Why does WP 8 need a file explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The WP platform is not meant to be a replacement for a computer. It was not meant to replace Symbian or Android. In it's current state it is mostly a consumer device with some productive elements. This is the best way to think of WP.

Thinking of WP in that way certainly helps me understand the reasoning behind why some of the things work the way they do. However, it doesn't quite line up with the security being so high to the point of crippling the system. That in my mind is aiming for business use. For the average consumer, even Android's security level is plenty good enough. It's like WP is trying to cover both business and personal, but not doing a real good job at either. Security is great for business use, but the OS lacks features. For the consumer it might be better to have less strict security in order to give the platform more functionality.

Last edited:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
The phone was set up for the average consumer, which has been pointed out several times already. Average consumer is -> Music, photos, text, calls, social, email, web, games and apps. Most users will rarely use Office and less would even want a file manager. There's enough studies to back this trend.

Mobile Office is a review/general edit software, not a full-blown suite. It's not meant to replace Office on tablet or PC. The average size of most documents (Word/Excel) are typically under 1MB.

The large quantity of memory is to compete with other platforms. The average consumer doesn't require large memory. Statistics have shown that most people have few apps and games on their mobile. Most memory is used for photos and music.

Keep in mind, we're talking about where MS has targeted it's product which is 'first world' consumer and this is the general statistics that they have used in thinking about their product. They have also copied some aspects from Apple and their primary concern is security and ecosystem.

The WP platform is not meant to be a replacement for a computer. It was not meant to replace Symbian or Android. In it's current state it is mostly a consumer device with some productive elements. This is the best way to think of WP.

First world consumer has Apple. With that attitude WP will be SOL soon.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of WP in that way certainly helps me understand the reasoning behind why some of the things work the way they do. However, it doesn't quite line up with the security being so high to the point of crippling the system. That in my mind is aiming for business use. For the average consumer, even Android's security level is plenty good enough. It's like WP is trying to cover both business and personal, but not doing a real good job at either.

Security has been a big feature in MS for some time now. Not just with WP but with their WOS and online services. You could say the 'average' user doesn't need this type of security but the finger always gets pointed at the OS maker if things go wrong. You don't have to look further than any article on Android viruses to know that Google takes the flak over them.

The thing to keep in mind with WP8 is that it's the 'first' revision of the OS. It's not going to be perfect and I'm pretty sure that the team working on WP8.1 and MS in general have been paying attention. However, I wouldn't expect an open system like Android but I think they'll change some things to make life easier and for the better.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First world consumer has Apple. With that attitude WP will be SOL soon.

I can relate to how you feel but I'm pretty confident that if Google could start over again with a different OS it wouldn't be the way Android is. Android started off as an open source concept that Google bought. That's why it is the way it is.

Since the main OS manufacturers are all based in the US, all of them will cater first to the US consumer and to other first world countries second, etc. It's not right but that's the reality.

If you believe that WP will be SOL then that's your opinion. It's gaining marketshare everywhere. Also see my other post above with regards to the 'newness' of the OS.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I can relate to how you feel but I'm pretty confident that if Google could start over again with a different OS it wouldn't be the way Android is. Android started off as an open source concept that Google bought. That's why it is the way it is.

Since the main OS manufacturers are all based in the US, all of them will cater first to the US consumer and to other first world countries second, etc. It's not right but that's the reality.

If you believe that WP will be SOL then that's your opinion. It's gaining marketshare everywhere. Also see my other post above with regards to the 'newness' of the OS.

It relates more to the mentality of the companies themselves, if you ask me. Google is run by engineers, and that culture is (was?) reflected in most of their products. Things are changing, they're realising that design is also a thing. But most of their products, including Android, sacrifice form for functionality. And I can get behind that.

Apple is run by marketers and that is also reflected in their products. MS is trying very hard to move away from Google (see Win7>Win8 transition) towards Apple, but IMHO they took it a bit too far with WP.

w.r.t. your USA point, I would point out that WP is most successful in non-US markets and shows a strong correlation with where Nokia had mindshare.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
w.r.t. your USA point, I would point out that WP is most successful in non-US markets and shows a strong correlation with where Nokia had mindshare.

Yes I know. In the EU I believe the success has a lot to do with Nokia more than WP and I know in countries where Nokia was the biggest selling device maker is the reason why people took up WP, only to realise it wasn't what they thought it was. I believe MS are learning from these experiences and that's why I say to anyone, if WP isn't doing it for you now, wait until WP8.1. If it's still not working, move on to Android.

As for the the idea that MS has become like Apple, I would disagree. The Windows ecosystem is still very open. Apple controls everything in their ecosystem which is why some people like them. That's where you get that 'It just works' line from.

WP is based on security first and maybe a bit of paranoia on MS's part. I think things will loosen up a bit, not too much, but I think 'enough'.

ilovenokia

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE What you have said is a definition for Windows Phone 8 and what it is suppose to do and how it is working.

