average consumer doesn't need the things you need and WP is designed for them.

I want better file management but not the level of a full flown file explorer like on W8.

As for having options, well maybe if they open the APIs enough there may be someone out there who will write an app that will suit your needs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077