Guys If Windows Phone 8 as it is satisfy your needs so go on and get it, otherwise start thinking about Other OS, Windows Phone 8.1 update coming soon lets wait and see.

file explorer is really important but maybe Microsoft have another point of view.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I paid for a 4 dollar app that said it could play .mkv files. I copied .mkv files to my phone and it did not see them. Why, because the phone wouldn't allow it to see to any sort of "shared storage", I read up on crazy stupid instructions to connect to wifi, load this app on my laptop and sync files... it's 2013, I should be able to copy a file to a phone, I have access from my "not secured computer" to these locations, why the hell can't an app connect to them to search for support file types.

I had an email I wanted to replay all to with some pictures of a site, I could not, why, cause apparently something people have done for 15 years since the treo days is now not allowed. I love my phone but for gods sakes, "skydrive" is not my hard drive, the 32 GB of flash on my phone is, let me use it!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I paid for a 4 dollar app that said it could play .mkv files. I copied .mkv files to my phone and it did not see them. Why, because the phone wouldn't allow it to see to any sort of "shared storage", I read up on crazy stupid instructions to connect to wifi, load this app on my laptop and sync files... it's 2013, I should be able to copy a file to a phone, I have access from my "not secured computer" to these locations, why the hell can't an app connect to them to search for support file types.

So this is becoming a rant thread now? Let's put things into perspective. With iPhone you have to do 'everything' through iTunes. You can't even connect your phone to the computer and just move files over. I have no idea what app you bought so complaining here and not to the developer doesn't solve your problem. From my understanding though, most apps use Skydrive as a means of transferring 'unknown' files or you have to rename them so they're recognized by the app. I get the feeling you may have missed something.

I personally think these types of things will be temporary but at least you can still view you videos.

I had an email I wanted to replay all to with some pictures of a site, I could not, why, cause apparently something people have done for 15 years since the treo days is now not allowed. I love my phone but for gods sakes, "skydrive" is not my hard drive, the 32 GB of flash on my phone is, let me use it!

You can reply to email with attached photo. Not sure what issue you're having. The email feature will be fixed in WP8.1 so you can attach documents. Not sure if it will increase to multiple attachments or not. Saying that, large quantity of files is better handled in Skydrive as a share in a zip file or using a gallery online. Or how about uploading them to Facebook, Instagram, etc..

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The phone was set up for the average consumer, which has been pointed out several times already. Average consumer is -> Music, photos, text, calls, social, email, web, games and apps. Most users will rarely use Office and less would even want a file manager. There's enough studies to back this trend.

That’s why I keep saying, MS should put a warning label on WP8 about it not very suitable for businessperson who are often on the road and have no access to Internet. And reviewers who reviewed WP8 should also mention this.

To the average consumer, ‘new’ usually means ‘better’. If Symbian can allow businessman to easily access their documents in their phone, they naturally would expect nothing less from WP8. They certainly did not expect the opposite.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Security has been a big feature in MS for some time now.

Hi. I don't understand this security issue and hope someone can explain to me.

I have no problem putting videos and photos into phones using usb cables and in subfolders.
MS made it difficult for me but I can still transfer subfolders (containing words and excels and pdf files ) to Skydrive and to phone.

By making transfering of office document to phone difficult for me, how does it make it more secure?

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
You can't put documents in subfolders on the phone. The phone will not find them.
Put you documents in the document folder in phone memory. Only place they can go.
Never needed anything else to help me get files where I need them.

Optiplex330

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
You can't put documents in subfolders on the phone. The phone will not find them.
Put you documents in the document folder in phone memory. Only place they can go.
Never needed anything else to help me get files where I need them.

You could put files under different subfolder by using an appropriate app but it's very troublesome and there are other limitations.

Only a couple of file in document works fine. But if you have hundreds of file, you need lots of time and lots of finger exercise.

NikLumWP8

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree file explorer is important. Android has file manager, Symbian has file manager too. Concern on Android, it can do many things without need of PC like copy paste file, access SD card (view, move, remove, create folder), change ringtones wtih ringtones inside SD card, extract zip files, read documents inside SD card, so Android is still the most people prefer than iOS. Now compared with Windows Phone 8 today, my SD card has some music files but I can't change default ringtone with ringtones available in SD card, in my Lumia phone memory has some music files too, but if I check on Settings, Ringtones, those music not available. My SD card have some documents files (Word, Excel) but I can't read them. I can't extract zip files, it need of PC. Without file explorer, Windows Phone for me is just a feature phone.
Here is explanation about the important of file manager:

For example you have installed SEGA Genesis emulator, you would like to play Genesis games, you download the zip file using PC or you download using Lumia via UC Browser then upload to Skydrive, then open EmiGenPlus (Genesis emulator) import the zip file using Skydrive, That's just wasting internet quota, I had tried after downloading zip file via UC Browser, touch the file inside UC Browser, yes it opened EmiGenPlus but nothing happened then, so I should upload first to SkyDrive then opened EmiGenPlus, logined SkyDrive, downloaded back the file in order to be available in the list of rom (game), searched in SD card nothing found. Now look at Android, the emulator gives SD card option using file manager to find the files then can be played easily, save internet quota, easier than complicated Windows Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2